The 2020 Free Agency Rumblings Thread

WindyCity

I agree.  I saw a few write ups about him maybe doing better with a system change and just wanted to get you guys thoughts on it.  He never really interested me even coming out of college but I know there were quite a few Bears fans that wanted us to draft him.

Edited by Bigbear72

5 minutes ago, Bigbear72 said:

I agree.  I saw a few write ups about him maybe doing better with a system change and just wanted to get you guys thoughts on it.  I never really interested me even coming out of college but I know there were quite a few Bears fans that wanted us to draft him.

Those people are just sad he had a good, flukey year and Kevin White never amounted to anything.

It’s damn telling to me that ATL is announcing more than a month ahead of FA that they want nothing to do with him moving forward considering he lead them in sacks (8) and they have nothing of note behind him in terms of pass rush (their next highest sack total from an edge player had just 4). As a situational pass rusher he would intrigue me some, but not at the price he’s likely to fetch in FA.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

It’s damn telling to me that ATL is announcing more than a month ahead of FA that they want nothing to do with him moving forward considering he lead them in sacks (8) and they have nothing of note behind him in terms of pass rush (their next highest sack total from an edge player had just 4). As a situational pass rusher he would intrigue me some, but not at the price he’s likely to fetch in FA.

You saw how quick ATL was to catapult Clayborn without blinking an eye. People look at his career sack numbers (9.5) in a given year and forget that 6 of those were against the cowboys playing without Smith. 

This is Beasley to a TEE. One game here and there but nothing special.

Edited by JustAnotherFan
  • Like 1

Greg Olsen was on ESPN 1000 and said that he was surprised that the Bears have not even called him and he wanted them to call.

I wonder if the reason they have not called him is because TE is where they are going to invest their free agent money?

If they were going to invest at OG, it would make a ton of sense to at least see what the deal is with Olsen as a cheaper 1 year option while you draft someone.

3 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Tony Pauline, Pro Football Network

“I HAVE NOT HEARD ANY SPECIFIC NAMES TO DATE, BUT PEOPLE TELL ME THEY EXPECT THE BEARS TO MAKE A GOOD NUMBER OF ROSTER CUTS BEFORE FREE AGENCY AND THEN SIGN GUYS IN FREE AGENCY TO FILL THOSE HOLES.”

I wonder if he means by a good number of cuts, not re-signing a lot of their own FA's?  Because aside from Amukamara, Gabriel & Shaheen I don't see where else they would make a lot of worthy cuts.

Although they probably deserve being cut or at least have their salaries re-negotiated down, cutting guys like Leno, Massie and Burton don't really make sense from a cap hit perspective.

They could opt to cut Patterson because of his high salary but do they really want to do that?  Guy was a beast on special teams last year.

Edited by topwop1
  • Like 1

I'd absolutely sign Vic Beasley and cut Floyd. 

He'll make about what Floyd does, and doesn't suck at pass rushing like Floyd, especially when you consider that in this defense he'd have Khalil Mack opposite of him. 

That said, he also might try and leverage his one exceptional season into a bigger deal than he's worth, so money is a large factor. 

The big concern to me is that like said above, Burton, Leno, and Massie are all big cap hits to get rid of, and represent 3 of our worst players last year. Very curious if Pace has the balls to send any of them packing, and who (particularly the OTs) he'd even consider replacing them with that is affordable. 

7 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Greg Olsen was on ESPN 1000 and said that he was surprised that the Bears have not even called him and he wanted them to call.

I wonder if the reason they have not called him is because TE is where they are going to invest their free agent money?

If they were going to invest at OG, it would make a ton of sense to at least see what the deal is with Olsen as a cheaper 1 year option while you draft someone.

Oh my heart

23 minutes ago, Epyon said:

I'd absolutely sign Vic Beasley and cut Floyd. 

He'll make about what Floyd does, and doesn't suck at pass rushing like Floyd, especially when you consider that in this defense he'd have Khalil Mack opposite of him. 

That said, he also might try and leverage his one exceptional season into a bigger deal than he's worth, so money is a large factor. 

The big concern to me is that like said above, Burton, Leno, and Massie are all big cap hits to get rid of, and represent 3 of our worst players last year. Very curious if Pace has the balls to send any of them packing, and who (particularly the OTs) he'd even consider replacing them with that is affordable. 

HAHAHA what? First, he's not going to get $13M in free agency. Not a chance. Also he's had less pressures than Floyd the last two years and that's with Floyd dropping into coverage much more often. Come on now. You're going off of his name, but he blows.

Edited by beardown3231
  • Like 2