The MMA Thread | Jones-Miocic officially set for UFC 309 at MSG in November

beekay414

4 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

I agree with Dana about the whole Stipe-Jon thing. Don't care what anyone has to say about it. Stipe's old? The most successful "old" fighters are always at HW or sometimes LHW. He had a long layoff the last 2 times fighting DC. 

if anything, Tom chirping on social media is annoying as hell. He gets what he wants after this fight no matter what so just shut the hell up about it imo. If Stipe wins, they'll call Tom undisputed after Stipe lays down his gloves. If Jon wins, maybe he fights Tom, maybe not. Either way, Tom wins out. 

I want to see Jon vs Stipe. I want Tom to stop being a 12 year old girl

Its an easy sell for Tom to keep chirping. Everyone wants Tom v Jones, no one cares about Stipe. Everyone assumes Jon wins so its easy for Tom to keep talking because most everyone is on his side in it

3 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Its an easy sell for Tom to keep chirping. Everyone wants Tom v Jones, no one cares about Stipe. Everyone assumes Jon wins so its easy for Tom to keep talking because most everyone is on his side in it

I hope Jon retires after so everyone can troll Tom and turn it into a complete 180

• 2 weeks later...

This 306 event has to be the absolute lightest card in history in terms of total fighter weight. The heaviest bouts on the card are at 155, and there's only 2 of them. Maybe there was some weird FW TUF finale card that beats it that I'm not remembering, but if you would've told Dana 15 years ago after UFC 100 that he'd have a 20 million gate event held in something called "The Sphere" and headlined by a men's 135lb champ and women's 125lb champ he'd sh*t himself. 

Ironically, while some may say that's fitting for an event that's billed as a "Love letter to the history of Mexican fighters" the UFC's early champions of Mexican heritage were historically more prevalent in the heavier divisions: Ricco Rodriguez HW champion, Frank Shamrock LHW Champion, Tito Ortiz LHW Champion, and Cain Velasquez HW Champion. 

• beekay414 changed the title to The MMA Thread | Jones-Miocic officially set for UFC 309 at MSG in November
55 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

How do you not utilize that massive screen for walkouts at least? Or are they saving that for the PPV?

They're using it to put "Noche UFC" everywhere. Use it to put fighter flags on walkouts or something. Use it to blast a huge Mexican flag? Anything other than the card logo lol.

59 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

What's so special about this? They aren't even utilizing Sphere's capabilities inside and put two regular screens up on it ffs. 

How do you not utilize that massive screen for walkouts at least? Or are they saving that for the PPV?

3 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

They're using it to put "Noche UFC" everywhere. Use it to put fighter flags on walkouts or something. Use it to blast a huge Mexican flag? Anything other than the card logo lol.

The reporters said the Sphere's main card is getting all the crazy effects we have seen in concerts etc.   The undercard is getting pretty much standard treatment.

I get the reasoning for the PPV focus, but if you're selling seats at 2K like they did at opening (they closed at $500 or less lol).....I'd be p****ed seeing this.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I get the reasoning for the PPV focus, but if you're selling seats at 2K like they did at opening (they closed at $500 or less lol).....I'd be p****ed seeing this.

Yeah, catering to PPV buyers over actual ticket purchasers is kinda crazy. You paid heavy for 10 fights and you're getting the experience for half of them. Not a good look.