If the Raiders signed Brady, would you pursue Carr?

malagabears

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

Carr is easily the better QB than Trubisky. Problem is, he's going to require a 2nd or 3rd round pick and I'll happily pass on that deal

Completely agree. Also, being better than Mitch right now doesn’t mean he’s a good NFL QB any more than me being better looking than Sloth from The Goonies means I’m an attractive man. Both bars are pretty damn low. 

• Like 2

On 2/2/2020 at 3:14 PM, Epyon said:

I'm not a big Carr fan, but he's outright better than any QB in this draft not named Burrow (unless Tua made a miraculous recovery).

That being said, I just don't see it being a possibility. I really don't think Pace wants to "risk" bringing in any QB that might be considered an outright better option over Mitch on day 1.

It's also for that reason I don't see us using either 2nd rounder on a QB in the draft, and think the absolute best case scenario for us is probably gonna be Anthony Gordon with a trade-down 3rd rounder getting brought in as "Mitch's backup" then getting thrown into the fire around week 10 when Mitch is still Mitch.

FWIW I also don't see Carr being a fit for the offense we're going to be forced to run with our WR group and/or Biscuit, either.... Carr has a big arm, and we pretty blatantly have zero deep threat guys, and really don't push the ball down field. Carr, I think, would probably be best served going to like the Buccs where he can play a more vertical passing game.

This is how I know this subforum doesn’t watch Derek Carr. Big arm, sure. He is also one of the most conservative QBs in the league and hates throwing deep. Even the ones who still support Carr will admit that. He is even on record in a interview saying you can’t throw deep more than once a game because defenses are smart. We’ve had teams play us shallow for 3 seasons. Carr has been near the bottom in NexGen Air Yards for the past three seasons. 

I’m sure you probably just watched his 2019 Highlight Video and was like Yay Carr!! For the most accurate analysis of Carr, you need to watch most of his full games. 

However, here’s a lowlight video to cancel out his highlight video: 

10 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Wow, you guys need watch Carr more and not box score scout/solely look at Bear game, the praise in here is unreal. You guys do realize Carr is 0-6 in sub 40 degree games with a -8,383,392 QB Rating right? (rating exaggeration but you get the point)

Here's a write up of Carr I did last week:

Thank you for bringing some sense into this board.  Like I said before, Carr is not a bad QB but I do not think he represents much of an upgrade over Mitch for the price that he will command.

I'd honestly rather roll with Mitch for another year, even if that means another poor season by him, just because I am not convinced Carr is a guy who will lead us to playoff success and we'd be better off letting a potential new GM/HC combo choose their own QB gong forward.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Thank you for bringing some sense into this board.  Like I said before, Carr is not a bad QB but I do not think he represents much of an upgrade over Mitch for the price that he will command.

I'd honestly rather roll with Mitch for another year, even if that means another poor season by him, just because I am not convinced Carr is a guy who will lead us to playoff success and we'd be better off letting a potential new GM/HC combo choose their own QB gong forward.

No problem. Carr is better than Mitch but the gap isn’t that big. 28th to 21st? Plus Carr is terrible in cold weather and cannot function without a Top 5 OL. The Bears is like the worst fit in the league for him. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

No problem. Carr is better than Mitch but the gap isn’t that big. 28th to 21st? Plus Carr is terrible in cold weather and cannot function without a Top 5 OL. The Bears is like the worst fit in the league for him. 

The fact that you're saying he is not good in cold weather really puts the nail in the coffin for me on pursuing him.

Just now, topwop1 said:

The fact that you're saying he is not good in cold weather really puts the nail in the coffin for me on pursuing him.

He’d be a great fit in Indy and thrive there. That’s where I would like to trade him, because I still wanna see him succeed. Dome and Best Offensive Line in the league (Carr literally does need a Top 5 OL). 

10 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

He’d be a great fit in Indy and thrive there. That’s where I would like to trade him, because I still wanna see him succeed. Dome and Best Offensive Line in the league (Carr literally does need a Top 5 OL). 

His allergy to throwing deep seems like a pretty big misfit with Hilton and Campbell to me. That seems like a natural landing spot for Rivers IMO. 

Just now, BayRaider said:

Rivers arm is completely shot. Unlike Brady, who should be a highly coveted free agent. 

Agree on Rivers’ arm but it doesn’t keep him from being aggressive down the field regardless. Brady’s arm is also nowhere near what it was IMO. 

It’s a fascinating year for me for QBs - we have 3 HOF guys about ready for the sofa potentially looking for a Manning-in-Denver ride to the sunset and a whole bunch of average to slightly above average guys all of whom may change teams ahead of a draft with 2 clear cut top picks and then several high risk guys. Honestly I’m kinda glad we are somewhat stuck with Mitch for 2020 - this has all the feels of an offseason where everyone in FA loses on QBs for a variety of reasons, in which case being able to cut bait with Mitch next March with no cap repercussions should he not click this year may be the best of a bunch of bad scenarios for us. 

2 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Agree on Rivers’ arm but it doesn’t keep him from being aggressive down the field regardless. Brady’s arm is also nowhere near what it was IMO. 

It’s a fascinating year for me for QBs - we have 3 HOF guys about ready for the sofa potentially looking for a Manning-in-Denver ride to the sunset and a whole bunch of average to slightly above average guys all of whom may change teams ahead of a draft with 2 clear cut top picks and then several high risk guys. Honestly I’m kinda glad we are somewhat stuck with Mitch for 2020 - this has all the feels of an offseason where everyone in FA loses on QBs for a variety of reasons, in which case being able to cut bait with Mitch next March with no cap repercussions should he not click this year may be the best of a bunch of bad scenarios for us. 

Bradys arm isn’t 2011 but it hasn’t lost a step since 2015 or so. Tom Brady is still a Top 5-6 QB and his stats don’t tell the story. He literally had the 32nd RB/WR/TE combo in the league. RBs averaged 3 ypc, TEs were no name garbage, WR was only Edelmen who was always doubled or bracketed or playing massively injured. It was really the worst cast in the NFL, not an over exaggeration. His OL was also probably 18-24 range. 

Bradys arm did not lose any velocity last year. Still a fantastic arm honestly. He can absolutely lead a team like the Raiders, Chargers, Colts, Titans, or Bears to a Super Bowl. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Bradys arm isn’t 2011 but it hasn’t lost a step since 2015 or so. Tom Brady is still a Top 5-6 QB and his stats don’t tell the story. He literally had the 32nd RB/WR/TE combo in the league. RBs averaged 3 ypc, TEs were no name garbage, WR was only Edelmen who was always doubled or bracketed or playing massively injured. It was really the worst cast in the NFL, not an over exaggeration. His OL was also probably 18-24 range. 

Bradys arm did not lose any velocity last year. Still a fantastic arm honestly. He can absolutely lead a team like the Raiders, Chargers, Colts, Titans, or Bears to a Super Bowl. 

Brady is going back to NE, book it. They will likely look to sign some big time play makers in guys like AJ Green and Hunter Henry to help Brady going forward plus keep him happy and NE will be back into the mix for a SB title next season.

Just now, topwop1 said:

Brady is going back to NE, book it. They will likely look to sign some big time play makers in guys like AJ Green and Hunter Henry to help Brady going forward plus keep him happy and NE will be back into the mix for a SB title next season.

More than likely. Would love him on the Raiders though. And trade up for Fromm in the 2nd who a lot of people are sleeping on. Fromm isn’t a Top 15 QB on most teams but on the Saints, Pats, and Raiders he’s a Top 10 QB waiting to happen.