The 2020 Free Agency Rumblings Thread

WindyCity

I saw a tweet earlier from an unverified source saying that apparently Cincinnati has given the Bears permission to speak to Dalton about a trade.

Going to try and do a little more digging on this, and it could be total BS, but that's what I read.

29 minutes ago, G08 said:

This is a difficult scheme to learn, former QBs have said on the record that if they played in this scheme their entire NFL career, their QB rating would be much lower. The entire onus is put on the QB and, to date, Trubisky hasn't been able to handle it. 

How is this different from most other NFL offenses though?

For all the hand-wringing about needing to understand the offense to play well, Patrick Mahomes recently said that he still hasn't fully learned KC's offense or how to read defenses. Nobody expects Mitch to have a comprehensive understanding, but his general awareness and play were far below what should be expected of a 3rd year QB.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2020 at 6:21 AM, abstract_thought said:

And what’s to stop another team from giving him the big signing bonus along with a realistic salary in year 1?

What about the risks of putting large guarantees into his contract?

I just used some raw numbers as an example.  They may or may not fit what Hooper's actual MV is although I'm still seeing $10-$11 mil AAV coming from some sources.

Structure doesn't mean all that much to a FA.  Just the amount of gtd $$$ and when it's paid out.  The more of it that's front ended in a SB generally speaking the lower the 1st year salary.  In many cases that would be beneficial to the player as well.  In many cases team want all of the gtd $$$ paid out during years 1 and 2 anyway.  Then as the salaries inflate and dead cap lessens it's easier to release the player if he's not earning his keep.

How would you ever sign top tier FAs without putting large guarantees in their contract?  It's a risk every team takes.

9 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Biggs just tweeted that "some teams are keeping an eye on Floyd as a potential cap casualty."

Seem to me the two best choices Pace has is to extend him through 2022 offering little more than his 2020 salary as gtd $$$ or we release him and allow the market to set his value.  I don't see us overpaying to compete with someone whose gonna give him a $50 mil deal.

Edited by soulman

6 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Been saying this for 2 months now. He’s a solid player but also a replaceable one especially at that price. 

Yep, this has been my stance since halfway through the 2018 season.  You're happy to have him on the team but not to pay a premium for him,  he just isn't worth it.  

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, chisoxguy7 said:

Reports are saying that RG3’s name he come up in trade talks (generally). 

That would definitely be a Ryan “Smarter Than Everyone In The Room” Pace move.

To be fair, he seems like he could be a good fit in the Nagy offense.

I can’t see Baltimore trading him - he’s the ideal backup to Lamar Jackson. 

10 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Pace shouldn’t be involved in picking the QB, he is incompetent at it.

Nagy and Flip should give him a list in order of desire and have Pace work down it till he lands one for a reasonable rate.

That’s obviously not how that’s going to go, but Nagy, Flip and Lazor compiling a list of the available candidates is an absolute must. 

7 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

That’s obviously not how that’s going to go, but Nagy, Flip and Lazor compiling a list of the available candidates is an absolute must. 

He should be involved in the business and acquisition side. I do not need him lending his #conviction scouting expertise to the conversation.