The 2020 Free Agency Rumblings Thread

WindyCity

1 hour ago, G08 said:

I agree and it is in part why I have looked into him more than I usually would. 

Based on what we know about him, how much are we comfortable shelling out? And are we comfortable featuring him in this offense? 

I pointed out McDonald in my comp because the production and to some extent unrealized potential are really comparable. I definitely prefer McDonald if both are available because of all the perceived concern and baggage you mentioned.  

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I would hope 6 million. I would go as high as 7.

I see 3 TEs that can be legit threats in the passing game

Henry

Hooper 

Ebron

I think Henry and Hooper are going to price themselves out of our range... unless we are willing to sink a ****-ton of money into the TE position with the understanding Burton will be cut after this season (which he should be based on his current return on investment)

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

I pointed out McDonald in my comp because the production and to some extent unrealized potential are really comparable. I definitely prefer McDonald if both are available because of all the perceived concern and baggage you mentioned.  

McDonald doesn't scream game breaker to me, selfishly I want someone who defensive coordinators will have nighmares about every night before they play us.

15 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Trevathan is essentially a master of nothing but solid at everything at this point.  He's a very versatile player, as a whole, because he is a very smart player and diagnoses plays quickly and can use that ability to put other defensive players in position pre-snap. However, in the modern era, he struggles to cover RB's out the backfield or athletic TE's coming into his zone in pass coverage. At this point in his career, he relies more on his intelligence and understanding of the game than he does his physical attributes. Which is still very much an asset, but not I'm not sure it's worth the price he would be asking in the open market. I hope we keep him, tbh. 

Kwiat. He's a hard hitting LBer who plays with intensity but don't let this breakout (contract) year fool you.  He is not a legit starter. We have seen him for years now and he is what is at this point....a solid backup. There is a reason why Fangio started him in week 1 against the Packers last year in place of Smith and quickly benched him after that. He was solely responsible for Jones' longest run of the game by looking lost --- he had no idea what the play was and failed to hit and engage in his assigned hole. In coverage, forget about it. He is slow as molasses. He can't keep up with the RB's/TE's in your division. In the seam, crossing routes, flag routes, etc.....he will get beat like a drum.

If Pace doesn't sign KPL then I will assume that there is injury concerns and if not....well, this would just be another blunder to add to the list of blunders made by the FO. It would make no sense to me.

17 hours ago, The_Romen said:

Trevathan is probably still the best of them, even though he's older. That injury could bring his price down, but you don't know how he'll recover.

Kwiatkowski had a great season coming in for Danny. He's weak in pass coverage but a great blitzer and run stopper.

KPL is probably JAG but he seemed to play okay... Didn't make many impact plays but didn't blow many either. Solid back up.

I assume they're looking to resign 2/3, if it would be DT and Kwit, that'd be great, but expensive. I don't think any Bears fan knows which direction Pace is looking to go.

Interesting thanks for the feedback. Not sure if the Ravens will dip into the ILB pool early in the draft so I'm curious who is out there. Based on what I hear, I'm not sure if I would trust Kwiatkoswki to switch systems and be effective, but maybe a vet like Trevarthen could. Also KPL sounds promising but there's too little a sample size to assume he could step into a starting ILB role on a different team. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, G08 said:

McDonald doesn't scream game breaker to me, selfishly I want someone who defensive coordinators will have nighmares about every night before they play us.

Me too, but I struggle to see us investing enough to get Henry, especially if Kittle resets the market before FA starts. I’d make the big investment for Henry personally with the expectation that it means Burton is gone after 2020 but I’m not sure Pace takes it that far. 

McDonald isn’t at that level but the floor is pretty solidly in the category that leaves us with a solid starter at the position, and two starter level players at TE if Burton is able to get himself right this offseason. I’m drafting a TE no matter who we sign in FA with the idea that that guy is the mega upside selection. Of the draftable TEs the one I have the biggest crush on is Thaddeus Moss. The receiving was on full display in the NCG but I LOVE the way he blocks too. 

10 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I would trade our whole draft for him. 

Weren't you just saying in another thread that it would've been tough for any QB to succeed with the play calling, OL play and run game the Bears had last year? But now Burrow (and keep in mind this will take a somewhat big chunk of cap space away) will cure all of that somehow?

8 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Weren't you just saying in another thread that it would've been tough for any QB to succeed with the play calling, OL play and run game the Bears had last year? But now Burrow (and keep in mind this will take a somewhat big chunk of cap space away) will cure all of that somehow?

He would struggle, but a cheap great QB on a rookie contract makes fixing everything else a lot easier.  

Just now, beardown3231 said:

They're literally in that position right now and things aren't "a lot easier."

1) They don’t have a great QB and 2) they made poor decisions Re TE and neglected OL. 

They still got to spend a lot on non QB positions because of rookie deal.  

1 minute ago, dll2000 said:

1) They don’t have a great QB and 2) they made poor decisions Re TE and neglected OL. 

They still got to spend a lot on non QB positions because of rookie deal.  

But you were referring to the "on a rookie contract" thing, presumably implying that the financials would make things easier. They have a QB right now on a rookie deal and the financials aren't "a lot easier." The same moron will still be in charge of dishing out contracts so I would imagine they'd be right back where they are now sooner than later.

Just now, beardown3231 said:

But you were referring to the "on a rookie contract" thing, presumably implying that the financials would make things easier. They have a QB right now on a rookie deal and the financials aren't "a lot easier." The same moron will still be in charge of dishing out contracts so I would imagine they'd be right back where they are now sooner than later.

I don’t think Pace is a moron. He made some decisions that blew up in his face, but they weren’t dumb given information available at time.

But it is undeniable it is easier to build a team with good rookie QB generally speaking. 

• Like 1

I think Paces only true dumb decisions given info at time (off top of my head) are 1) drafting Floyd and not the top OT, 2) drafting Shaheen 3) extending Long and then not trading him when he had value. 

I think it will be dumb to keep Floyd at that rate.  I think it will be dumb to keep Prince at that rate.  If they do. 

Oh and not addressing TE last year via FA or early in draft.  

Edited by dll2000
  • Like 1