The 2020 Free Agency Rumblings Thread

WindyCity

14 hours ago, G08 said:

He doesn't suck, though.

I think everyone would agree the results have been mixed at best.   His first draft was 2015 and he came away with starters in Eddie Goldman and Adrian Amos.  He also had a pair of backups (Jeremy Langford and Hroniss Grasu), but the giant whiff that was Kevin White overall puts this as a disappointing class.  2016 had three starters in Leonard Floyd, Cody Whitehair, and Jordan Howard.  And they had some solid depth in this class as well.  The 2017 class was a mess.  The whole Trubisky debacle has been discussed ad nauseam, and Adam Shaheen was a huge bust.  Eddie Jackson and Tarik Cohen were good picks, but this class is weighed down heavily by their first two picks.  The 2018 class was probably the first class where his first two picks weren't major flops.  And last year, he lacked any notable picks after trading for Anthony Miller the draft before and Khalil Mack mega trade.  Overall, Pace's record on early picks is awful.  This feels like a make-or-break season for Pace.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Angelo sucked on offense. I said that he did not invest as much and made better investments in the offense as Pace has.

JA was Bears GM for 10 years......10 years!

Pace has been here for only 5 years.

So comparing the two isn't really an apples to apples kind of deal.

I get what you're saying about Pace, I do, but I don't think you're being completely fair in your assessment.  It's a little biased if you ask me.

Like AZ said, if Pace took either Mahomes or Watson instead of Mitch you would all be praising him right now as best Bears GM ever.  Let's not let 1 or 2 moves define him as a GM.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

JA was Bears GM for 10 years......10 years!

Pace has been here for only 5 years.

So comparing the two isn't really an apples to apples kind of deal.

I get what you're saying about Pace, I do, but I don't think you're being completely fair in your assessment.  It's a little biased if you ask me.

Like AZ said, if Pace took either Mahomes or Watson instead of Mitch you would all be praising him right now as best Bears GM ever.  Let's not let 1 or 2 moves define him as a GM.

If he had taken those guys this would be a contending team.

That was the most important decision of his tender and he missed and crippled this team contention window.

He should be judged by his record, which is pathetic. Even if you take away the first couple of years of Fox, he has made the playoffs once and I do not see a lot more coming in the short term.

JA had made the playoffs in year 5 and the Super Bowl in year 6. 

5 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

If he had taken those guys this would be a contending team.

That was the most important decision of his tender and he missed and crippled this team contention window.

He should be judged by his record, which is pathetic. Even if you take away the first couple of years of Fox, he has made the playoffs once and I do not see a lot more coming in the short term.

JA had made the playoffs in year 5 and the Super Bowl in year 6. 

Ok and Pace made POs in year 4.  SB in year 6...we'll see.  He could still best JA :D

47 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Ok and Pace made POs in year 4.  SB in year 6...we'll see.  He could still best JA :D

The fact that the comparison is even relevant is really the issue.

Pace is over rated because he followed a complete clown in Emery.

He has not built anything resembling a consistent winner.

55 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

The fact that the comparison is even relevant is really the issue.

Pace is over rated because he followed a complete clown in Emery.

He has not built anything resembling a consistent winner.

If Mitch were good (not great or elite, but say 2007 Matt Hasselbeck or so) you don’t think the rest of this roster would be a consistent playoff team? I sure do. Even with the **** show under center being far worse than anyone could have expected and playing a first place schedule we were a .500 squad last year. 

Just now, AZBearsFan said:

If Mitch were good (not great or elite, but say 2007 Matt Hasselbeck or so) you don’t think the rest of this roster would be a consistent playoff team? I sure do. Even with the **** show under center being far worse than anyone could have expected and playing a first place schedule we were a .500 squad last year. 

Ifs and buts

I do think that they would be in contention.

But Mitch was his pick and his guy. He does not get a pass on the fact that his guy is killing the window.

He has not built a consistent winner.

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

Ifs and buts

I do think that they would be in contention.

But Mitch was his pick and his guy. He does not get a pass on the fact that his guy is killing the window.

He has not built a consistent winner.

JFC man nobody’s giving him a pass but Mitch is 1 guy on the roster. The other 52 guys by and large are a pretty damn good unit overall. It’s not a roster without holes (find me one that is), but it is one with a lot of good pieces and several elite ones. By your own admission 52/53 of this roster is good enough to win consistently right now. That’s Pace’s roster. Other than McManis (who’s an impending UFA) I think every guy left is one of his guys. Yes that 1/53 is the most important individual piece. Nobody disputes that being the case. That doesn’t mean that the good he’s done with the other 52/53 is just totally irrelevant. 

9 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

JFC man nobody’s giving him a pass but Mitch is 1 guy on the roster. The other 52 guys by and large are a pretty damn good unit overall. It’s not a roster without holes (find me one that is), but it is one with a lot of good pieces and several elite ones. By your own admission 52/53 of this roster is good enough to win consistently right now. That’s Pace’s roster. Other than McManis (who’s an impending UFA) I think every guy left is one of his guys. Yes that 1/53 is the most important individual piece. Nobody disputes that being the case. That doesn’t mean that the good he’s done with the other 52/53 is just totally irrelevant. 

It is too bad that 1/53 is the guy he bet it all on.