The 2020 Free Agency Rumblings Thread

WindyCity

Random thought:

Offer a 5th for Firkser, TE, Titans (ERFA)

He showed some real nice routes and hands in the playoffs but wasn't used much in the regular season.

ERFA this year and RFA next year would mean very low cap hits as well.

I'm not sure if the Titans would go for it.

Firkser is no Y TE though.

2 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

You just posted your mock draft and it has the Bears at 47.5M in cap room. 7 is like 14% of 47.5, not 30%

The idea that we can’t pay a FA TE at a $7M cap hit for 2020 with $47.5M presumed cap room, at the one position where we really NEED a guy who can produce there, is crazy to me. Honestly we could create even more if we wanted to too similar to how we did in adding dummy years to Fuller’s deal. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

The idea that we can’t pay a FA TE at a $7M cap hit for 2020 with $47.5M presumed cap room, at the one position where we really NEED a guy who can produce there, is crazy to me. Honestly we could create even more if we wanted to too similar to how we did in adding dummy years to Fuller’s deal. 

Updated numbers

14 currently

-1.4 Cohen

+8 Prince

+4.5 Gabriel

25.1 million

If you can extend Floyd [5], Robinson [6] and Patterson [2]

38.1 million

-4.5 draft

+5 million for guys coming off the 51 with signings

38.6 million

You can 100% afford a TE with a 7 million year 1 cap hit. You likely cannot afford it and an 8 million dollar QB. 

The 40.6 million needs to net the Bears about 12-14 players minimum of both re-signings and outside free agents.

Edited by WindyCity
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Updated numbers

14 currently

-1.4 Cohen

+8 Prince

+4.5 Gabriel

25.1 million

38.1 million

-4.5 draft

38.6 million

You can 100% afford a TE with a 7 million year 1 cap hit. You likely cannot afford it and an 8 million dollar QB. 

The 40.6 million needs to net the Bears about 12-14 players minimum of both re-signings and outside free agents.

Don’t rule out further small extensions (Hicks) or restructures (Goldman/Whitehair) to core guys to create more cap room beyond what you’re projecting if we need it, but even if you’re not you can absolutely add $15M in cap hit for a QB and TE and still fill the roster. It’s all in what you’re comfortable with for the other guys. More than a few of those roster spots are going to draft picks and minimum salary benefit end-of-the-roster guys.

Personally I would use the majority of the available cap space addressing needs in 2020 starters. Depth players are important but secondarily so. To me that’s TE, SS, ILB and RG. Backup QB (since they’ll be paid like a non-QB starter) will be an exception to that, but even if you spend an average of $5M in 2020 cap hit across filling those 5 spots you can fill the rest of the roster with draft picks and 2nd/3rd tier FA to fill the back half of the roster and be fine cap wise, especially when you factor in that at least one if not two of those 5 “key” openings to fill are likely to be on rookie contracts to 2nd round players. Assuming 2 of those 5 are filled in the draft now you’re talking $23M in cap space (which, again, can be staggered however is most beneficial now and adjusted later as need be) for potentially 3 spots. 

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Updated numbers

14 currently

-1.4 Cohen

+8 Prince

+4.5 Gabriel

25.1 million

38.1 million

-4.5 draft

38.6 million

In your scenario, ok fine you're correct, but if it's Henry or Dalton, give me Henry. They don't need Dalton but they need a competent TE. They're rolling with Trubisky anyway

Edited by beardown3231

There was time on here where I used to take the salary cap as gospel and cling to the exact numbers. These days it can be manipulated in many ways. Saying who we can and can not afford to me unless the CBA changes drastically is pointless. It's about who fits and who doesn't. 

Pace is going to be ultra aggressive as he usually is and the needs on this team are obvious. I wouldn't rule anybody out in those positions of need. As for the CBA and teams being cautious that never happens. Remember before 2010 lockout? We signed Julius Peppers with a lockout looming. Nothing bad is going to happen to the salary cap where teams are going to shut down and do 1 year deals for little money. 

Edited by GOGRIESE
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, GOGRIESE said:

There was time on here where I used to take the salary cap as gospel and cling to the exact numbers. These days it can be manipulated in many ways. Saying who we can and can not afford to me unless the CBA changes drastically is pointless. It's about who fits and who doesn't.

That's a gross, blanket, oversimplification. And I don't blame you for it, as it's a big piece of dreck put forth, nearly constantly at this time of the year, by the football media.

Yeah...teams can tweak contracts, move around bonuses, push back payments, do all sorts of cap wizardry, but the Inside the NFL narrative that GMs can make whatever they want to happen simply happen is very, very far from the truth. 

36 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

That's a gross, blanket, oversimplification. And I don't blame you for it, as it's a big piece of dreck put forth, nearly constantly at this time of the year, by the football media.

Yeah...teams can tweak contracts, move around bonuses, push back payments, do all sorts of cap wizardry, but the Inside the NFL narrative that GMs can make whatever they want to happen simply happen is very, very far from the truth. 

I guess I should have prefaced my post before I hit submit. Are we going to sign the top free agents at every position of need? No and that's not the point. The point is you can't look at the final number and go "here is how much we have to spend". It's how much you have to spend right now. But that's never the end result. It never looks that black and white once free agency is over. Remember all the times in the past decade we've all talked about "How is X team going to resign this player and this player?". Christ the Cowboys have been involved in several of those. Falcons too. The cap can be manipulated a great deal with what you said above plus extensions and cuts. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Don’t rule out further small extensions (Hicks) or restructures (Goldman/Whitehair) to core guys to create more cap room beyond what you’re projecting if we need it, but even if you’re not you can absolutely add $15M in cap hit for a QB and TE and still fill the roster. It’s all in what you’re comfortable with for the other guys. More than a few of those roster spots are going to draft picks and minimum salary benefit end-of-the-roster guys.

Personally I would use the majority of the available cap space addressing needs in 2020 starters. Depth players are important but secondarily so. To me that’s TE, SS, ILB and RG. Backup QB (since they’ll be paid like a non-QB starter) will be an exception to that, but even if you spend an average of $5M in 2020 cap hit across filling those 5 spots you can fill the rest of the roster with draft picks and 2nd/3rd tier FA to fill the back half of the roster and be fine cap wise, especially when you factor in that at least one if not two of those 5 “key” openings to fill are likely to be on rookie contracts to 2nd round players. Assuming 2 of those 5 are filled in the draft now you’re talking $23M in cap space (which, again, can be staggered however is most beneficial now and adjusted later as need be) for potentially 3 spots. 

They can't do anything with Goldman's and Whitehair's contracts because their money is still all guaranteed

They can't do anything with Burton's.

They can do something with Leno and Massie, but please do not do that.

14 hours ago, GOGRIESE said:

I guess I should have prefaced my post before I hit submit. Are we going to sign the top free agents at every position of need? No and that's not the point. The point is you can't look at the final number and go "here is how much we have to spend". It's how much you have to spend right now. But that's never the end result. It never looks that black and white once free agency is over. Remember all the times in the past decade we've all talked about "How is X team going to resign this player and this player?". Christ the Cowboys have been involved in several of those. Falcons too. The cap can be manipulated a great deal with what you said above plus extensions and cuts. 

How much the cap can be manipulated is a little over stated.

More than anything no CBA in 2021 is what screws us. Normally, when you have a team sign someone you did not think they could the deal is backloaded, which you cannot do unless a new CBA is announced soon.

3 hours ago, WindyCity said:

They can't do anything with Goldman's and Whitehair's contracts because their money is still all guaranteed

They can't do anything with Burton's.

They can do something with Leno and Massie, but please do not do that.

They could potentially add years to Goldman’s deal and convert more of his 2020 base to SB. Would be a small savings but a could be that’s all they’d need too depending on what they were looking to do. I’m looking more at Hicks. I’m about done with my pre-combine mock offseason using a Hicks extension that cuts his 2020 cap hit in half. Probably post it later today. 

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

They could potentially add years to Goldman’s deal and convert more of his 2020 base to SB. Would be a small savings but a could be that’s all they’d need too depending on what they were looking to do. I’m looking more at Hicks. I’m about done with my pre-combine mock offseason using a Hicks extension that cuts his 2020 cap hit in half. Probably post it later today. 

Goldman's salary is guaranteed.

Adding years and turning guaranteed salary into signing bonus is actually a net loss for him. He gets a couple fake years added and no more guaranteed money.

Hicks and Mack are your 2 most likely candidates.

Akiem Hicks Extension

Year 1: 10.2 salary/1.5 SB

Year 2: 10.4 salary/1.5 SB

Remaining Money: 20.6 million/0 guaranteed

New Money: 2 years 18.4 million/18 guaranteed/16 SB

Total Deal: 4 years 39 million/18 guaranteed [+3 old signing bonus]

Year 1: 4 GS/3.5 SB/1.5 Old SB [9]

Year 2: 5.25 GS/3.5 SB/1.5 Old SB [10.25] 

Year 3: 6.75 salary/3.5 SB [10.25]

Year 4: 9 salary/3.5 SB [12.5]

Edited by WindyCity

Here is the rough structure of a Hooper deal

4 years 39.5 million dollar deal/21 guaranteed/10 SB

Year 1: 5 GS/2.5 SB [7.5]
Year 2: 6.5 GS/2.5 SB [9]
Year 3: 8 salary/2.5 SB [10.5]
Year 4: 10.5 salary/2.5 SB [13]

This would be Travis Kelce, who never hit the market, plus a little inflation.

This would comply with the 30% rule if there is not new CBA

Really a 2 year 21 million dollar deal.

Edited by WindyCity