2020 Off-season Discussion Thread

squire12

51 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

What makes it a C plus?

IMO we are a worse team than we were at the end of the season. We lost: Bulaga, Martinez, Tramon, Allison, Graham, Vitale, Veldheer.  Added Wagner, Funches, and Kirksey.  Inarguable step back at tackle, FB, and TE.  Maybe an upgrade at WR.  Probable downgrade at ILB.  We are apparently trying to extend a running back, and haven't paid Kenny Clark, yet.  Probably the biggest contributing factor to losing the NFCC, defensive line, has not been addressed.  And we are pretty strapped for cap room. 

IMO, we get the old "D" for diploma.  

I didn't expect anyone to make me feel worse about it. Lol

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

If this had been the offseason when Thompson was the GM, we would be having nuclear meltdowns about not improving the roster in Rodgers last year(s)

Did Gute not say going into free agency that the Packers would be less active? I know you want to go all in this year. I understand your logic is wanting to do that. The problem for him is he wants to keep his job beyond next year. If he goes all in and it fails, he's likely to need to trim payroll next year and thus, a fall off, maybe even a severe fall off. 

Time will tell, maybe he should be going all in. I always want a splash but last year was the only year we actually got one in long, long time. 

25 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Disagreeing with a players talent thus worth is a far different subject. Go back and look at the beginning of the Funchess thread. It was reported we got him or near the vet minimum and everyone seemed happy about that. Turns out it was 3 times that if he just participates in 15 games this year. That is with no production requirement.

So it goes from near the vet minimum to 3 million and everybody clapped like a bunch of trained seals. 

Two completely different scenarios there sport! 

For anyone paying attention, that wasn't what was reported, it was just oh maybe this is like Algoholor's deal. It DID look like that was reported though.

3 million to 1 isn't anything that matters much. This is from someone who's 1000% indifferent to that signing. I don't like him much but I don't think it's worth being too upset over. It's a scratch ticket type move as much as anything imo. 

21 minutes ago, Jaegybomb said:

This years offseason is the consequence of last year's. When you look at it all as a whole trading Martinez, Bulaga, Graham, Haha, Fackrell and Perry for Wagner, Kirksey, Funchess, Amos, Smith and Smith isn't bad at all.

Idk this actually kinda just pissed me off lol

I get where you're coming from but still. 

1 minute ago, Norm said:

For anyone paying attention, that wasn't what was reported, it was just oh maybe this is like Algoholor's deal. It DID look like that was reported though.

3 million to 1 isn't anything that matters much. This is from someone who's 1000% indifferent to that signing. I don't like him much but I don't think it's worth being too upset over. It's a scratch ticket type move as much as anything imo. 

I don't know! 1% of your budget is nothing to sneeze at. You make that mistake 3-4 times and you're in trouble.

13 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

You see "sport" I'm going to teach you a lesson real quick. When you have an opinion that a majority of the folks tend to disagree with and your immediate response to those that disagree with you, are attempted insults/hostile approaches -- well then sport you look rather juvenile and quite frankly you do now as well. It's okay sport one day you'll understand. I have faith!

Let me save a thread for once you two lol stop.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Did Gute not say going into free agency that the Packers would be less active? I know you want to go all in this year. I understand your logic is wanting to do that. The problem for him is he wants to keep his job beyond next year. If he goes all in and it fails, he's likely to need to trim payroll next year and thus, a fall off, maybe even a severe fall off. 

Time will tell, maybe he should be going all in. I always want a splash but last year was the only year we actually got one in long, long time. 

His job is not in jeporady, what are you even talking about?

Why would he need to trim payroll next year? We're going to have 60 million in cap space with only three big FA that need to be resigned, Bakhtiari, Clark, and King. We have plenty of Free Agency money for next year. We could have gotten 6 million more dollars by changing Z's contact and we still would have been fine for next year.

3 minutes ago, Norm said:

I didn't expect anyone to make me feel worse about it. Lol

I mean, I guess C is average.  To me the team looks worse or the same at nearly every position.  Signing Wagner and Kirksey are more to "stop the bleeding" than "we are getting better." Funchess doesn't move the needle for me, at all.  Given the cap situation and future contracts that need to be worked on, I completely understand this offseason.  But, just going off of what we have done at the time I am writing this, it has to be a bit below average.  This will probably look better after the draft, and after a Clark extension.  

1 minute ago, Golfman said:

So your logic, or the lack thereof, is when the majority says its good, then it's good! See Junior, history is littered with situations that make that thinking seem quite foolish. I've never been a follow the herd type. You seem perfectly fine doing so. Good for you, it works for non-critical thinkers. The world needs sheep! Enjoy! 

Have a good night! 

Okay, let me break this down a little differently for you. It appears that self-quarantine is really effecting your reading comprehension here. So, I'll explain this to you as if I was explaining it to one of my own children. It is okay to have an opinion that is different than others. HOWEVER, when you have a differing opinion and your choice of rebuttal is to insult or attack other poster's opinions in a hostile or negative manner (Hold that thought) ....

hos-tile - adjective unfriendly; antagonistic "a hostile audience"

neg-a-tive - adjective not desirable or optimistic

Okay, back to business!  Then you look rather juvenile, immature and quite frankly ridiculous. However, if you disagree with someone on a matter and present your reasoning without insults and/or rash comments then you've created a topic of debate amongst those who are passionate about the same hobby as yourself. See how that works "sport"? I know, I can see how you thought I was saying you should agree with the majority when you're in the minority, with my posts and for that, I apologize. 

1 minute ago, Golfman said:

I don't know! 1% of your budget is nothing to sneeze at. You make that mistake 3-4 times and you're in trouble.

I suppose. But if we paid 1 mil instead of 3 and he played zero games it isn't going to make a damn but if difference instead of paying 3 or whatever it can be. 

Honestly the main 3 UFA signings could all bomb though

1 hour ago, Nick_gb said:

This coming from the person who would rather throw a tantrum over the Funchess contract rather then admit he was wrong when being shown a multitude of different ways that it was a good contract? The irony here. 

Thinking the virus thing and all the confinement that comes with it is affecting a whole lot of people on this forum.  There's a whole lot of irony being spread among everybody.  End of April can't come fast enough for darn sure.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I mean, I guess C is average.  To me the team looks worse or the same at nearly every position.  Signing Wagner and Kirksey are more to "stop the bleeding" than "we are getting better." Funchess doesn't move the needle for me, at all.  Given the cap situation and future contracts that need to be worked on, I completely understand this offseason.  But, just going off of what we have done at the time I am writing this, it has to be a bit below average.  This will probably look better after the draft, and after a Clark extension.  

I think I got used to the idea that signing 3 guys was automatically a win for everyone after what went on for so long.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I didn't mention Tramon because I think he'll be back if we don't go CB in rounds 1-3. 

I wish there was a way to get Tramon back as an emergency player.  Like, I really want to see what Ka'dar and Chandon, and Jackson can do.  But I am also really kind of scared to see what happens if we only have Ka'dar, Chandon, and Jackson.

• Like 1