2020 Titans Off-Season

KingTitan

1 minute ago, Titans fan 617 said:

Ya I know it’s going to cost a lot but Titans need to attempt to be in on Clowney or the next tier guys right after him to help our pass rush 

Ive been thinking Clowney a lot. He would make EVERYONE so much better. Clowney BIG Jeff Casey and Landry... Thats a front four. Also KB and Butlers INT will go up.

This is a big offseason. WE HAVE TO MAKE MOVES. Window will close because of cap stuff soon. 

But Landry reminds me of a slightly better Morgan. Always SO close lol. But get a real pass rusher and the other boys will eat. Not to mention Jeff is going into the offseason good to go. NFL training gonna have him right next year. 

Dream (semi-realistic scenario):

Cut: Walker, Wake, Lewis, Succop savings about 17m against the cap, giving us about 77 to work with

Sign Henry 5y/75m per year

Sign Tannehill 3y/63m per year

Sign Logan Ryan 4y/28m per year

Sign Clowney 5y/100m per year

Resign Kelly, Firkser, Correa, Brock, and a couple other role guys cheap

Sorry Conklin

Draft RT round 1, QB of the future round 2, Edge round 3

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Titans_Matt said:

Dream (semi-realistic scenario):

Cut: Walker, Wake, Lewis, Succop savings about 17m against the cap, giving us about 77 to work with

Sign Henry 5y/75m per year

Sign Tannehill 3y/63m per year

Sign Logan Ryan 4y/28m per year

Sign Clowney 5y/100m per year

Resign Kelly, Firkser, Correa, Brock, and a couple other role guys cheap

Sorry Conklin

Draft RT round 1, QB of the future round 2, Edge round 3

If that’s possible that’s pretty much ideal 

• Like 1

I really think Clowney is incredibly overrated especially as a pass-rusher. I know sack numbers are not always the stat to look at but someone please tell me why he would deserve a 20m a year contract with 32 sacks in 75 games played? I also know he’s he issues with his knees as well. Just seems like a contract I could biting this franchise in the ***. I really don’t see any big FA splashes. I see them working on getting our own guys back and working the draft. It’s not sexy but coming off an amazing draft, Robinson probably feels him and staff are turning into one of the best front offices in the league especially the scouting department. Probably think they can find that edge rusher in the draft although to me, that’s asking for trouble. Asking a rookie at pick 29 or ever later to come in to fix the pass-rush issues is a tall task. I’m still all for trading for Miller. This team should be in SB mode and Miller fixes a lot on this defense.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2020 at 11:49 AM, titans0021 said:

https://www.offtheball.com/american-football/tom-bradys-value-950393

Pretty much echoes my thoughts. Was a shell of himself by December.

Pretty much confirmed what anyone watching could tell you. People want Brady more based on his name and what he's done than who he is now and going into next year. Whoever gets him needs to understand he's only going to get worse from here on out.

24 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

I really think Clowney is incredibly overrated especially as a pass-rusher. I know sack numbers are not always the stat to look at but someone please tell me why he would deserve a 20m a year contract with 32 sacks in 75 games played? I also know he’s he issues with his knees as well. Just seems like a contract I could biting this franchise in the ***. I really don’t see any big FA splashes. I see them working on getting our own guys back and working the draft. It’s not sexy but coming off an amazing draft, Robinson probably feels him and staff are turning into one of the best front offices in the league especially the scouting department. Probably think they can find that edge rusher in the draft although to me, that’s asking for trouble. Asking a rookie at pick 29 or ever later to come in to fix the pass-rush issues is a tall task. I’m still all for trading for Miller. This team should be in SB mode and Miller fixes a lot on this defense.

Top 10 DE/OLB Pass Rush Win Rate
1. Robert Quinn, Cowboys, 33%
2. T.J. Watt, Steelers, 28%
3. DeMarcus Lawrence, Cowboys, 27%
4. Myles Garrett, Browns, 26%
5. Shaquil Barrett, Buccaneers, 25%
6. Joey Bosa, Chargers, 25%
7. Jadeveon Clowney, Seahawks, 25%
8. Za'Darius Smith, Packers, 23%
9. Dante Fowler, Rams, 23%
10. Preston Smith, Packers, 23%

That and his ability to be a 3 down player. Also when watching him he definitely passes the eye test, he just always seem to be around the ball, he is the player on the Seahawks defense that just stood out the most to me when watching their games this year, especially in their playoff game when it mattered the most. Pairing him with Vrabel and our defense seems ideal

2 hours ago, TitanSS said:

If I have to choose between paying a good CB or WR 15m or paying a good RB 15m, it's a no brainier. 

You all are trying to hard to make it look like paying Zeke over one of those players is a good decision, because it's just plain not. Running game success is tied much more closely with the OL than the RB.

Don't think it's trying hard.  Just point a different side of the coin. You aren't wrong. Also don't think I am wrong. 
It's how you want to build the team. 
RB isn't some empty position. You strive to have the best player at that spot, like all spots. 

People don't just sign Dayln Dawkins and call it a day. They draft Barkley, pay Zeke....they do those things because those players are elite for the spot and that spot has value to them and it's not wrong. 

It isn't how Arizona or Kansas City would build a team because they don't value the run game like that. So to you it's a no-brainer, but it really isn't. 
Some teams would rather pay that top RB than pay a WR, especially if you are only going to throw the ball 6 times. by the 3rd quarter..lol

Dion Lewis is scheduled to make $5.1 million next season, with $1.1 million in dead cap if we cut him. That's 4 million we can give over to Henry. Replace him with a late round pick or UDFA back and you get the same production, if not better, than Lewis.

Henry is a bell cow who stays healthy. Would he ever live up to a 15 per year deal? Likely not... but I'd rather pay him that, than sign some guy who won't punish and wear down defenses, or carry the offense. The effect he has on wearing down a defense can't necessarily be measured in simple analytics. Combine with how he's been healthy and reliable and a consummate professional, and we simply have to overpay the market value and keep him around. Would I love to get him on a bargain deal? Absolutely, but not at the risk of losing out on him, or having to face a poison pill provision. 

Pay Henry, get more pass rushers, those are my top 2 priorities.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Titans_Matt said:

Top 10 DE/OLB Pass Rush Win Rate
1. Robert Quinn, Cowboys, 33%
2. T.J. Watt, Steelers, 28%
3. DeMarcus Lawrence, Cowboys, 27%
4. Myles Garrett, Browns, 26%
5. Shaquil Barrett, Buccaneers, 25%
6. Joey Bosa, Chargers, 25%
7. Jadeveon Clowney, Seahawks, 25%
8. Za'Darius Smith, Packers, 23%
9. Dante Fowler, Rams, 23%
10. Preston Smith, Packers, 23%

That and his ability to be a 3 down player. Also when watching him he definitely passes the eye test, he just always seem to be around the ball, he is the player on the Seahawks defense that just stood out the most to me when watching their games this year, especially in their playoff game when it mattered the most. Pairing him with Vrabel and our defense seems ideal

But 3 sacks? Come on now 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

Dion Lewis is scheduled to make $5.1 million next season, with $1.1 million in dead cap if we cut him. That's 4 million we can give over to Henry. Replace him with a late round pick or UDFA back and you get the same production, if not better, than Lewis.

Henry is a bell cow who stays healthy. Would he ever live up to a 15 per year deal? Likely not... but I'd rather pay him that, than sign some guy who won't punish and wear down defenses, or carry the offense. The effect he has on wearing down a defense can't necessarily be measured in simple analytics. Combine with how he's been healthy and reliable and a consummate professional, and we simply have to overpay the market value and keep him around. Would I love to get him on a bargain deal? Absolutely, but not at the risk of losing out on him, or having to face a poison pill provision. 

Pay Henry, get more pass rushers, those are my top 2 priorities.

Does any player ever live up to a deal tho? lo

Byard was the highest paid safety and is he Ed Reed back there? naw but he is great at his position and needed to keep him.
Same with Henry. 

Who is the highest paid guy in the league now? Jared Goff? pshhhh. Not worth that at all. Stafford, Marcell Dareus, Trent Brown also guys top 20 in salary right now. 

1 hour ago, KingTitan said:

Don't think it's trying hard.  Just point a different side of the coin. You aren't wrong. Also don't think I am wrong. 
It's how you want to build the team. 
RB isn't some empty position. You strive to have the best player at that spot, like all spots. 

People don't just sign Dayln Dawkins and call it a day. They draft Barkley, pay Zeke....they do those things because those players are elite for the spot and that spot has value to them and it's not wrong. 

It isn't how Arizona or Kansas City would build a team because they don't value the run game like that. So to you it's a no-brainer, but it really isn't. 
Some teams would rather pay that top RB than pay a WR, especially if you are only going to throw the ball 6 times. by the 3rd quarter..lol

Unless you're averaging 9 YPC like the Niners were, you're probably not winning many games doing that. They also did it with a no name RB because the OL is what mostly matters if you want to run the ball.

Those teams can think they're right all they want. We have enough data in 2020 to inevitably prove that paying a RB over a position that contributes more value to wins is an antiquated way of doing things. 

Every position in the NFL has value. No one is saying RB doesn't matter at all. It is just at basically the bottom of the barrel in terms of value when compared to other positions. Of course you want the best player possible at each position, but in a league with a finite salary cap that makes you choose which best players to keep you choose the player that contributes the most to the teams success