2020 Titans Off-Season

KingTitan

11 hours ago, Titan89 said:

This is the most crucial offseason this franchise has had in at least a decade imo. Decisions made will be franchise altering and I think either this team is right in the thick of things next year or we will be wishing we were 9-7 again. I honestly am not envious of the decision makers who have to sort through all of this.

Even the world's biggest optimist never saw a season like that for Tannehill. I am sure when we traded for him the hope was he could game manage with Henry running to keep us on the right path. However, he made some huge throws and really gelled in this offense so now there is the Tannehill conundrum this offseason.

The question is am I comfortable with giving Ryan Tannehill 30 million a year cap hit wise to be our QB for the next five years or so? If I am being honest...... no. As much as I loved how exciting our offense was, outside of the New Orleans game this team lived and died by Derrick Henry and the offensive line run blocking. Derrick Henry was the reason we won two playoff games. When he couldn't get going against KC look what happened.

Seeing some of the other QBs with huge cap hits in the NFL honestly it is scary to see how much average QBs get paid. Tannehill was exceptional this year but he is not a top five QB in this league and most certainly should not be paid like one. Bottom top 10 to top 15 maybe.

Working against Tannehill too is the fact that this is the best market with the most capable starting level QBs we have seen in a long time assuming lots make it to free agency and I think many will.

If Tannehill is going to cost $30 million per year against the cap then I am sorry give me Brady, Rivers, Bridgewater, Winston or even take a shot on a guy like Alex Smith (assuming he is able to play) or even Taysom Hill. Personally I would try and get Newton but he may cost a ton. Yes I am aware with Brady and Rivers the offense would need to change a bit to make up for the less mobility. Winston is a turnover machine but he has a huge arm and can easily do the play action beat you deep throws with Henry running a lot. Alex Smith if recovered is capable and was mobile hopefully he still would be but who knows this is a wild card. I think both Bridgewater and Hill can be quality starters mind you they are more unknown especially Hill. Newton IMO would be a great fit for this offense and would be elite for us if somehow we could get him.

That all being said, I am sorry but to me I would be scared as hell to commit long term to Tannehill with such a huge cap hit when he had a great half of a season and Henry was the main reason he was effective more often than not.

I really don't know what is going to happen this offseason which is both exciting and nerve wracking. If we re-sign Tannehill I would be fine with it I like Tannehill but if we give him a huge contract for many years I am definitely going to be concerned.

Henry to me is a must re-sign as the price for RBs is not expensive and you cannot overstate what he means to this team. Again the work load on RBs is concerning but I don't see how the Titans could justify letting Henry their leader, most productive offensive player and most marketable player leave.

If you want to choose to believe that the statistically most replaceable person on the field isn't replaceable, that's fine. He's a star player.

But suggesting you'd rather sign someone like Alex Smith, Phillip Rivers, or Taysom Hill to play QB for us because you don't want to pay a QB is basically like suggesting you'd rather be 4-12 next year than have a winning season.

Ryan Tannehill isn't our only option at QB next season, but he is easily our best and most realistically obtainable option. We don't have to commit to him long-term if we don't want to.

Plus, we don't need Taysom Hill. We already have a fullback. He's 6 of 13, 0 TDs and 1 INT in his career with Sean Payton as his coach. How on Earth could we possible consider Ryan Tannehill to that acceptable, but Derrick Henry isn't replaceable?????

Edited by TitanSS

7 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

I’ll be glad when Henry is resigned and this thread turns to something else. Then again, it’ll be judged every time he has a bad game much like the whole Mariota debacle on if he was a franchise QB. You’re not replacing our best offensive player with ease like some of you think. I don’t need advanced bs stats to tell me he’s the one who was the biggest reason this team made the playoffs and made a run. Obviously other guys stepped up and Tannehill was big as well but much like I said before this season began, Henry is the key and will be until further notice. Just seems all of Titania can’t agree on everything which is good I guess but the dead horse has definitely run its coarse.

If you think Henry was a bigger key than Tannehill coming in and having one of the greatest stretches of QB play in NFL history, I'm honestly at a loss for words on what to even say.

Henry mattered on offense, no doubt, but this idea that he was the biggest reason for our success down the stretch is just incorrect and based in nothing. There's only evidence against it when you consider he didn't do a thing worth mentioning until Tannehill took over, or that in the games he was injured in or outright missed, we scored 42, 21(should have been 28 if not for Firkser losing the catch) and 28 points.

And for the record, I personally won't blame Henry for anything. Why shouldn't he accept a franchise stupidly offering him a ton of money? That's not his fault. When we regret the contract in(based off recent history of other big RB deals) in about 2 years, you best believe I'll be letting Robinson have it though.

• Like 2

It blows my mind how people are so worried about the contract Henry could get yet seem to be fine to shell out endless cash for Tannehill. How many overpaid QBs have been terrible decisions in this league? Ask the Rams how Goff is doing? What about the Jags and Foles stellar deal there? Or Joe Flacco on the Broncos? Kirk Cousins was looking bad for awhile still not great? Oh Matt Ryan he has been stellar too right? Don't even get me started on Brissett the desperation move of all desperation moves.

The funny thing too is of those QBs I just listed all of them except maybe Goff and Brissett showed more than Tannehill has to this point.

I averaged it out from the cap hits I could find of the top 10 QBs and the average cap hit is 28,147,500. Are you comfortable giving at least that for Tannehill as that is what he is seeking I am sure.

The question is what tier of quarterbacks do you believe Tannehill fits in? Is he top 5 elite? No way I would pick at least 10 QBs if I had a choice before him. Okay so he is top 15. You don't pay top dollar for a QB with half a stellar season on his resume and one good year many years ago. For all this talk of bad contracts for RBs look at how many atrocious ones there are for QBs too.

Not to mention Henry will make half the money Tannehill will this offseason based on contract value for position. Yes QB is the most important player on the offense but if we shell out top 8 money to a QB like Tannehill who is not elite and is imo top 15 in the NFL that would be a huge mistake.

The whole argument of Henry and Tannehill who helped each other more I can see both sides. I could understand if the Titans keep Tannehill and either sign a cheaper RB or draft one. Logic would seem to indicate that makes sense. Tannehill however is not a sure thing and anyone on here who says so is lying to themselves. Neither is Henry but Henry has shown more for us the past couple of years then Tannehill did in a half a season. Don't get me wrong I like Tannehill and think resigning him is the right move but not paying him like an elite QB when he isn't.

Edited by Titan89

Statistically, paying either Henry or Tannehill is likely to yield diminishing returns, while letting both go is pretty much a guarantee that our offense will drop off.

There. Damned if we do, damned if we don’t. What’s important is not putting all our eggs in one basket and making sure we have flexibility with our path forward.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Titan89 said:

It blows my mind how people are so worried about the contract Henry could get yet seem to be fine to shell out endless cash for Tannehill. How many overpaid QBs have been terrible decisions in this league? Ask the Rams how Goff is doing? What about the Jags and Foles stellar deal there? Or Joe Flacco on the Broncos? Kirk Cousins was looking bad for awhile still not great? Oh Matt Ryan he has been stellar too right? Don't even get me started on Brissett the desperation move of all desperation moves.

The funny thing too is of those QBs I just listed all of them except maybe Goff and Brissett showed more than Tannehill has to this point.

I averaged it out from the cap hits I could find of the top 10 QBs and the average cap hit is 28,147,500. Are you comfortable giving at least that for Tannehill as that is what he is seeking I am sure.

The question is what tier of quarterbacks do you believe Tannehill fits in? Is he top 5 elite? No way I would pick at least 10 QBs if I had a choice before him. Okay so he is top 15. You don't pay top dollar for a QB with half a stellar season on his resume and one good year many years ago. For all this talk of bad contracts for RBs look at how many atrocious ones there are for QBs too.

Not to mention Henry will make half the money Tannehill will this offseason based on contract value for position. Yes QB is the most important player on the offense but if we shell out top 8 money to a QB like Tannehill who is not elite and is imo top 15 in the NFL that would be a huge mistake.

The whole argument of Henry and Tannehill who helped each other more I can see both sides. I could understand if the Titans keep Tannehill and either sign a cheaper RB or draft one. Logic would seem to indicate that makes sense. Tannehill however is not a sure thing and anyone on here who says so is lying to themselves. Neither is Henry but Henry has shown more for us the past couple of years then Tannehill did in a half a season. Don't get me wrong I like Tannehill and think resigning him is the right move but not paying him like an elite QB when he isn't.

I don't think I've seen a single person here say they want to shell out endless cash for Tannehill.

I believe Tannehill is probably our best bet at QB considering he's already proven he fits what Smith wants to do in the passing game, but there's unquestionably concerns with regression and the like with him. Difference between paying him and paying a RB(or any other position, for that matter) is QB is a lot harder to find/replace than RB(again, that goes for every other position too). There are other potential FA options, but they all of course come with their own concerns, and drafting a guy to come in and start immediately probably isn't an option given where we sit in the draft.

We're gonna be paying someone that comes in with concerns, whether it's Tannehill or some other FA. We don't have a choice, you can't just plug and play any QB.

On the other hand, you can just plug and play RBs.

47 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

I don't think I've seen a single person here say they want to shell out endless cash for Tannehill.

I believe Tannehill is probably our best bet at QB considering he's already proven he fits what Smith wants to do in the passing game, but there's unquestionably concerns with regression and the like with him. Difference between paying him and paying a RB(or any other position, for that matter) is QB is a lot harder to find/replace than RB(again, that goes for every other position too). There are other potential FA options, but they all of course come with their own concerns, and drafting a guy to come in and start immediately probably isn't an option given where we sit in the draft.

We're gonna be paying someone that comes in with concerns, whether it's Tannehill or some other FA. We don't have a choice, you can't just plug and play any QB.

On the other hand, you can just plug and play RBs.

You plug & play any RB but will they dominate like Henry is the question. Ain’t a lot of backs has size, speed & tackle breaking ability as Henry, that’s a skill that don’t grow on trees. He led the league in yards after contact, he demands you stack the box with 10-12 guys that’s the thing, & that’s why Tannehill was so dangerous off play action. Again, 75% of Ryan Tannehill throws come off play action & art isn’t that good in the passing game, therefore he hides Tannehill by putting more of the load of the offense on Henry plate 

1 hour ago, KingTitan said:

I think what everyone is saying is.....

we are going to be a 9-7 next year. Lol

I actually think we're on pace to regress next year.  Too many players had career seasons this year, and the amount of turnover we're going to have (no matter what we do) is going to mean a lot of players that haven't played together before will be playing together now.  We'll probably struggle at the beginning of the season again, and unless Tannehill (or Henry) beats the odds and repeats the late season stretch, we'll not make it to the playoffs without a lot of luck.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KingTitan said:

I think what everyone is saying is.....

we are going to be a 9-7 next year. Lol

I think we will either be picking in the top 5-10 or we will be right in the thick of the playoffs. I don't see an in between honestly with all the unknowns at this point.

The great thing about this forum is seeing everyone's ideas come together and yes we disagree but we are all fans who want this team to be great.

For the record, I think the Titans will retain both Tannehill and Henry. I don't think Ryan or Conklin will be back though. I would prioritize Conklin over Ryan but I think both price themselves out.

Frankly giving Tannehill and Henry big contracts is frightening as both have risks. However, I think it is the best move the Titans can make.

However if the Titans only keep one, I think it will be Tannehill as QB is the more important position. If Henry goes I think we must re-sign Conklin to maximize the continuity on the offensive line to help the run blocking especially for the next RB.

If Henry goes, I think we keep Lewis and sign a guy like Jordan Howard.

I just can't wait for the next few weeks to get rolling so we finally have some answers. Starts with the franchise tags.

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

They won't.  And neither will Henry.  We're not getting that level of domination next season no matter what we do.

Saying Henry can’t dominate or rush over 1500 yards next season is laughable. You do realize he missed a game, Lewan missed 4 games, Saffold had to get acclimated, Davis was a rookie & Art was a 1st time play caller, & Henry still faced a 10-12 box 👌🏽I think it’s possible Henry can again lead the league in rushing 

• Like 2

I think the only way we have a chance to repeat anything we did this year is to bring the whole band back.  (Conklin, Tanny, Henry).
We can replace one or even all and maybe still be competitive but I don't see how we can think to repeat anything close to the career years with Henry/Tannehill, if they don't come back together.

Can Henry be good with out Tanny, yeah.
Can Tanny be good without  Henry, yeah.

But I think they will be at their best if they are together and if Smith grows in the pass calling area. 

There are arguments to be made about not bringing this guy or that guy, and MAYBE find someone that is as good or better. But in the end, if we are bringing any new guys it is likely to see a worst product. 

The further we get from the season, the more I remember how little I believed in Arthur Smith early. I don't see him as a guy that will scheme players into great spots. 

I'm just not ready to believe the franchise turned the corner. I'm too deeply hurt from past trauma. lol

• Like 1