2020 Off-season Discussion Thread

squire12

Royce Freeman has about 30 pounds on Jamaal, and he’s as fast or faster. He has some wheels for a big man!

But in Jamaal you’ve got a player who knows the offense, is a reliable receiver and blocker,  and generally just a steady 2nd back. Freeman might be a cheap trade, but I’m not sure you gain much, if anything.

Edited by JQ1

Just now, beekay414 said:

Eh, I don't see anything special about Freeman. He's a #2 at best and offers nothing on ST or in the return game. Would rather use that draft pick to draft a RS if we can't bring back Ervin.

devonta freeman is a little intriguing though...  maybe he has 1-2 years of explosive play with high injury risk.

2 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Eh, I don't see anything special about Freeman. He's a #2 at best and offers nothing on ST or in the return game. Would rather use that draft pick to draft a RS if we can't bring back Ervin.

I don't think you're finding "special" consistently in the 5th or later. Solid is all I'm looking for. Really though I don't disagree with your take, it's not like Royce would carry us either. It's just an avenue I'd be interested in exploring. I think you could survive a season with Royce and Jamaal if you let Aaron walk. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vegas492 said:

2 years.  16.5M for Gordon.  $13.5 guaranteed.

That's a nice guarantee amount.  Pretty far cry, I'm guessing, from what he turned down last year.

He probably turned down something like 36 over 4. I was expecting him to lose out on way more than he did.

1 minute ago, HighCalebR said:

I don't think you're finding "special" consistently in the 5th or later. Solid is all I'm looking for. Really though I don't disagree with your take, it's not like Royce would carry us either. It's just an avenue I'd be interested in exploring. I think you could survive a season with Royce and Jamaal if you let Aaron walk. 

Those two are redundant together tho. They offer the same skillset. We could "survive" with them but our offense would sputter quite a bit on days the pass game doesn't work. Both Freeman and Williams are 3 yards and a cloud of dust types.

Again, not saying Lindsay isn't the better back but this isn't a situation like Ekeler where the coaching staff kept him off the field in lieu of the worse guy. Lindsay earned, and got, the carries. They never fed Royce.

These two situations are not comparable. You're saying Ekeler was kept of the field as the coaches preferred Gordon the "worse guy".

So you're comparing Freeman to Ekeler but the difference is he was absolutely kept off the field by a much better player in Lindsay.

If Freeman was any good he should be comfortably beating out Lindsay but he never did. That's says alot about Freeman imo.

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

Those two are redundant together tho. They offer the same skillset. We could "survive" with them but our offense would sputter quite a bit on days the pass game doesn't work. Both Freeman and Williams are 3 yards and a cloud of dust types.

You're probably right. At least this gives me a reason to go back and watch the Den/GB game. Confirm that suspicion and what not.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chili said:

These two situations are not comparable. You're saying Ekeler was kept of the field as the coaches preferred Gordon the "worse guy".

So you're comparing Freeman to Ekeler but the difference is he was absolutely kept off the field by a much better player in Lindsay.

If Freeman was any good he should be comfortably beating out Lindsay but he never did. That's says alot about Freeman imo.

Nope, I'm comparing Royce to Melvin and Lindsay to Ekeler. 

Freeman can be "any good" and still be behind Lindsay.

Edited by HighCalebR

7 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Freeman can be "any good" and still be behind Lindsay.

yeah I think lindsay is pretty dang good.  Coaches didn't want him to be as good as he was, but it's hard to not give him the ball. Freeman probably got too many touches tbh.

Ok i'm now even more confused. Gordon was fed the ball alot and by doing so held back Ekeler.  So by you comparing Royce to Gordon you're inadvertently saying he too was fed the ball alot which is clearly not true.

You just said a few moments ago that they never fed Royce so comparing him to Gordon makes no sense.

23 minutes ago, Chili said:

Ok i'm now even more confused. Gordon was fed the ball alot and by doing so held back Ekeler.  So by you comparing Royce to Gordon you're inadvertently saying he too was fed the ball alot which is clearly not true.

You just said a few moments ago that they never fed Royce so comparing him to Gordon makes no sense.

Oh boy... Nope.

Melvin was the worse back between he and Ekeler. The Chargers, being dumb, decided when Gordon came back from holdout that he should be fed based on pedigree.

Royce, being outshone by Lindsay, was given the backseat even though he was drafted. 

I was refuting your point that the Broncos tried "very hard" to make him the lead back, which was not the case. They did give him a share of the carries but as their QB play sucked more and more they had to go with the hotter hand at RB to try winning. Which is the correct choice, but it doesn't mean Royce is an absolute worthless bum. He's a cheap RB who can produce solidly enough. I'm talking a late day 3 pick, for a stop gap between Jones and the next guy. 

Anyways, now that way more thought has been put into this than needed, I'm not married to Royce. It's just an interesting avenue to me. I'm not mad that you're "meh" on him. I don't mind that Beekay would go a different direction. I just think it'd strengthen the back end of our roster.

Edited by HighCalebR