The 2020 Free Agency Rumblings Thread

WindyCity

Scouts Honor [Paul Crane] podcast with David Te Thomas

-Hooper could command up to 15 million/season.

-Cincy all ready granted permission and Chicago has spoken to Dalton.

-Thinks Hooper ends up in Chicago who want to move on from Burton because of the injuries.

-GB could be the main competition.

3 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

-Thinks Hooper ends up in Chicago who want to move on from Burton because of the injuries.

Paying 15 million to Hooper instead of using that money to radically improve the OL is wrong move IMO.

Hooper played with  Matt Ryan, Freeman, Ridley and Julio Jones.  Everyone of those guys is better and more talented than their corresponding Bear positions - some by a wide margin.

He is a good football player and I would love to have him, but he isn't special.  I would rather save that money and spend it on OL, edge starter or depth and secondary TE market.

Hopefully Pace can manage the cap well if he does this. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I can't see the Bears paying Burton like 8 mil for this year and paying Hooper 15 mil.   With their cap situation it would be idiotic to have that much invested in a movement TE.  I think that's why you'll see a rookie TE compete with Burton until they can get Burton off the books

• Like 1

Just now, GBHalas said:

I can't see the Bears paying Burton like 8 mil for this year and paying Hooper 15 mil.   With their cap situation it would be idiotic to have that much invested in a movement TE.  I think that's why you'll see a rookie TE compete with Burton until they can get Burton off the books

They won't, they would pay Hooper 5 million this season and the big money when Burton is cut in 2021.

I really do not care what they pay him. Just fix the issue. It has been an issue the entire Pace tenure.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Can Hooper block?  

I would describe him as adequate. Better than Burton.

Before someone tells me about Burton's pff grade for blocking, he was asked to do cut off blocks and almost never inline or on the line. Those are very easy blocks that WRs often get asked to make.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I would describe him as adequate. Better than Burton.

Before someone tells me about Burton's pff grade for blocking, he was asked to do cut off blocks and almost never inline or on the line. Those are very easy blocks that WRs often get asked to make.

The way Nagy likes to run IZ he will often have TE block one EMLOS coming across the formation.  He mixes it up frontside and backside so ILB can't just key the TE to the side of the run.  

But Bears continually miss this block or it is ineffectual and it often ruins the play.  It infuriates me to no end.

I could do a whole lengthy highlight reel of this one play and those missed blocks.  

We all assume it is a talent problem and that is part of it.  But its almost every single guy that goes in.   I think its because they don't practice the block.  You don't run full speed and cut or wham your own players in practice.  

But if you don't practice something you tend to suck at it.   They should creatively practice it with moving dummies.  I had same problem with children, I didn't want my guys getting hurt in practice either, and I got around it.  

I think a lot of Bears lack of execution is poor practicing in various ways.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

The way Nagy likes to run IZ he will often have TE block one EMLOS coming across the formation.  He mixes it up frontside and backside so ILB can't just key the TE to the side of the run.  

But Bears continually miss this block or it is ineffectual and it often ruins the play.  It infuriates me to no end.

I could do a whole lengthy highlight reel of this one play and those missed blocks.  

We all assume it is a talent problem and that is part of it.  But its almost every single guy that goes in.   I think its because they don't practice the block.  You don't run full speed and cut or wham your own players in practice.  

But if you don't practice something you tend to suck at it.   They should creatively practice it with moving dummies.  I had same problem with children, I didn't want my guys getting hurt in practice either, and I got around it.  

I think a lot of Bears lack of execution is poor practicing in various ways.

This is more of a poor coaching problem then a poor player problem the more I think about it.  Or as much of one.

• MT did not get quality reps in camp because team practice was a cluster for O line  - that is a major coaching error.
  • Bears do not execute key block in one of their key base plays - that is major coaching error.
  • Bears did not recognize from practice Long and Shaheen were not capable of adequately performing in 2019 for first several games - that is major coaching error.

It isn't play calling that is main Nagy problem IMO.  I think he is fine play caller contrary to conventional wisdom.    Nothing works when you can't execute.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

This is more of a poor coaching problem then a poor player problem the more I think about it.  Or as much of one.

• MT did not get quality reps in camp because team practice was a cluster for O line  - that is a major coaching error.
  • Bears do not execute key block in one of their key base plays - that is major coaching error.
  • Bears did not recognize from practice Long and Shaheen were not capable of adequately performing in 2019 for first several games - that is major coaching error.

It isn't play calling that is main Nagy problem IMO.  I think he is fine play caller contrary to conventional wisdom.    Nothing works when you can't execute.   

This IMO this where Belichick separates himself from other coaches.  He is not great at picking FAs and is honestly kind of bad at drafting.  Remember they have had to give up several high picks to 'cheating' and have been drafting at end of rounds for well over a decade.     

I think Belichick could really benefit from a guy like Ryan Pace or Ryan Pace drafting for him and letting Belichick pick FAs.   

But they prepare their guys to play and get most of their abilities year in and year out and they have a program.   It makes a huge difference.  

If for some reason MT had been drafted by NE and backing up Brady last 3 years with some spot starts, I bet national perception of him would be totally different.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

If he’s getting $15M a year then I hope he gets it elsewhere. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

If he’s getting $15M a year then I hope he gets it elsewhere. 

I will be shocked if he gets that.

What he is worth is determined by the market and the value he would provide to the team signing him.

To the Bears he provides more value than many teams

-Takes the Bears TE group from worst in the league to top 5-7.
-Gives the Bears someone who can fill a very valuable role in the system
-Allows them to focus the 2nd round on better positions like WR and OT

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

What incentive is there for Hooper to take a backloaded deal when another team with more cap room can offer him the same AAV and give him his non-guaranteed salary immediately?

What incentive is there for Hooper to come play with Mitch when he can play with Aaron Rodgers?

I admit more upfront is better, but more is still more, especially if it is significantly more.

Robinson chose Chicago over Green Bay.  Took less from Chicago over Green Bay

There is more side money and future side money to be made in larger markets, especially Chicago - you can get lost in LA or NY, but Bears players are pretty known.  

There is also life style issues to consider.  Wife may want to live in Chicago burbs or high rise or something rather than somewhere outside GB.