The 2020 Free Agency Rumblings Thread

WindyCity

30 minutes ago, Epyon said:

I'd absolutely sign Vic Beasley and cut Floyd. 

He'll make about what Floyd does, and doesn't suck at pass rushing like Floyd, especially when you consider that in this defense he'd have Khalil Mack opposite of him. 

That said, he also might try and leverage his one exceptional season into a bigger deal than he's worth, so money is a large factor. 

The big concern to me is that like said above, Burton, Leno, and Massie are all big cap hits to get rid of, and represent 3 of our worst players last year. Very curious if Pace has the balls to send any of them packing, and who (particularly the OTs) he'd even consider replacing them with that is affordable. 

Vic Beasley sucks as a pass rusher. He had one fluke year where he converted a weird number of pressures into sacks.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

HAHAHA what? First, he's not going to get $13M in free agency. Not a chance. Also he's had less pressures than Floyd the last two years and that's with Floyd dropping into coverage much more often. Come on now. You're going off of his name, but he blows.

Floyd is currently playing opposite Khalil Mack..... Beasley is not.
Beasley also managed a season where he lead the league in sacks.... and has consistently gotten more sacks than Floyd has during his career, barring their first years.

Edited by Epyon
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Epyon said:

Floyd is currently playing opposite Khalil Mack..... Beasley is not.
Beasley also managed a season where he lead the league in sacks.... and has consistently gotten more sacks than Floyd has during his career, barring their first years.

That literally makes no difference. Dan Quinn specializes in the use of guys like Beasley and Beasley was pathetic. Did you witness the party Falcons fans threw on twitter when the team announced they were letting him walk away? If you watched any Falcons games, he gives s*** effort most plays. Once again he has gotten less pressures than Floyd the last two years despite Floyd dropping into a coverage a ton, specifically last year.

Beasley is a waste of money, and once again, he won't get close to $13M.

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

That literally makes no difference. Dan Quinn specializes in the use of guys like Beasley and Beasley was pathetic. Did you witness the party Falcons fans threw on twitter when the team announced they were letting him walk away? If you watched any Falcons games, he gives s*** effort most plays. Once again he has gotten less pressures than Floyd the last two years despite Floyd dropping into a coverage a ton, specifically last year.

Beasley is a waste of money, and once again, he won't get close to $13M.

Again, not a huge Beasley fan but who is advocating him get $13M a year or replacing Floyd?  We just need a pass rusher that can get to the QB in situations.  Who is going to pay him top dollar?  Regardless, he has shown he can get to the quarterback from time to time.  Not prolifically.  Just from time to time.  More so than any of our other OLBs on the bench.  He was an undersized DE in ATL.  At the right price as a situational passrusher is not at the very least worth looking at?  Who IN OUR BUDGET would you prefer?  Do you see that guy in free agency right now?

Edited by Bigbear72

6 minutes ago, Bigbear72 said:

Again, not a huge Beasley fan but who is advocating him get $13M a year or replacing Floyd?  We just need a pass rusher that can get to the QB in situations.  Who is going to pay him top dollar?  Regardless, he has shown he can get to the quarterback from time to time.  Not prolifically.  Just from time to time.  More so than any of our other OLBs on the bench.  He was an undersized DE in ATL.  At the right price as a situational passrusher is not at the very least worth looking at?  Who IN OUR BUDGET would you prefer?  Do you see that guy in free agency right now?

IF they can move on from Floyd...that's a good point. 

6 minutes ago, Bigbear72 said:

We just need a pass rusher that can get to the QB in situations.

This. My good God, we just need a serviceable pass rusher opposite Khalil Mack. That dude is getting triple, quadruple teamed and our other EDGE has jack **** to show for it.

I'm sincerely hoping we take a TE and EDGE in round 2 of this draft. That should be cheap enough to let Floyd "earn" his $13M and let this kid come in on pure pass-rushing downs/situations.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Bigbear72 said:

Uhh, @Epyon is when he said "he'll make about what Floyd does." O.o

Yes, there are plenty in free agency (Correa, Fackrell, JPP,  Attachou, Sheard, Fowler) and don't forget plenty on the team. Floyd is ok at it. Hicks is great at it. Mack is great at it. Maybe Williams is brought back and he's good at it. They'll ideally be healthy next year and none of this will matter. I'm not bringing in Vic Beasley because one time he was good thanks to an outlier of a season. 

Edited by beardown3231
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bigbear72 said:

Agreed.  If we could sighn Beasley for around what both Lynch and Irving made combined last year then people can't seriously be upset about that because he's a better pass rusher than both of those guys put together. Simply put we need better depth than last year and as a 3rd stringer we could stand to do a lot worse than Beasley.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The_Romen said:

Heard the Cards are looking to move on from David Johnson. I'd love to see the Bears pick him up.

The running back is less important than the O line.  Make a great O line and you will suddenly find yourself with a great RB.  

12 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I like Addison for that role but he’s a short term fix at 32. If we go that route I’d still draft one at some point too. 

100% I would still draft someone in round 4-5.

But if the Bears are going to spend a little money at the #3 OLB spot I would like to get a productive player.

My Tier 2 Targets

TE

Eric Ebron [scheme]
NIck Vannett 
Vance McDonald [if option declined]
Blake Jarwin [RFA]

OL

Hala Vaitai [scheme]
David Sharpe
Stefen Wisniewski [scheme]
Dennis Kelly
Austin Blythe