Fire Pettine

MacReady

I'm no X's and O's guy, but even I was watching that game thinkg "WTF are we doing"?! That being said this team does lack a lot of talent. We made some strides, but clearly aren't there. This is the most frustrating point to me, because of how much of the draft we have put into the defense with very little results. I understand we are fresh into Gute's run. I feel confident in him, and I look forward to this offseason. I guess I just don't know what to think. You can make a great argument for Pettine is doing a lot with a little, but you can also get frustrated with the inability to adjust in games. So does more talent "fix" that issue? I wouldn't think so... I guess we will see what the powers to  be decide. I haven't heard any rumblings about him losing his job, and my gut tells me they roll with another season of him. I guess we will wait and see...

I see a lack of talent at DL and ILB, where else is there a lack? This was a talented defense IMO. #2 DL and ILB were average to below, you could do a hell of a lot worse than Blake, though I get he's not a world beater. There won't be much changes to the sub package IMO, DBs and rushers will probably be the same in 2020 and I'm good with that 

Here's the thing, even if we're hopelessly outmatched, why not make adjustments?? Sell out to stop the run with our scrubs. Stop playing so many nickel and dime looks and letting them run all day against soft fronts. They threw the ball 8 times!!! That was embarrassing man. If there's a scapegoat firing this gotta be it 

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I see a lack of talent at DL and ILB, where else is there a lack? This was a talented defense IMO. #2 DL and ILB were average to below, you could do a hell of a lot worse than Blake, though I get he's not a world beater. There won't be much changes to the sub package IMO, DBs and rushers will probably be the same in 2020 and I'm good with that 

Maybe saying "a lot" was the wrong choice of word... I guess we lack talent in the middle, which is very important. I hope for some FA's and a strong draft. I guess my point was, does fixing or improving these positions "fix" in game management? I think that should be as big a point. With that said, I still think we roll with him next year, and I am fine with it. I just hope we can patch up the middle of this defense in a big way.

• Like 3

Pettine in my opinion is not going to be fired this off season.  He is open about his opinion that this is a passing league and you have to design your defense around stopping the pass.  But you have to get them to have to pass the ball for that defensive philosophy to work.  Niner's ran the ball down our throat over and over again. We did not have the horses nor the game plan to stop it.  Both need to be addressed this off season.   Gute needs to address the first, Pettine needs to address the second. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, persiandud said:

Here's the thing, even if we're hopelessly outmatched, why not make adjustments?? Sell out to stop the run with our scrubs. Stop playing so many nickel and dime looks and letting them run all day against soft fronts. They threw the ball 8 times!!! That was embarrassing man. If there's a scapegoat firing this gotta be it 

I think it was a damned if you do damned if you don't thing .. they were going to kill us via the pass or the run and we chose to let them do it via the run because Pettine thinks it takes longer to get down the field when you are running the ball ... wrong ... they were scoring on six and seven play drives that featured heavy run and we sat there and took it.  I have no doubt though that if we had sold out against the run they would have shredded us via the air.  We were totally outclassed.

Just now, minnypackerfan said:

Pettine in my opinion is not going to be fired this off season.  He is open about his opinion that this is a passing league and you have to design your defense around stopping the pass.  But you have to get them to have to pass the ball for that defensive philosophy to work.  Niner's ran the ball down our throat over and over again. We did not have the horses nor the game plan to stop it.  Both need to be addressed this off season.   Gute needs to address the first, Pettine needs to address the second. 

Dom Capers was LITERALLY the same way.  He LITERALLY focused on a quarterback's passer rating as a measure of success.  Pettine and Capers were both LITERALLY McCarthy guys, and if McCarthy hasn't learned yet that the adage of it being a passing league is wrong, he's not going to last long in Dallas. 

Regular season yes, it's a passing league.  But when it counts?  When literally anything even matters, if you can't run the ball or stop the run it doesn't matter if you can throw for 500 yards in a game. 

The Chiefs of all teams proved that.  ANDY ****ING REID RAN THE BALL TO BEAT THE TITANS. 

PETTINE IS A MORON WHO WENT DOWN WITH HIS STUPID PHILOSOPHY AND DID NOT DO A DAMN THING TO STOP IT UNTIL THE FOURTH QUARTER. 

THEY ATTEMPTED LESS THAN A DOZEN ****ING PASSES AND SCORED 37 POINTS AGAINST US. 

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:
9 minutes ago, minnypackerfan said:

Dom Capers was LITERALLY the same way.  He LITERALLY focused on a quarterback's passer rating as a measure of success.  Pettine and Capers were both LITERALLY McCarthy guys, and if McCarthy hasn't learned yet that the adage of it being a passing league is wrong, he's not going to last long in Dallas. 

Regular season yes, it's a passing league.  But when it counts?  When literally anything even matters, if you can't run the ball or stop the run it doesn't matter if you can throw for 500 yards in a game. 

The Chiefs of all teams proved that.  ANDY ****ING REID RAN THE BALL TO BEAT THE TITANS. 

PETTINE IS A MORON WHO WENT DOWN WITH HIS STUPID PHILOSOPHY AND DID NOT DO A DAMN THING TO STOP IT UNTIL THE FOURTH QUARTER. 

THEY ATTEMPTED LESS THAN A DOZEN ****ING PASSES AND SCORED 37 POINTS AGAINST US. 

but why are you yelling, he basically said the same thing you said

3 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

All-22 isn't up yet so I'm just watching the TV feed, but let's not leave the DBs out of this. 

Jaire, Tramon, Amos, and Savage in particular were all targeted in the run game in the first half. All regularly flunked the test. 

was rough seeing Savage's bad angles and getting trucked :(

Need jumps from him and Jaire to have a shot at a championship level defense next year IMO.

AT LEAST DOM CAPERS HAS THE EXCUSE OF NOT BEING PREPARED FOR A GENERALLY SURPRISING/NEW QB RISK AND THE NINERS ACTUALLY THREW THE FOOTBALL AS WELL AS RAN IT WHEN WE GOT DOMINATED BY KAEPERNICK. 

Why are people defending Pettine?  It's one thing if it WORKED and we actually stopped the pass when they attempted to pass due to not selling out to stop the run, but IT DID NOT WORK!

Garoppolo attempted 8 passes and completed 6 of them for 77 yards.  That's 9.6 yards per attempt.