General off-season discussion/plan thread

N4L

39 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I didn't expect to release Coleman anyways. If anything, you try to trade him at the draft to move up or get a late round pick. But at this point it seems like he will be on the roster. 

Barrows has actually hinted that the guy who may be traded is Breida. 

4 hours ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Don't expect much addition in the RB room with Coleman, Mostert, McKinnon(for whatever reason), Wilson and Breida. Breida being the most likely to be moved and have a draft pick replacement 

I saw the 2m guarantee for coleman and thought that perhaps that was a 2m hedge against not being able to secure a trade down/someone we want doesnt fall to the later rounds when we have more picks. You need to be flexible. We dont want to telegraph our moves either. We do have a target on our back now somewhat. 

I mean, cutting him and then not adding anyone else would be a bad move. Hes not particularly good, but he is the most 'reliable' runner we have. Good ball security for the most part. We gave him the ball more than anyone else on the inside zone runs, or maybe he just would try and cut back earlier than others because he doesnt have the same speed to the edge? 

Trading breida makes sense. He would get more in a trade than coleman - no one would trade for coleman, no one else would pay him what we are either. thats probably the most frustrating thing about it. Feels like a very easy move to make. Use that 5m to pay kittle! Its that simple. 

Trading breida would be a draft day move for a team that missed out on a RB. same with WR. all 32 teams think they are going to add a WR this draft, that might not be the case for some and then we will be able to trade goodwin for future picks... at least I hope.

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I wonder what the offers were for? But yes, makes no sense to trade him. Can have him on the roster for two more years, correct? 

If it's a day two pick, I'd trade him in a heartbeat. Given what Washington paid for Kyle Allen, I'd assume they wanted to give up like a 5, which I probably would have turned down

18 minutes ago, Forge said:

If it's a day two pick, I'd trade him in a heartbeat. Given what Washington paid for Kyle Allen, I'd assume they wanted to give up like a 5, which I probably would have turned down

Honestly, I wouldn't do it for a 3rd rounder. Mullens is the exact type of back up you want. Not like Jimmy has proven to be a healthy player over his career, so I'd rather keep Mullens them give him up for a 3rd round pick. 

14 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Honestly, I wouldn't do it for a 3rd rounder. Mullens is the exact type of back up you want. Not like Jimmy has proven to be a healthy player over his career, so I'd rather keep Mullens them give him up for a 3rd round pick. 

Just don't think he's that good. He's capped at a backup. Maybe he gets you a split in four games, maybe not. He's in the last year of his "cheap deal", then you have to start paying him 4 million plus. Not a 100% chance you'll even need him. 

Yeah, I have no problems at all moving him for a 3. Don't think anyone is giving up that much though. 

Is there a demonstrable difference between keeping him or trading him and signing Matt Moore? Probably not

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

Just don't think he's that good. He's capped at a backup. Maybe he gets you a split in four games, maybe not. He's in the last year of his "cheap deal", then you have to start paying him 4 million plus. Not a 100% chance you'll even need him. 

Yeah, I have no problems at all moving him for a 3. Don't think anyone is giving up that much though. 

Is there a demonstrable difference between keeping him or trading him and signing Matt Moore? Probably not

There is a solid difference between Mullens and say Beathard. Mullens does damn near everything Shanny wants a QB to do, except has some physical limitations that prevent him from being a starter. But yeah, I just don't value say a mid-late 3rd rounder as much as a solid backup QB on a team that has a starter that has literally played only one full season. 

Is there a difference between Mullens and say the backup QB situation for Seattle, GB, NYJ, PITT AZ etc? I'd say yes. Every time Rodgers goes down, we see the team fall apart. NYJ when Darnold (He's been pretty bad himself) got hurt was atrocious. Pittsburgh Steelers? Ha! 

There isn't a Moore that is available right now or even a Fitzpatrick, and you already know if Mullens gets traded, Shanny will just have Beathard as the back up QB. And we all know how that's going to go. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

There isn't a Moore that is available right now or even a Fitzpatrick, and you already know if Mullens gets traded, Shanny will just have Beathard as the back up QB. And we all know how that's going to go. 

I mean, Matt Moore himself is available??

Jameis is available. Trevor Siemian is available and I'd be fine with him as a back up. 

Just not a big deal for me, especially given that you don't know if you'll need him. If he goes with CJ, whatever. 

5 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Is there a difference between Mullens and say the backup QB situation for Seattle, GB, NYJ, PITT AZ etc?

Did you see Tim Boyle's QBR against us? Such disrespect. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I mean, Matt Moore himself is available??

Jameis is available. Trevor Siemian is available and I'd be fine with him as a back up. 

Just not a big deal for me, especially given that you don't know if you'll need him. If he goes with CJ, whatever. 

Did you see Tim Boyle's QBR against us? Such disrespect. 

Didn't know Moore was available, but I'm guessing he will be re-signed and the Chiefs just needed to clear some cap.

Jameis? Sure, but he's going to be more expensive than Mullens. And doubt Shanny will like him all that much.

Siemian? Nope, will gladly take Mullens over him.

We can agree to disagree, but yeah, I'm not valuing a 3rd round pick over a solid backup. Seen too many teams seasons fall apart when the starter goes down for even a three or four game stretch.