2020 Titans Off-Season

KingTitan

28 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Doubt he’ll come much cheaper if at all. I’ve mentioned numerous times Zach Banner or Matt Feiler Depending on which one resigns with Pittsburgh.

Yeah, I don't see Bulaga being less than 8 million a year.  If we're signing a tackle, Kelly is probably the way to go, with us keeping an eye on the position during the draft.  There are some good prospects this year, and we could get a player that could be serviceable if called on as late as the third round.

1 hour ago, -Hope- said:

why not take a flyer on bulaga? he’s had injury issues in the past but he’s been largely healthy as of late and knowing that we have a decent backup in kelly i’d take that risk if he comes cheaper than conklin

Because it’s an adjustment period new system zone scheme, kelly knows the system & he’s a good RT 

4 hours ago, dtait93 said:

Well of course not what he did was historic lol.

Week 10 - 17: 139/896/6.44/10

Wildcard - AGCCG: 83/446/5.37/2

2018 w/o Conk (weeks 15-17 after his head was out of his ***): 70/347/4.95/3

Even if you want to omit the game against NYG he still was very efficient with 4.78 ypc.

Also keep in mind Saffold>>>>>Kline and teams are going to have to start accounting for Tannehill's connection with our receiving threats which is something nobody was concerned about with Mariota/Gabbert back there throwing to our and rag-tag group of practice squaders.

I agree. Even if everyone returns I don't expect him to keep close to that pace.

The point is that he basically had 4 good games last year. It's not like he was rolling all season with Kelly in there and 4 games is hardly a sample size to say he did it once with Kelly at RT he can do it again.

If Conklin's gone I would expect to see Nate Davis exposed more as well without the advantage of playing between two really good OL.

Even if we don't retain Conklin, I don't want Kelly as the starter.

25 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

I used to think Kelly was underrated around here. Seems he became overrated real quick. He’s a good swing OT but not sure I’d want him starting a full season at RT. If we’re going that route, we’d better invest in a good swing OL as well.

He played well last year when conklin struggled & I also remember him going up against Demarcus Lawrence shutting him down after Demarcus was manhandling Conklin, & JJ watt with no problem at RT. I think you’re grading him from his performance at LT, & that’s a huge adjustment. No I’m not saying he’s better than Conklin, but he’s a cheaper solid option that allows us to spend money elsewhere & draft a younger RT with upside.

14 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

He played well last year when conklin struggled & I also remember him going up against Demarcus Lawrence shutting him down after Demarcus was manhandling Conklin, & JJ watt with no problem at RT. I think you’re grading him from his performance at LT, & that’s a huge adjustment. No I’m not saying he’s better than Conklin, but he’s a cheaper solid option that allows us to spend money elsewhere & draft a younger RT with upside.

No I said RT... did I not? Whatever he did at LT has nothing of opinion to me of how he’ll function at RT. You’re overrating the hell out of him due to a couple good games in which he had plenty of help. I’m not against having him start at RT but they better damn well have a good backup plan or otherwise, we’re screwed.

Edited by ttitansfan4life
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

No I said RT... did I not? Whatever he did at LT has nothing of opinion to me of how he’ll function at RT. You’re overrating the hell out of him due to a couple good games in which he had plenty of help. I’m not against having him start at RT but they better damn well have a good backup plan or otherwise, we’re screwed.

Conklin had a lot of help his only all pro yr I think he’ll be fine as long we fix the passing game & like we both agreed draft a understudy 

2 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

Conklin had a lot of help his only all pro yr I think he’ll be fine as long we fix the passing game & like we both agreed draft a understudy 

Apparently that hasn't changed... PFF's rankings are questionable at best (Mariota ranked the 8th best FA, Henry not in their top 25 while Robby Anderson is, etc)... but their commentary on Conklin includes mention of him receiving more help than most:

Conklin is the best right tackle on the market, and he's coming off a regular season which he finished 12th overall among tackles in PFF grade (78.3) and fifth in run-blocking grade (81.0). Conklin has some issues in pass protection, as his pass-blocking grade ranks just 49th on true pass sets over the last two seasons, and he's on the higher end among offensive tackles receiving help (double teams, chip blocks, etc). Still, Conklin is a versatile run blocker who finished with the No. 6 grade on zone runs and the No. 14 mark on gap runs. He's been one of the better right tackles in the league since being drafted in the first round in 2016.

36 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

Apparently that hasn't changed... PFF's rankings are questionable at best (Mariota ranked the 8th best FA, Henry not in their top 25 while Robby Anderson is, etc)... but their commentary on Conklin includes mention of him receiving more help than most:

🗣Kelly half the price as I said 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TitanRedd said:

🗣Kelly half the price as I said 

So then we have a RT at half the price that now is as bad or worse of a pass-blocker on true pass sets, and towards the bottom as a run-blocker as well. Conklin is one of the best in the league there and Kelly isn't going to be close.

Everyone knew Conklin struggled on true pass sets, but a lot of that is hidden when 40% of your passes are play action. 

4 hours ago, TitanSS said:

The point is that he basically had 4 good games last year. It's not like he was rolling all season with Kelly in there and 4 games is hardly a sample size to say he did it once with Kelly at RT he can do it again.

He may have only had 4 good games but he ran well from week 8 until the end of the season. I’ve broken it down plenty of times before - he had to regain the trust of the coaches which limited his touches or else he would have had more than 4, “good” games. From weeks 8-12 after Eddie told him to basically get his head out of his ***, he averaged 4.56 ypc and scored 4 touchdowns. In the previous 8 games he averaged 3.25 ypc and scored 1 touchdown.

If the changed mindset Henry we saw over the final 8 games of 2018 ran for 6 ypc and 11 touchdowns (5.59 ypc and 7 touchdowns if you exclude the game against Jacksonville) with Kelly and a hampered Conklin that was noticeably worse than Kelly, I’m confident Henry will produce just fine if Conklin’s not here anymore. I wouldn’t bet on him being as ridiculous as he was this year, but something to the tune of 4.6-5.0 ypc and double digit touchdowns for the 3rd straight year should be expected.

• Like 1

Just now, TitanSS said:

So then we have a RT at half the price that now is as bad or worse of a pass-blocker on true pass sets, and towards the bottom as a run-blocker as well. Conklin is one of the best in the league there and Kelly isn't going to be close.

Everyone knew Conklin struggled on true pass sets, but a lot of that is hidden when 40% of your passes are play action. 

We should see, I think kelly will do well