2020 Free Agency Thread

HTTRDynasty

7 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

It could be, but if Conklin is only above average or so it isn’t. Penn bridging another year might be. 

Yeah but at worst you have to move Conklin to RT in 2021 and then you take a LT in the first round of that draft.

27 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I understand their hesitation. I don’t think Hooper is a special player, just a good one. 

But this is sort of the same flawed thought process they’ve had for years — be “interested” in guys at the top of the market, then be shocked by the sticker price, throw up their hands and decide to sign some lesser player to a more “reasonable” deal. Which is how you end up with guys that have serious red flags or limited upside.

This is sort of what they did in 2018, for example, which made for some bad deals. Top of the WR market was crazy, didn’t want to pay to play for Jarvis Landry or Allen Robinson, instead give a (less) big contract to Paul Richardson. Didn’t want to jump in on Demario Davis or Avery Williamson, and instead end up bringing back Zach Brown when no one wanted him. Or in 2017, when they were rumored to be interested in Calais Campbell, but let him go to the Jags on a top of the market deal and instead got TWO guys named McClain and McGee for cheaper.

If they don’t really like Hooper, that’s okay. But you’re not really “interested” in a top of the market player if you’re only willing to sign him if you get a bargain price. If you want to bring in high-end talent, you have to accept that you’ll have to lay out high-end money. It’s just the way it is. 

I fully expect that they’ll get scared off by the market for Hooper, decide they’re getting a “better deal” on a guy like Ebron, pay him 80% of what Hooper gets, and then spend the next couple seasons watching him continue to have injury issues, drops issues, blocking issues, and football character issues. And then scratch their heads and wonder why they can’t catch a break in free agency. 

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Why? Penn is not as good of an OT anymore as Conklin currently is. Conklin is in his prime, Penn was lucky he was on a team last year which had a gaping hole at LT. If it wasn’t for Trent sitting out, Penn may have not played a down of football all last year. 

A couple things you  have to consider. 

Conklin is going to cost a lot of money, but we are talking about paying him a lot of money to switch positions.  That is a huge risk.  He has never played LT in the nfl.   Penn is certainly a better Left Tackle than Conklin.  Conklin has never played Left Tackle.

If Conklin is so good, why are the Titans letting him walk?  They aren't exactly deep at the position.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

I understand their hesitation. I don’t think Hooper is a special player, just a good one. 

But this is sort of the same flawed thought process they’ve had for years — be “interested” in guys at the top of the market, then be shocked by the sticker price, throw up their hands and decide to sign some lesser player to a more “reasonable” deal. Which is how you end up with guys that have serious red flags or limited upside.

This is sort of what they did in 2018, for example, which made for some bad deals. Top of the WR market was crazy, didn’t want to pay to play for Jarvis Landry or Allen Robinson, instead give a (less) big contract to Paul Richardson. Didn’t want to jump in on Demario Davis or Avery Williamson, and instead end up bringing back Zach Brown when no one wanted him. Or in 2017, when they were rumored to be interested in Calais Campbell, but let him go to the Jags on a top of the market deal and instead got TWO guys named McClain and McGee for cheaper.

If they don’t really like Hooper, that’s okay. But you’re not really “interested” in a top of the market player if you’re only willing to sign him if you get a bargain price. If you want to bring in high-end talent, you have to accept that you’ll have to lay out high-end money. It’s just the way it is. 

I fully expect that they’ll get scared off by the market for Hooper, decide they’re getting a “better deal” on a guy like Ebron, pay him 80% of what Hooper gets, and then spend the next couple seasons watching him continue to have injury issues, drops issues, blocking issues, and football character issues. And then scratch their heads and wonder why they can’t catch a break in free agency. 

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f297944c9f3d47b94bb6b

By ”them” I'd hope you include most fans in the group. Most fans want the best players but then when they find out what those players are getting paid they don't want them. Then, a few years later they say ”oh, we should have just paid a few more million a year for the other guy, ” and the fans complain bc the Redskins aren't winning.

2 hours ago, offbyone said:

A couple things you  have to consider. 

Conklin is going to cost a lot of money, but we are talking about paying him a lot of money to switch positions.  That is a huge risk.  He has never played LT in the nfl.   Penn is certainly a better Left Tackle than Conklin.  Conklin has never played Left Tackle.

If Conklin is so good, why are the Titans letting him walk?  They aren't exactly deep at the position.

Well, unless you have a crystal ball we don't know if Conklin is or isn't a better option at LT then Penn. My guess is he would be bc he's 11 years younger. Let's be clear, the only reason Conklin was never tried at LT is bc he was drafted by a team which had a pro bowl caliber LT in place already. Conklin did play LT at Michigan State.

The Titans are letting Conklin walk bc they are trying to figure out what they want to do at QB - probably give Tanehill a huge deal - and they are going to sign Derrick Henry long term.

Out of those 3 positions it's much easier to find a good RT in the draft or FA then it is to find a good to great QB and arguably the best RB in the NFL.

Edited by turtle28

4 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

That’s my point. That’s a super expensive RT

I agree but if you have a great RT that's important too. A lot of the leagues best pass rushers are rushing from the left side now like Von Miller, Khalil Mack etc. 

The Eagles just gave Layne Johnson a huge deal and that's bc they have their future LT  - Andre Dillard - on a rookie deal.

We’d be doing the same thing if we did have to move Conklin back to RT after one year if he isn't good enough at LT.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I agree but if you have a great RT that's important too. A lot of the leagues best pass rushers are rushing from the left side now like Von Miller, Khalil Mack etc. 

The Eagles just gave Layne Johnson a huge deal and that's bc they have their future LT  - Andre Dillard - on a rookie deal.

We’d be doing the same thing if we did have to now Conklin back to RT after one year if he isn't good enough at LT.

With the possibility of trading Trent to the Jags pick #2 is now tradable more than likely. We'd be getting back a DE and now able to trade down for possibly 2 1st round picks. Maybe they do a deal where Jags get #2 and the Skins receive #9 and #20. Skin's could fill a go Lamb or Jeudy at #9 and LT at #20. Signing Cocklin and possibly releasing or trading Moses. Or they keep #2 and make a deal with another team for the 2nd pick in the draft. 

Basically them losing Trent Williams and Chase Young for Jeudy or Lamb, Andrew Thomas, Cocklin, and Ngakoue. Or you keep Moses and just draft Trents replacement. 

Edited by Skins212689

43 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Well, unless you have a crystal ball we don't know if Conklin is or isn't a better option at LT then Penn. My guess is he would be bc he's 11 years younger. Let's be clear, the only reason Conklin was never tried at LT is bc he was drafted by a team which had a pro bowl caliber LT in place already. Conklin did play LT at Michigan State.

The Titans are letting Conklin walk bc they are trying to figure out what they want to do at QB - probably give Tanehill a huge deal - and they are going to sign Derrick Henry long term.

Out of those 3 positions it's much easier to find a good RT in the draft or FA then it is to find a good to great QB and arguably the best RB in the NFL.

Even when Conklin was drafted, the talk was he would be a better fit at RT.  Look if we can get him for a reasonable price I am all for it, I am just anticipating him wanting 15M/year.  

I agree that RT is considerably easier to fill than Left.  

I guess I am in the camp that unless we trade down with our #2, we just aren't going to fill the left tackle spot with a long term replacement this year.  The market is just thin.  I am on the stop gap bandwagon.

• Like 1