2020 Titans Off-Season

KingTitan

Just a few random thoughts I have on the postseason so far and coming up :

• Just wanted to touch on ROY.  Murray 100% deserved that.  If 100 yard games and 1000 yard seasons for RBs and QBs equated 300/3000 for QBs, Murray's stats definitely warrant ROY.  64.4 comp %, 3,722 yards, 20 TDs are definitely worthy of ROY... Add in his 544 rushing yards and additional 4 TDs, and it's pretty hands down.
  • Logan Ryan signed for 3/30M and has only gotten better.  This was his best season, even if he dipped a bit towards the end.  There's no way he's signing for 10M or less.  Not only has he gotten better, but the simple economics of the cap, having gone up from 168M 3 years ago to ~200M this year... He's probably getting close to 12M in the open market.  I don't see him coming back, unless he gives the team a "hometown" discount.
  • I like RT and would like him back, I just can't see us guaranteeing 50M+.  You see some of the guarantees recently, and 50M seems like market value... but some of these guarantees are looking bad really quick... Foles @ 45M, Carr @ $40M, A Smith @ 55M, Garapolo @741, Cousins @ 84M, Stafford @ 60M, Goff @57M ... even Bortles 25M guaranteed a couple of years ago.  
  • The transition tag for QBs appears to be around 24M.  Of course, not only does that eat up about 33% of our available cap space, but we get no compensation if a team signs him to an offer that we don't match.  Still.. it's the route I'd take to see him show it wan't a 1 year fluke.
  • I'd still work on a long term contract with Henry... 25-30M G is much more palatable than 50M... regardless of position.  Henry has gotten better each year here... he's a homegrown guy and team leader... we need to sign him back.  If we can't work a long term deal, I use the franchise tag on him.  If someone gives up 2 1sts for him, I consider letting him walk.  
  • If we don't use the tag on Henry, then I consider using it on Conklin.  I'd love to work out a long term deal, but know the reality is that his market will exceed what we'd be willing to give him.  He's not much of a pass blocker, but his run blocking is a big positive for this team.   
  • I would love Clowney or Yannick, but both may be outside our price range. I'd be happy with Fowler, Dupree, or even Beasley, but we have to be careful not to overpay.  Signing an edge gives us a huge advantage in the draft, not forcing our hand in the draft... and we go for highest rated player at either CB or OT if we can't work out a contract with Conklin.  If we tag Conklin, I'd still look at OT in the 2nd or 3rd, looking for his replacement for '21 if possible.  
  • I'd also look at DL early... rotation this year, and a replacement for Jones or Casey in 21.  CB is still my highest need this year, looking at NB, and Butler's replacement in '21.

As much as I've defended Conklin, and I do think he is a solid starting RT, I think I would let him walk and draft an OT in the first round. His position is very important to me, but if I was building a team I wouldn't be selecting an OT whose biggest weakness is blocking in true pass sets. His weaknesses can be hidden in our offense, so it may be beneficial to the current regime to pay him because of his strengths as a run-blocker, but I would let him walk if he's looking at 15m + per year.

As a team-builder I wouldn't prioritize resigning Derrick Henry. It has been proven through recent history that RBs, however talented, are relatively interchangeable. That said, as someone running a franchise, I think I would try to resign Henry long-term with an out after 2 years. I don't think he's that important in regards to building a team, but he is the most recognized player on the team at this moment and I think the front office is obligated to consider that from a PR perspective.

The cap expanding as much as it has been gives us some wiggle room to keep Henry with Jack Conklin and Logan Ryan signing somewhere else.

I would give Ryan Tannehill the franchise tag. I would say he falls right in line with the other average QBs rage listed and we should proceed with caution before giving him a lot of guaranteed money after not even playing a full season. I wouldn't give him the transition tag, because another team signing our only option at QB would basically end our 2020 season before it started. You can't play football in the NFL without a QB. 

I would try to bring back Firkser to play that flexed TE role and Dennis Kelly to continue being the backup OT.

If Clowney or Ngakoue hit free agency, I think we need to throw 20m/yr at them. If we're only keeping Tannehill and Henry (plus whatever role players) from our current roster, that leaves some pretty big holes on the roster. OT, ED, CB. These are 3 postitions of huge importance, and two of them don't even have a starter. I think we could afford a large contract on an ED if we're only bringing back Tannehill/Henry and make the necessary cuts.

That would leave OT/CB as our big needs for the 2020 season. I like the idea of drafting Josh Jones/Austin Jackson in the first round. Both are very athletic. Jeff Gladney is becoming a favorite 2nd round pick of mine. He's a very speedy CB from TCU. He and Amani Hooker could fill Logan Ryans role and he would add a lot of speed to help defend against KC's WRs.

The rest of the draft we still need a speedy WR to replace Corey Davis and get Kalif Raymond off the field. I like Raymond, but he plays 4 snaps a game and is a dead give away for what he's going to do. Would still need another pass rushing DT. Our pass rush isn't very good, and I have a hard time believing we are one player away from fixing it. Would also need a RB2 who hopefully isn't one-dimensional. Ideally he is a capable receiver, runner, and blocker and would play a small role. Kicker is still a big question mark.

Edit: Forgot to mention OG. Nate Davis holds it for now, but bringing in someone to compete with him would be ideal. I'm not sold on him. Even if he does end up working out, the OG we bring in could be solid depth and maybe Saffold's eventual replacement if he ends up being good. 

Edited by TitanSS
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

I would try to bring back Firkser to play that flexed TE role and Dennis Kelly to continue being the backup OT.

I forgot to mention Firkser above, but he's an ERFA.  He's not going anywhere, and won't cost more than the minimum.  He'll be back.  I think Pruitt is the bigger question.  He's a better blocker... our best blocking TE the past few years with Delanie being out... We may invest in a blocking TE through the draft, but I can't see us spending a mid round pick here... so it may just be best to bring back Pruitt as well.  He won't be too expensive.

I ran into this Henry highlight film... and I didn't watch it for Henry.  I wanted to see the line on Henry's most successful carries.  Conklin was bad early on, constantly getting pushed back, a few times on his behind, and constantly failing to get to his reach blocks...  and while he got better towards the end of the season, he didn't stand out as this outstanding run blocker.  Kelly, from the Carolina game looks to have better push, and a much better reach at the 2nd level.  A higher % of runs were to the left, although that might be more an indication of Saffold being better than whoever we had at RG... but I don't know... seeing this makes me think Conklin is gone.  They may still try to resign him if they can get him at a good price... but now I'm thinking 10M is closer to the target than 15M.  I'd be comfortable with Kelly and a highish rookie (1st or 2nd) going into next season.  The money saved goes towards that Edge we so desperately need.

As far as Ngauke, he may be tagged so we may not get a shot at him... but Clowney will be available for sure... there was a clause in his contract that he could not be tagged.  The rest of the offseason would be to build depth.  

• Like 1

I don’t think we have a realistic chance at signing Ngakoue or Clowney myself. Jags will keep Ngakoue, and Clowney will be the top free agent.

I like Vic Beasley as another option for us. A friend of mine is a big Falcons fan, and he seems to think the reason Beasley fell off so hard is that he wasn’t used effectively. IIRC they moved him inside after his breakout season, which is dumb, and then last year they finally put him back out on the edge full time and he got 8 sacks.

I think he’s probably the best bang for our buck that could be a reliable starter.

• Like 1

Turron Davenport mentioned him, but Robert Quinn could be a under the radar type signing that could pay off.

Speaking of under the radar, is there any Shaquil Barrett type player(player who didn't get much PT on old team, who could blow up with new team) this free agent season?

I was just thinking Beasley was a similar player to Harold Landry. Athletic, gets sacks but doesn't affect a lot of throws. Wins outside with speed.

I went to both of their combine profiles to compare them athletically and saw that Zierlein's player comp for Landry was Vic Beasley lol.

"He's just like (Vic) Beasley coming out with the way he comes off the snap. You remember how Beasley struggled early because he had to learn to be a pass rusher and not just a sprinter? I think Landry might be the same early on. When he puts it together, he'll do what Beasley did." -- NFC team pro personnel director

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/harold-landry?id=32194c41-4e15-9704-c65c-9a07b28af620

This must have been before Beasley's season was considered an outlier. I don't really think he's a good fit for us as anything other than a depth option. His sack totals are misleading and he doesn't pressure the QB often.

Outside of Clowney, I'd really like us to k at least Fowler. I wanted us to look at him as far back as when the Jags were looking to trade him... But with the season he had last year, he's not coming cheap. 

I liked Fackrell coming out of college. He was pushed down the Packers depth chart with their big signings last year, but he had 10.5 sacks one year. I think he'd be a good Correa replacement with some upside. 

I've softened my stance on having to sign Henry. It's not a must. Never has been. But I do think it was best for the offense. 

However, I don't know what form the offense will take place. 

Conklin isn't worth $15 million or top RT money if he is a liability in the pass game more than it's desired. It is somewhat the same argument about Henry. If he is just a RB that can't catch is he worth top RB money. 

Even though Conklin and Henry are good at they do, is it worth the money. 

I'm interested in seeing how Robinson builds it. 

2 hours ago, titans0021 said:

Good call IMO.  We need depth at the position if nothing else, and I'm sure he was cheap.  Last season he played like a quality No. 3 edge.  We draft an early pick and still have the best two of Finch, Walker, and Roberson, Correa, and Landry and that's actually a respectable group of pass rushers.  Quality depth can make a lack of top end talent way more palatable.

8 hours ago, Daniel said:

Good call IMO.  We need depth at the position if nothing else, and I'm sure he was cheap.  Last season he played like a quality No. 3 edge.  We draft an early pick and still have the best two of Finch, Walker, and Roberson, Correa, and Landry and that's actually a respectable group of pass rushers.  Quality depth can make a lack of top end talent way more palatable.

Finch is gone.... and I’m not sure Correa was resigned. 

1 minute ago, TitanLegend said:

He wasn't, despite Kuharsky's poor wording of that tweet and article. Article talks about how he thinks it'd be a good idea to bring him back, not that he was brought back.

Yea I saw the tweets last night from him and I’m not subscribed to his website. I didn’t see anybody else post about it so I thought it was just poor wording from him.