Make FF Great again! Ideas and suggestions to increase forum activity

Webmaster

4 minutes ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

So, here's a question that I haven't seen addressed yet.

If we're looking to recruit new members to FF, should we try and recruit them to the "old" forum now, and let them get their feet wet there, or do we hold on until the new site is out of beta, and recruit them to that one?

IMO the old forum is too out-dated. Also, most of us are starting to abandon the old forum and start adding content to this forum. 

On 7/20/2017 at 11:50 AM, NewAge said:

I think a real key is offering stuff that you can't find on twitter or elsewhere.  This site needs to do stuff to stand out, which I think includes featured content

Good call

Content is King

If posters write a great / informative post in any of the subforums, you can nominate it to be posted in the FF Hall of Fame Forum.

Writing good content becomes a badge of honor....and once you have a post in the HOF, you get a special icon on your sig. not unlike how college teams put stickers on the helmets for great plays. Reward the quality content like what Calhoun Lambeau or CWood21 does in the Draft forum, those guys put out great content and so do many others.

2 hours ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

If we're looking to recruit new members to FF, should we try and recruit them to the "old" forum now, and let them get their feet wet there, or do we hold on until the new site is out of beta, and recruit them to that one?

That's what this beta "test" is supposed to be for.

4 hours ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

Wait till the forum transition is over.   New members will just be confused.

Given users additional incentives to participate would be great IMO.The addition of reputation is nice. In the past there has been no way to track how good a poster really is. Post count is not a great indicator of quality. 

I think badges/medals/awards would be a nice addition. You could maybe have tier system. For example, badges as small rewards (post of the week), medals as intermediate (poster of the month) and awards as annual/seasonal awards (most valuable poster in a subforum, rookie of the year etc.). Having the different tiers allows you to reward participation over different time periods and not alienate new or long term users. I know a number of forums have their own informal awards, making them a standard feature viewable in the profile would be nice (trophy cabinet of some sort?). There could also be special awards for long term participation in the forum for veteran members. 

On the side of downvotes/dislikes, I generally dislike the idea as it can throttle discussion and leads to 'echo chambers' where unique opinions are scarce. Sticking to the football theme, we could include flags (as in penalty flags). These could be handed out as formal warnings for things like excessive trolling, garbage posts and other offences that don't follow forum conduct. Wipe them after a season/year/set period of time so that they don't become a permanent mark on a poster. Perhaps restrict this power to the mods to begin with. 

• 2 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

What if we allowed back formerly banned members and give them a second chance on this site? Alot of my faves got the boot of the years.

I feel like if they've gotten a permaban, they had way more than one chance

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure this has been suggested as I haven't read through everything, but here's something I've always thouthat would be good. I'd really love to see the college forum expanded. There really isn't one great college football forum on the Internet (like FF is to he NFL). You have stuff like scout, but most fans don't want to pay for it. Plenty of people would sign up here if they knew this site was the "new great college football forum."

To start you could make subforums for for each major conference and a sub forum for all other conferences. Possibly even having a CF new subforum.

On 7/25/2017 at 7:25 PM, Shanedorf said:

If posters write a great / informative post in any of the subforums, you can nominate it to be posted in the FF Hall of Fame Forum.

Writing good content becomes a badge of honor....and once you have a post in the HOF, you get a special icon on your sig. not unlike how college teams put stickers on the helmets for great plays. Reward the quality content like what Calhoun Lambeau or CWood21 does in the Draft forum, those guys put out great content and so do many others.

This is a very good idea. 

As someone who would probably be here primarily for the CFB discussion, breaking it into it's own section with major division sub forums (power five and maybe AAC) would be a good idea to help drive further discussion.  

Also, I really like the change to IPB.  Years ago, I thought they lagged behind everyone, but right now, they are on top of the forum software game, including my old favorite vBulletin.  I especially like how the site changes for you based on mobile versus desktop.  

I'd be more than happy with creating sub-forums for college football, but the activity has to be there.  So far only 5 topics have been posted in today in the College football forum.  Members have to get out of the habit of posting everything in one topic.  It's terrible for forum activity.  

Early in the beta there was a push for subforms in the Baseball forum.  But today I look at the baseball forum and there isn't even a topic on the Harper injury.  I guess that discussion is buried in one of the big general topics in there.  Who knows.  I don't frequent the baseball forum, but I sure would read a topic about the Harper injury and see what was going on.   However, I'm not going to go search for it and neither will most casual members.  

7 minutes ago, Webmaster said:

I'd be more than happy with creating sub-forums for college football, but the activity has to be there.  So far only 5 topics have been posted in today in the College football forum.  Members have to get out of the habit of posting everything in one topic.  It's terrible for forum activity.  

Early in the beta there was a push for subforms in the Baseball forum.  But today I look at the baseball forum and there isn't even a topic on the Harper injury.  I guess that discussion is buried in one of the big general topics in there.  Who knows.  I don't frequent the baseball forum, but I sure would read a topic about the Harper injury and see what was going on.   However, I'm not going to go search for it and neither will most casual members.  

You bring up a great point, it's something I've fought on other forums when I've been on staff for years.  Part of it is going to be on your posters to be on board with the change and create more threads.  Another part is going to be on your moderators to be on the lookout to "break out" discussion once it hits a certain point (i.e. 10 replies to a certain post, or something along those lines.)  It definitely has potential, but I also see the point where you are coming from for the college football forum.  

Archived