2020 Free Agency Thread

HTTRDynasty

16 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

We were out on Hoop early. Not sure I would count that. If we did, I'm sure we checked on other guys too and bowed early.

True but it’s not like we just ignored signing the top FAs, we just didn’t think it was worth making Hooper one of the highest paid TEs or Byron Jones the highest paid CB, time will tell if we were right. My feeling is that those guys will be good to great in their new stops but their fans/the media will be saying a few years from now that Coop, Hoop, Byron Jones etc didn’t live up to their contracts unless their teams win a Super Bowl after signing them - time will tell. My personal opinion is that Terry is better then Cooper and I want to be able to re-sign him to a deal like we offered Coop in 3 years and that we’ll be drafting a TE in this draft or next that will develop into what Cooper is.

51 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

True but it’s not like we just ignored signing the top FAs, we just didn’t think it was worth making Hooper one of the highest paid TEs or Byron Jones the highest paid CB, time will tell if we were right. My feeling is that those guys will be good to great in their new stops but their fans/the media will be saying a few years from now that Coop, Hoop, Byron Jones etc didn’t live up to their contracts unless their teams win a Super Bowl after signing them - time will tell. My personal opinion is that Terry is better then Cooper and I want to be able to re-sign him to a deal like we offered Coop in 3 years and that we’ll be drafting a TE in this draft or next that will develop into what Cooper is.

To me and I'm guessing other our issues isn't not signing certian players like Cooper or Hooper,the issue is more after we failed to sign them we went to Logan Thomas and Cody Lattimer.

I get what Rivera is trying to do but deep down I don't think we're giving our young QB a fair shot.

20 minutes ago, ovfd55 said:

To me and I'm guessing other our issues isn't not signing certian players like Cooper or Hooper,the issue is more after we failed to sign them we went to Logan Thomas and Cody Lattimer.

I get what Rivera is trying to do but deep down I don't think we're giving our young QB a fair shot.

But you can say this is how you actually grade where this player is!!! Does he improve too the point that he makes the guys we have better which shows he can be elite. Or we will find out if we have a Kirk where we have to put XYZ here and there to try and make that run. Trubisky’s 2nd year with the team sucsess I think had given Chicago a false hope with him. He has some pieces and he’s never made them better. It’s just is what it is. Haskins will either elevate or not. But without the additions we get a chance to truely gauge where his talent level can be moving forward!!! If we compete and he’s a huge reason for that with our youth then spending next year could be to make a leap and really compete. If not then we might have to add to just try too

• Like 1

On 4/2/2020 at 9:04 AM, ovfd55 said:

Our young QB was playing pretty good last December w/ Terry, Steven Sims, Harmon & Sprinkle as his weapons.

I don’t think that should get lost in all of this. I would think that Richard Rogers and Logan Thomas are an upgrade over Sprinkle or whatever rookie we draft, it remains to be seen. And maybe Sprinkle takes a jump next year to being a 40 to 50 recs TE w/ a handful of TEs.

We just don’t know. I saw Haskins play well with that group before we added Lattimer, Rogers and Thomas and presumably a rookie TE and WR in the draft.

I don’t know, I just think that Haskins does have weapons. I think people are exaggerating when they say that he doesn't.

Edited by turtle28

20 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

But you can say this is how you actually grade where this player is!!! Does he improve too the point that he makes the guys we have better which shows he can be elite. Or we will find out if we have a Kirk where we have to put XYZ here and there to try and make that run. Trubisky’s 2nd year with the team sucsess I think had given Chicago a false hope with him. He has some pieces and he’s never made them better. It’s just is what it is. Haskins will either elevate or not. But without the additions we get a chance to truely gauge where his talent level can be moving forward!!! If we compete and he’s a huge reason for that with our youth then spending next year could be to make a leap and really compete. If not then we might have to add to just try too

Kirk needed XYZ? Look at 2017 (4093 yds, 27 TDs & 13 ints) & the lack of weapons the Redskins had at WR outside of Crowder & he battled injuries and dropped a lot of passes he should have caught (Ryan Grant was arguably our most consistent WR) and Kirk never had a consistent running game to support him. I still don’t understand why people don’t see what Kirk was able to do w/ little talent around him in 2017, a bad running game and a bad defense.

Also, every QB needs talent around them to succeed. Every top QB has a top weapon or two they are playing with. Haskins has that with Terry and possibly Steven Sims too.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Kirk needed XYZ? Look at 2017 (4093 yds, 27 TDs & 13 ints) & the lack of weapons the Redskins had at WR outside of Crowder & he battled injuries and dropped a lot of passes he should have caught (Ryan Grant was arguably our most consistent WR) and Kirk never had a consistent running game to support him. I still don’t understand why people don’t see what Kirk was able to do w/ little talent around him in 2017, a bad running game and a bad defense.

Also, every QB needs talent around them to succeed. Every top QB has a top weapon or two they are playing with. Haskins has that with Terry and possibly Steven Sims too.

I like Kirk but we all know good even great players need help. But I wouldn’t say Kirk was elevating the guys as much as having Chris Thompson playing all pro football for half that year helped Kirk a lot. And the scheme allowed for the guys we had to produce and Kirk was the driver of that stretch. Kirk isn’t as bad as people make him out to be because his big game proformances. But we all know for Kirk to have a real shot like many good QB’s he needs to have a really good unit. I believe if we stick with Kirk we are in the playoffs these past two seasons. But I don’t think we’d be as good as he has been with the Vikings because they have a better roster top to bottom. But them paying Kirk now they have to supplement the roster and move pieces to stay below the cap. With better OL play their best shot with Kirk I think is this next season. But they have to keep Cook fresh for the playoffs. And they have to find a way to replace Diggs even if that’s with two other WR’s just stepping their production up together to match what they had. Kirk did a fine job here for our roster around him!!! Regretfully our FO under Allen wasn’t on the same page with his Coaching staff. If he was a few extra million instead of trading them paying smith would have been the move. But Bruce kept bitching it. Not Kirks fault. I personally wouldn’t have paid him 28. But before the second franchise tag I would have offered him the 25 we offered right before he left a season before his second tag. We botched it with him. But he has to have a really good team to shine.

This season Haskins could grow and make this team better then we think it is if he grows. If he does we could realistically have a completely different outlook and plan next offseason. If he balls we could be looking to add a valuable asset that’s more of a luxuary then a need if he shines. To where if he’s just producing maybe we look and say fill a few spots and we could be  competitive. Haskins play can still shine with what we have. But I feel like without all the new toys you have a better gauge at where his actual impact is from that position and that’s a good idea to gauge before investing money around a guy before your stuck and married too him completely. Having money to add weapons next season for him or the backup plan/ draft pick if he struggles is something I’m okay with 

On 4/2/2020 at 10:30 AM, ripsean21 said:

I like Kirk but we all know good even great players need help. But I wouldn’t say Kirk was elevating the guys as much as having Chris Thompson playing all pro football for half that year helped Kirk a lot. And the scheme allowed for the guys we had to produce and Kirk was the driver of that stretch. Kirk isn’t as bad as people make him out to be because his big game proformances. But we all know for Kirk to have a real shot like many good QB’s he needs to have a really good unit. I believe if we stick with Kirk we are in the playoffs these past two seasons. But I don’t think we’d be as good as he has been with the Vikings because they have a better roster top to bottom. But them paying Kirk now they have to supplement the roster and move pieces to stay below the cap. With better OL play their best shot with Kirk I think is this next season. But they have to keep Cook fresh for the playoffs. And they have to find a way to replace Diggs even if that’s with two other WR’s just stepping their production up together to match what they had. Kirk did a fine job here for our roster around him!!! Regretfully our FO under Allen wasn’t on the same page with his Coaching staff. If he was a few extra million instead of trading them paying smith would have been the move. But Bruce kept bitching it. Not Kirks fault. I personally wouldn’t have paid him 28. But before the second franchise tag I would have offered him the 25 we offered right before he left a season before his second tag. We botched it with him. But he has to have a really good team to shine.

This season Haskins could grow and make this team better then we think it is if he grows. If he does we could realistically have a completely different outlook and plan next offseason. If he balls we could be looking to add a valuable asset that’s more of a luxuary then a need if he shines. To where if he’s just producing maybe we look and say fill a few spots and we could be  competitive. Haskins play can still shine with what we have. But I feel like without all the new toys you have a better gauge at where his actual impact is from that position and that’s a good idea to gauge before investing money around a guy before your stuck and married too him completely. Having money to add weapons next season for him or the backup plan/ draft pick if he struggles is something I’m okay with 

I would use Ryan Grant and Josh Doctson as my examples where Kirk elevated their play. Kirk elevated those two players play where they both actually performed decently in 2017 & had career years that they’ll likely never have again.

Grant: 45 recs, 573 yds & 4 TDs 

Doctson: 35 recs, 502 yds & 6 TDs

I also agree that if Kirk was kept that we would have been a payoff team in 2018 & 2019 or at worst competing for one of those spots in the end. I will also say that if we had done what I thought we should have done in 2017 and traded for Adrian Peterson when he wanted off of the Saints that w/ the running game of Peterson to go with Kirk & the passing game that in 2017 we may have made the playoffs too as well as in 2018 & 2019. If we hadn’t made it again, at worst we would have been one of the last ones out.

Another way to think about that though is if we had kept Kirk we wouldn’t be in position to draft Chase Young now who very well could help make our D a top 5 D for the next decade which should help us also be a perennial playoff team for the next decade.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 2

I somehow missed this.  $23 million guaranteed?  Lol.  Dallas gave him $40 million.  

Good to know we didn't completely lose our minds trying to outbid Dallas.  Also, the narrative he turned down significantly more from us is extremely flawed.

29 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I somehow missed this.  $23 million guaranteed?  Lol.  Dallas gave him $40 million.  

Good to know we didn't completely lose our minds trying to outbid Dallas.  Also, the narrative he turned down significantly more from us is extremely flawed.

Well no wonder why Coop didn't sign here!

On 4/2/2020 at 10:30 AM, ripsean21 said:

With better OL play their best shot with Kirk I think is this next season. But they have to keep Cook fresh for the playoffs. And they have to find a way to replace Diggs even if that’s with two other WR’s just stepping their production up together to match what they had.

I was just thinking of responding to this part of your post. The Vikings got a 1st for trading Diggs so they can replace Diggs with Tee Higgins, Claypool, Mims etc and with their natural pick or vice versa they can take a corner to replace Xavier Rhodes.

They Vikings are going to be just fine. They have two first round picks to patch those holes.

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Guice is such a beast. If he’s healthy, he’s a top 10 back in the league for my money. Maybe not in terms of production — good chance it’s a garbage OL that will hold him back — but in terms of talent. He’s just so explosive and violent.