Aaron Jones contract: What do you do?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Plans for Aaron Jones?

• EXTEND HIM NOW!
    • Make a good long term offer in season
    • Franchise tag 2021
    • Leaves in FA after this season

1 minute ago, Leader said:

Dont know. Neither of us can say. Dexter is a complete wild card at this stage.

Yards Before Contact per rush/Yards After Contact per rush/Rush Attempts per Broken Tackle

Henry: 1.9/3.2/10.4

Chubb: 2.1/3.0/9.3

McCaffrey: 3.0/1.8/17.9

Elliott: 2.3/2.3/12.5

Carson: 1.8/2.6/9.9

[Discounting Lamar Jackson]

Fournette: 1.4/3.0/16.6

Jacobs: 1.9/2.8/9.3

Mixon: 1.8/2.3/11.6

Cook: 2.2/2.4/12.5

Mack: 2.4/2.0/20.6

Jones: 2.4/2.2/7.4

Of the guys with just as many carries as him, Jones gets the second most yardage before contact and the third least yards after contact. Admittedly he does break a lot of tackles, but it isn't leading to a ton of yardage. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Of the guys with just as many carries as him, Jones gets the second most yardage before contact and the third least yards after contact. Admittedly he does break a lot of tackles, but it isn't leading to a ton of yardage. 

Not sure the intent (or need) for all that. AJ is what he is. His numbers speak for themselves. Nobody's saying he's irreplaceable but his 2019 season definitely represented a spike in the GB RB position and he was essential to our success this year.

If we get a bona-fide #2 WR that reduces our reliance on his production - fine with me - maybe it even enhances it - cant say at this juncture - but as of this conversation, neither that WR or a suitable replacement RB is on the roster or performing up to true #2 levels. So if in the future we need to tag the guy to keep him around? Fine with me. It's a short term commitment to maintain a steady offense.

Just now, Leader said:

Not sure the intent (or need) for all that. AJ is what he is. His numbers speak for themselves. Nobody's saying he's irreplaceable but his 2019 season definitely represented a spike in the GB RB position and he was essential to our success this year.

If we get a bona-fide #2 WR that reduces our reliance on his production - fine with me - maybe it even enhances it - cant say at this juncture - but as of this conversation, neither that WR or a suitable replacement RB is on the roster or performing up to true #2 levels. So if in the future we need to tag the guy to keep him around? Fine with me. It's a short term commitment to maintain a steady offense.

Here's the question. 

236/1084 was Jones @ 4.6 ypc

107/460 was Williams @ 4.3 ypc

Let's give you the benefit of the doubt and say that with increased volume comes decreased efficiency, and Williams ypc rate will fall to 4.0 under a heavier workload

4.0 yards per carry at 236 carries is still 944 yards. Is 5% of your salary cap worth an extra 8 yards per game running the ball? Hell no it's not.

Especially not when a bunch of Jones' best performances came against awful defenses (higher ranking is better):

1) 154 against Minnesota (18th in YPC against)

2) 134 against Washington (25th in YPC against)

3) 116 against Minnesota (18th in YPC against)

4) 107 against Dallas (10th in YPC against)

5) 100 against Detroit (8tth in YPC against)

6) 93 against Washington (32nd in YPC against)

7) 67 against the Chiefs (28th in YPC against)

8) 62 against the Seahawks (92th in YPC against)

9) 56 against the 49ers (23rd in YPC against)

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Leader said:

So in order to remedy the problem of not having a consistent move-the-needle #2 receiver, we're instead going to spend 13 million dollars on a RB to franchise tag?

What the hell?

• Like 1

100% a philosophy thing for me at this point - yet to be played out. Based on MLF's first year, it would seem that Jones is a must sign, along the same lines that Henry would be a must sign for the Titans, albeit not to that extent. This offseason will speak volumes as to the direction the offense may take. Will there be an emphasis on re-building the WR corps ? Signing Robby Anderson, for example, would be the first step in handing the offense back to Rodgers. 

Re-building the receiving corps is a must because you have to find out what Rodgers is capable of, crazy thinking I know, plus it lessens the need for a high priced bell cow. You can't go in both directions IMO.

Edited by cannondale

Give the man an extension .. he's our best player on offense, and figures to get an even more prominent role going forward once we get more into the LaFleur offense.  I think we want him here over the next three season at least, so lets get it done now and try to get the home town discount.  He's 25 years old with a Dec. 2nd Bday, and does not have a lot of wear on those wheels.  

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Here's the question. 

236/1084 was Jones @ 4.6 ypc

107/460 was Williams @ 4.3 ypc

Let's give you the benefit of the doubt and say that with increased volume comes decreased efficiency, and Williams ypc rate will fall to 4.0 under a heavier workload

4.0 yards per carry at 236 carries is still 944 yards. Is 5% of your salary cap worth an extra 8 yards per game running the ball? Hell no it's not.

Especially not when a bunch of Jones' best performances came against awful defenses (higher ranking is better):

1) 154 against Minnesota (18th in YPC against)

2) 134 against Washington (25th in YPC against)

3) 116 against Minnesota (18th in YPC against)

4) 107 against Dallas (10th in YPC against)

5) 100 against Detroit (8tth in YPC against)

6) 93 against Washington (32nd in YPC against)

7) 67 against the Chiefs (28th in YPC against)

8) 62 against the Seahawks (92th in YPC against)

9) 56 against the 49ers (23rd in YPC against)

interesting. Interesting.

14 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Give the man an extension .. he's our best player on offense, and figures to get an even more prominent role going forward once we get more into the LaFleur offense.  I think we want him here over the next three season at least, so lets get it done now and try to get the home town discount.  He's 25 years old with a Dec. 2nd Bday, and does not have a lot of wear on those wheels.  

Bakhtiari and Bulaga are both better than him. Adams is better than him. Linsley is arguably better than him. You could even make the argument that Rodgers is better than him. 

Jones isn't a top 5 RB guys. 

The transition tag for a RB in 2019 was $9.099m, but it seems to have been $9.63m in 2018. The projected TT for 2020 RBs is just $8.56m, so its dropping each year. That seems like a no-brainer from the teams point of view. The player might not be so happy with that.

https://nfltraderumors.co/projected-2020-franchise-transition-tag-totals/

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2019/03/01/nfl-2019-franchise-tag-numbers-transition-tag/

https://nfltraderumors.co/projected-2018-franchise-transition-tag-totals/

3 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Bakhtiari and Bulaga are both better than him. Adams is better than him. Linsley is arguably better than him. You could even make the argument that Rodgers is better than him. 

Jones isn't a top 5 RB guys. 

Best .. most explosive .. I dunno.  I think he's our most explosive offensive weapon .. one of the few players on the offense that can really move and has near elite quickness.  He's a valuable piece that I think can be locked up fairly reasonably at this time, because his agent will not want him playing for 735K in 2020.  There's a lot of incentive for his side to want to ink a deal .. at least i would think so.  

4 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I would probably offer Jones a moderate "hey kid, how do you feel about being a multi-millionaire for the first time?" deal that gives him another bite at FA in his prime, just to see if he bites.  Like a 2-year extension worth $15m in new money.

That's along the lines of what I'm thinking.  

9 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Best .. most explosive .. I dunno.  I think he's our most explosive offensive weapon .. one of the few players on the offense that can really move and has near elite quickness.  He's a valuable piece that I think can be locked up fairly reasonably at this time, because his agent will not want him playing for 735K in 2020.  There's a lot of incentive for his side to want to ink a deal .. at least i would think so.  

That's not why he signs a cheap long term deal, that's why he holds out.