Green Bay Packers Salary Cap Thread

JBURGE

On 7/14/2020 at 12:10 PM, JBURGE said:

If someone is willing to pay Aaron Jones $10m a year, he is welcome to leave. There is no way I pay a RB that much, especially with Rodgers cap hit and another 1st round pick at QB's cap hit. RB has turned into a draft and recycle strategy, and I sincerely hope we do this. Unless like @MrBobGray said we can get him for 3/$21m, do that. Even then I would rather just roll with Dillon and another mid round draft pick next year.

And as to your first note, Aaron Jones is not a great WR. He is an above average receiving back.

And as to your first note, Aaron Jones is not a great WR. He is an above average receiving back. Seriously dude? 

Jones is certainly worth 10 mil per year at his age and unless he tries to price himself above the market the Packers should be willing. I think a number of free agents are due for a reality check because teams have all taken a hit due to the virus. I think some of you underestimate the importance of Aaron Jones to the Packers, especially with the state of the WR corp. Jones and Williams bailed the WR's out last year many times. Jones may be the odd man out due to big contracts for BaK and Clark but we'll see.

5 minutes ago, gizmo2012 said:

And as to your first note, Aaron Jones is not a great WR. He is an above average receiving back. Seriously dude? 

Jones is certainly worth 10 mil per year at his age and unless he tries to price himself above the market the Packers should be willing. I think a number of free agents are due for a reality check because teams have all taken a hit due to the virus. I think some of you underestimate the importance of Aaron Jones to the Packers, especially with the state of the WR corp. Jones and Williams bailed the WR's out last year many times. Jones may be the odd man out due to big contracts for BaK and Clark but we'll see.

As ridiculous as you think it is for me to say that Aaron Jones is not a great WR, I think it's just as ridiculous to say he is. He is a receiving threat at RB, he has lined up out wide and been effective, but I don't think he is anything special lined up out wide with the exception of screens. He has run some great deep routes, but most of those are from the backfield running a seam or a wheel. 

On 7/15/2020 at 2:36 AM, VonKarman said:

Who's gonna pay Jamaal Williams more than 2M?, specially this year with a saturated RB market.

Ummmm we are paying him more than 2M this year, not much over 2M, but he is over it for this season

19 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Which top 40-60 running back are getting paid anything?

https://overthecap.com/position/running-back/

If you can't get Williams for 2 million, you can get a Williams equivalent for 2 million.

I get the point here, but either this list is not updated, a la Jones and J. Williams escalators hit to give them 2.147M. I believe this list is presented as a cap hit per year average. That can give somewhat of a basis, but teams can backload contracts with high per year cap hits they never intend to pay which inflates the player on this list. Also, most of the players in that 40-60 range are on a rookie contracts so not really a fair comp there for the player you can get at that price.

I agree you can get some solid role players around that 2M mark, but its probably going to be either an older veteran (AP, Dion Lewis, TJ Yeldon etc) or someone that has some other baggage like injuries. I would not be surprised with Williams getting more than 2M next year as I would not be surprised if he got less either. Breida and Mostert are both north of 2M and relatively close to Williams age and production wise.    

17 hours ago, Tperk said:

Thats crazy that Jones is slated to make the 5th most money at the RB position on our team next year. Dexter Williams is paid more.

He's not he is third at best. Both Jamaal Williams and Aaron Jones are 2.147M next year as they hit 2019 proven performance escalators, this list I think does some averages or is not up to date. 

5 hours ago, rbens06 said:

Ummmm we are paying him more than 2M this year, not much over 2M, but he is over it for this season

2.27M on the final year of a rookie contract where he was chosen ahead of Aaron Jones. Nick Perry was earning over 10M in his last year and he hasn't gotten pther contract after that.

Williams might get 3M, but no more than that unless a GM does a stupid move.

On 7/15/2020 at 10:34 AM, Beast said:

No was is talking about paying him big money, so that's a red herring argument. But it's possible he could get more than $2 million which is less than half of what I believe some kickers are getting.

If we're complaining about spending $2M on RB2 who played in a quarter of our snaps last year, then we're doing well.

On 7/16/2020 at 11:05 AM, Brat&Beer said:

Packers have 5 starters who will be UFA's in 2021:

Clark 

Bakhtiari

King

Jones

Linsley

I've listed them in what I think the priority of signing them should be. 

I don't think I'd put Bakhti that high.  Especially not in terms of extending now.  He's been really good for us, but he's been bashing away for 7 NFL seasons.  This will be 8th season.  We could tag for season 9.  After his tag season, his subsequent multi-year megabucks contract will be very expensive.  3rd-contract for guys in their 30's, sometimes good players earn good contracts for sure.  But I'd be a little hesitant to pay top-market dollars with big guarantee based on what a guy was in years 3-7 of his career, for a 30's guy in years 10-12 of his career.  

So I'd wait on him, and see if he stays healthy this year, and if father time starts to show.  Then I'd maybe tag him for another year.  

Not saying he won't be well worth paying, and paying high market price for an OT.  I'm just suggesting that trying to extend him at full-market price (or what would have seemed to be full-market price pre-Covid), seems premature now.  With Covid-based shrinkage of the salary cap, I'm not sure what market will be a season from now, or after a tag season.  I think it would make best sense to wait and see what happens with this season and with the cap, and then to maybe let his tag season play out, before making any long-term extension. 

20 hours ago, VonKarman said:

2.27M on the final year of a rookie contract where he was chosen ahead of Aaron Jones. Nick Perry was earning over 10M in his last year and he hasn't gotten pther contract after that.

Williams might get 3M, but no more than that unless a GM does a stupid move.

Right it is a rookie deal, and I agree with the idea that if we cut him now he likely would not get 2M, but we are willing to pay him over 2M right now. I think the current negotiations will play in to a guy like Williams next contract, if NFL and NFLPA take cuts over multiple years guys like Williams will most likely still be on rosters, but would see lesser salaries. I agree though up to 3M would not surprise me by any means. Perry is not a fair comp at all to Williams; Perry was given a second contract and declined in the years after signing that second contract. Williams you can argue is ascending. Still young and has added other components to his game, pass blocking and catching, that may not make him a featured guy, but a solid back to have.  

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

If we're complaining about spending $2M on RB2 who played in a quarter of our snaps last year, then we're doing well.

Totally agree! I have no problems with his salary at 2M and some change, even if he is 3rd on the pecking order with Jones and Dillon. I think Williams makes for a solid safety net back and someone I think we can plug and play any time. 

One other point on these pending FA's is that Jones kind of fits into a different place, in that his salary will be half the size of what DL, CB, and OT cost.  He almost belongs in a different discussion.   Kind of like a discussion about nice new SUV, versus a used economy car.  Very different price ranges.  

On 7/16/2020 at 11:05 AM, Brat&Beer said:

Packers have 5 starters who will be UFA's in 2021:

Clark 

Bakhtiari

King

Jones

Linsley

I've listed them in what I think the priority of signing them should be. 

1 hour ago, craig said:

I don't think I'd put Bakhti that high.  Especially not in terms of extending now.  He's been really good for us, but he's been bashing away for 7 NFL seasons.  This will be 8th season.  We could tag for season 9.  After his tag season, his subsequent multi-year megabucks contract will be very expensive.  3rd-contract for guys in their 30's, sometimes good players earn good contracts for sure.  But I'd be a little hesitant to pay top-market dollars with big guarantee based on what a guy was in years 3-7 of his career, for a 30's guy in years 10-12 of his career.  

So I'd wait on him, and see if he stays healthy this year, and if father time starts to show.  Then I'd maybe tag him for another year.  

Not saying he won't be well worth paying, and paying high market price for an OT.  I'm just suggesting that trying to extend him at full-market price (or what would have seemed to be full-market price pre-Covid), seems premature now.  With Covid-based shrinkage of the salary cap, I'm not sure what market will be a season from now, or after a tag season.  I think it would make best sense to wait and see what happens with this season and with the cap, and then to maybe let his tag season play out, before making any long-term extension. 

I dont see how Bakhtiari is any lower than 2 on this list and personally can easily make the argument for 1 on this list. He is 28 right now, will be 29 in September. He has been relatively durable, some minor back flare ups, but for the most part durable. I dont see any reason why a shorter deal, 3-4 year extension would not be warranted. He is a free agent after this season so, signing him at 29 to a 3-4 year extension still puts him in prime years. What happens with the cap should be put into to play before the offseason and so we should be able to plan for that with this contract. 

To me this is a no brainer, unless something crazy happens this season, but an elite level left tackle that is under 30 to me warrants at least a 3-4 year contract extension. Also, you can craft the contract so that more gurantees and such are paid in years 1 and 2, so that if you need/want to cut him you have options to. Look at the contracts we did with the Smiths, Amos, and Turner, all have outs where we can save money after the second season if something would not pan out. We will have some dead money, but there will be a cap savings. 

Only caveat I see is when you say now and if you literally mean now like during TC or early season. I can understand putting him lower then as his market value should not spike as much as someone like Jones or King could if they have another big year. Bakhtiari has already proven himself and got high market value, so his increase should be relatively small in regards to someone like Jones or King who are playing on smaller deals. 

1 hour ago, craig said:

OL isn't the same as a skill position.  Most OL age extremely well, and there's been plenty of players who have maintained elite play well into their 30s.  Bahk's game will fall faster than some, as a lot of it is his quickness and feet, but honestly I'd be willing to bet he's easily got another 5 years of high level play in him.

1 hour ago, craig said:

I don't necessarily think he should be extended now. Of the 5 I've mentioned, Clark is the only one I'd definitely be looking to extend now. But once the salary cap situation is clarified, I'd still have Bakhtiari 2nd on the list. Top LT's are harder to come by that CB's, RB's or C's. 

The one thing you do worry about with Bakhtiari is how well he takes care of himself. He's not always the safest bet to come into camp in shape. Usually works out fine by the end of the year, but there's been at least two seasons in his career where he's come in out of shape.