2020 Titans Off-Season

KingTitan

47 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

The pass rush wouldn't consistently work because we were sending out Harold Landry + UDFA or whoever to get to the passer after Wake went down. When Wake(and Butler) were healthy you could argue our defense was top 3 or 4 in football. You lose the bit of pass rush Wake brought, and the coverage also downgrades with the loss of Butler, and all the sudden the weaknesses of your defense are glaring.

Pees wasn't perfect but he was really good. And more importantly, Vrabel largely shut up and let Pees run the defense because he actually trusted him. Now all indications are Vrabel wants control of the defense, thus seemingly no bringing in a Bettcher or Phillips or anyone else.

I like Vrabel as a CEO-style coach. Vrabel as a play caller/game plan designer? Not so much.

I somewhat agree but my opinion you’re looking at the glass half full, as I’ve been on record saying, 1 reason our defense looked so dominant earlier was due to the fact we played inexperienced young QB’s that pees could fool with disguising coverages. I really would love to see us upgrade the Corner position in the draft & FA. butler is nice but only solid on his best day, he’s a good press bump & run corner & shade safety help towards his side. But I want us to get some corners that can play on a island that instead of showing press, we actually press get physical & try to disrupt the WR’s routes. My opinion our defense plays better when we’re attacking. & not sitting on routes playing off in a soft cover 2. Though I like mixing it up playing some zone I still want us to be aggressive in the secondary.

Just now, ttitansfan4life said:

Damn you would think the team just went 0-16 with the way this thread is going and I thought I was pessimistic one. Titan the hell up people!!!

I think this offseason is Big & we need to be aggressive. I would cut Delanie that frees up 6.5 mill cut Lewis that frees up 4, cut succop that frees up 2, keep wake if he takes 4-5 mill pay cut I want him back as a situational rusher he did look noticeably good but 8 mill too much & Butler 7.6 mill
My FA crushes are Byron Jones CB/S & Donte Fowler. Now I know a lot of people gone ridicule the sh!+ out of the Byron jones signing but trust me he’s what our defense needs. I wasn’t wrong about Gilmore when he was a FA nor Kyle Fuller. He underachieved in Dal because they play a lot of zone cover 2. A guy like Byron Jones can run he’s tall plays physical & is so versatile scheme wise. He can play both Corner & Safety Equally well, so if we’re playing the chiefs we can put him 1 on 1 against Kelce & Adoree on hill. 
I think Amani hooker is going to fill out Ryan spot fairly well. 

5 hours ago, ragevsuall17 said:

I'm not fuming it, I'm not even sweating it. I know we'll find a way to make it all work. 

If love to see your reaction when Henry's deal is announced, though. And please no threats of I'm not even watching next season, etc... Don't say it. Just do it. We have plenty of people jumping on the train. 

Lol what is your deal?

I've already said I expect them to resign him... It's just the wrong decision.

You're getting way too emotional over this. Telling people who have never threatened anything not to watch next season?

You're better than that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TitanSS said:

Lol what is your deal?

I've already said I expect them to resign him... It's just the wrong decision.

You're getting way too emotional over this. Telling people who have never threatened anything not to watch next season?

You're better than that.

My bad, you were just the one who said he can't wait to tell everyone you told us so next season. 

These posts back and forth have become insufferable. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ragevsuall17 said:

My bad, you were just the one who said he can't wait to tell everyone you told us so next season. 

These posts back and forth have become insufferable. 

That post was actually more aimed at people wanting to let Tannehill and Conklin walk and keep Henry. The idea of letting the QB and an OT walk and keeping the RB is insane to me.

I don't think the act of keeping Henry is going to have an "I told you so" moment. At least not until the potential financial implications of keeping him could come into play. 

I still think he's the most talented option at the position.

Not the thread for this but it sure is discouraging watching KC in the super bowl make all these mistakes they sure didn’t make against us Mahomes missing wide open receivers again and again. 

it’s a pity because Sf hasn’t really looked that good at all either

1 hour ago, quiller said:

Yeah I was watching and thinking why oh why did we continue to just rush three 

That was Pees bend but don't break philosophy. 

I would love to go back to a 4-3, and aDL of Landry, Casey, Simmons, and a FA DE would rival the Niners D-line. Evans is a natural Mike as is Brown at Will. We'd be an OLB away from a damn good front 7. 

We need a consistent 4 man rush... That 3 man rush always eventually killed us

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

That was Pees bend but don't break philosophy. 

I would love to go back to a 4-3, and aDL of Landry, Casey, Simmons, and a FA DE would rival the Niners D-line. Evans is a natural Mike as is Brown at Will. We'd be an OLB away from a damn good front 7. 

We need a consistent 4 man rush... That 3 man rush always eventually killed us

I love the hybrid 3-4 more versatility 4-3 is overrated to me. We simply need corners with speed & 2 key pass rushers 1 opposite of Landry & 1 situational 

13 hours ago, TitanRedd said:

I love the hybrid 3-4 more versatility 4-3 is overrated to me. We simply need corners with speed & 2 key pass rushers 1 opposite of Landry & 1 situational 

I think one of the first things Vrabel said when he was hired was "front multiplicity" so I wouldn't expect that to ever change.

We get to that DL of Landry/Simmons/Casey/X a lot anyway, the ED are just standing up which helps disguise things.

I'm not convinced Landry is as good as advertised just yet. I wonder where he ranks with pressure rate? I wouldn't be surprised if his pressures indicate a drop in sacks in the future. 

Our pass rush was pretty bad, even when we had a healthy secondary and Wake. I don't think one ED makes the difference in the result we need to see on the field for us to just be one pass rusher away. I think there's a good chance a lot of our guys aren't as good as we think at getting after the QB.

Casey was definitely not what he used to be and offered very little pass rush the majority of the season. Simmons showed flashes, but was really a major contributor as a run defender. Jones is a NT, not a pass rusher. Landry had decent sack totals, but was often completely invisible for long stretches and didn't seem to affect the QB as often as his sack totals suggest. Wake was decent in his limited role at getting pressure, but was hardly on the field and can't be counted on.

I think there's a good chance we need more help up front than has been suggested. Maybe getting a healthy secondary will help, but I think Ryan ended up being a liability in coverage down the stretch. Gave up like 84 catches this season or something crazy high.

Edited by TitanSS
  • Like 1