2020 Free Agency Thread

HTTRDynasty

3 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

YMMV.

I have rarely seen it as a last name without an "S".

It's an honest mistake. I almost make it a few times when talking about him now even though I know it's no S

Yes, but I point it out every time someone makes the mistake. I've been pointing it out since October or November.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

Mike Lombardi I think reported Conklin is the hottest to sign first he thinks it’s gonna be us

i don’t know the report or source I just brought it up as discussion

I've been seeing a lot of reporting that we are going to make him a priority. I hope we trade Trent and sign Conklin, it's my #1 replacement for Trent.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

Yes, but I point it out every time someone makes the mistake. I've been pointing it out since October or November.

No worries my friend. I also hate it when people say "for free" or use "impact" as a transitive verb ("how does this impact us?"). Not judging you

8 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I've been seeing a lot of reporting that we are going to make him a priority. I hope we trade Trent and sign Conklin, it's my #1 replacement for Trent.

I like it. Him Schreff and Flowers is a respectable line that can pull and run block for sure. I like Hooper and Terry I still hope we’re focused on using the backs even if it’s using love and Guice out the backfield catching screens I think Conklin would be a huge addition. Pricey but that’s a place it’s cool to spend we need to protect Haskins or whoever. We all want trents talents in a perfect world but I just don’t think he wants that so a unhappy horse can tarnish a stable

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

You were a big NO a month ago when Myself and a few others brought up Conklin’s name on signing a RT, what changed your mind?

16 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

You were a big NO a month ago when Myself and a few others brought up Conklin’s name on signing a RT, what changed your mind?

I thought I was a NO to cutting Moses & then giving Conklin a huge contract of like $15 million per year to play RT. If it wasn't I misunderstood. I didn't want to pay our OTs $30 million a year combined bc we have other needs.

14 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I thought I was a NO to cutting Moses & then giving Conklin a huge contract of like $15 million per year to play RT. If it wasn't I misunderstood. I didn't want to pay our OTs $30 million a year combined bc we have other needs.

Ok thanks. Hopefully Conklin can play LT like he did in college. That would be huge. 

8 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Ok thanks. Hopefully Conklin can play LT like he did in college. That would be huge. 

Yeah, he can, he's just not going to be as athletic as Trent but, we’ll probably never have a LT as physically gifted as Trent again.

On 3/13/2020 at 7:07 AM, turtle28 said:

Yeah, he can, he's just not going to be as athletic as Trent but, we’ll probably never have a LT as physically gifted as Trent again.

I’m really not sold on Conklin as a LT. He had heavy feet as a college player, I was never sold on him as a LT — and that was before 4 years of NFL wear and tear, as well as a major knee injury. 

To me, it’s just a very Redskins thing to do to sign a guy in FA to play a new role/position that he’s never played and just hope it works out. The guy’s value comes from the fact that he’s been able to do *something* well, but the Redskins decide to bet big on him having the ability to do *something else* sight unseen. 

They've done it for years with the DL — signing guys like Hatcher and Cofield, for example, and expecting them to shift to 3-4 DE and NT respectively — and many of their worst acquisitions (Lloyd, Canidate, Randle El, McGee/McClain, Andre Roberts, Richardson, etc.) were guys who they were speculating on and hoping they’d move from role player to starter/star. 

If we could sign Conklin for an affordable price to take a risk like that, that would be one thing. But he’s going to be the highest paid FA lineman, and that’s a steep price to pay for an experiment. Like I said, it’s not the worst idea I’ve ever heard, simply because there’s a fallback option where we cut Moses and move Conklin back to RT next year if he fails at LT. But free agency is a dangerous game, and this idea seems needlessly risky. 

I know it’s a terribly selfish thought process, but I really really don’t want them to postpone the free agency period for coronavirus concerns (or even worse, CBA issues). 

Courts are closed for two weeks here, I have no idea what I’m going to do to fill all this free time, and I’ve already been robbed of my favorite thing in the world (March Madness). I need the drama and outrage and shock value of the NFL tampering period to help get me through this!

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I know it’s a terribly selfish thought process, but I really really don’t want them to postpone the free agency period for coronavirus concerns (or even worse, CBA issues). 

Courts are closed for two weeks here, I have no idea what I’m going to do to fill all this free time, and I’ve already been robbed of my favorite thing in the world (March Madness). I need the drama and outrage and shock value of the NFL tampering period to help get me through this!

Trust me brother it’s def hard missing these things. But hopefully everything works out and the Skins come out in FA and the draft to give us a reason to feel differently as fans

• Like 2

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

I’m really not sold on Conklin as a LT. He had heavy feet as a college player, I was never sold on him as a LT — and that was before 4 years of NFL wear and tear, as well as a major knee injury. 

To me, it’s just a very Redskins thing to do to sign a guy in FA to play a new role/position that he’s never played and just hope it works out. The guy’s value comes from the fact that he’s been able to do *something* well, but the Redskins decide to bet big on him having the ability to do *something else* sight unseen. 

They've done it for years with the DL — signing guys like Hatcher and Cofield, for example, and expecting them to shift to 3-4 DE and NT respectively — and many of their worst acquisitions (Lloyd, Canidate, Randle El, McGee/McClain, Andre Roberts, Richardson, etc.) were guys who they were speculating on and hoping they’d move from role player to starter/star. 

If we could sign Conklin for an affordable price to take a risk like that, that would be one thing. But he’s going to be the highest paid FA lineman, and that’s a steep price to pay for an experiment. Like I said, it’s not the worst idea I’ve ever heard, simply because there’s a fallback option where we cut Moses and move Conklin back to RT next year if he fails at LT. But free agency is a dangerous game, and this idea seems needlessly risky. 

Agree.  Frankly, I prefer Penn.

But if we don't get a super expensive elite guy and we can get these guys reasonably, we should probably think about signing 2 guys.

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

The issue is the alternative. 

Here’s my problem:

1. Most don’t want to sign Trent long term

2. Most think trading Trent will net back a 2nd or more, I’m not sold on that.

3. People seem to be against signing Jack Conklin, but he’s the best OT available.

So what are we going to do if we don’t sign him?

Re-sign Penn? He’s not better than Conklin

Sign Beachum, ok, I’m down with that but it’s only a temporary fix.

The way I see it is that we can sign Conklin to play him at LT for a year, at worst he’s going to be average in pass protection and great in the run game - which I think we’ll be depending on a lot this year.

If Conklin struggles at LT then, we cut Moses next offseason and draft a LT prospect in the 2021 draft and move Conklin back to RT.

2 hours ago, offbyone said:

Agree.  Frankly, I prefer Penn.

But if we don't get a super expensive elite guy and we can get these guys reasonably, we should probably think about signing 2 guys.

Why? Penn is not as good of an OT anymore as Conklin currently is. Conklin is in his prime, Penn was lucky he was on a team last year which had a gaping hole at LT. If it wasn’t for Trent sitting out, Penn may have not played a down of football all last year.