2020 Free Agency Thread

HTTRDynasty

27 minutes ago, LoganF89 said:

Would signing Hooper have won us a Super Bowl during this season or next? I don’t think it would

ebron, eifert, fells, hollister, reed, walker, are all guys who can improve or roster, not to mention drafting a rookie to back them up and develop with Haskins. Getting a vet doesn’t block the path if we draft a young guy and he succeeds.

i get wanting Hooper, I really do, but it’s not the end of the world not getting him. Any of those guys above with a 3rd or 4th round rookie will work for me. We don’t know what Turners offense will look like, we don’t know how Haskins improvement is coming along. So why spend all that money on a tight end that’s name doesn’t end with Ertz, Kelce, or kittle?

I thought about Hollister too, but he’s a restricted FA. I don’t want Delanie Walker, he’s going to be 36 and he broke his ankle two years ago and missed the 2nd half of last year bc of an ankle injury.

I still say we’ll draft someone - like one of the ones Lavar wants anyways - and then that player will impress as a rookie and we’ll all be stoked for our future as we are w/ Terry & Steven Sims. 

Edited by turtle28

7 minutes ago, bigdog44 said:

I’m going to go ahead and say it. The lack of movement today makes me think a trade down from 2 is inevitable. 

Yeah, that will be the icing on the cake. Trade away from Chase Young after not improving your team at all in free agency lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LoganF89 said:

Would signing Hooper have won us a Super Bowl during this season or next? I don’t think it would

i get wanting Hooper, I really do, but it’s not the end of the world not getting him. Any of those guys above with a 3rd or 4th round rookie will work for me. We don’t know what Turners offense will look like, we don’t know how Haskins improvement is coming along. So why spend all that money on a tight end that’s name doesn’t end with Ertz, Kelce, or kittle?

All what money? He’s making less money than our soon-to-be backup DE. The fact that he’s highly paid for a TE doesn’t mean he’s highly paid in the sense that it would hamstring the team at all. 

And no, we wouldn’t win the Super Bowl with him this season or next. But you can’t just go out and fill every hole in one offseason once you realize you’re on the brink. You have to build a core over the course of years. Starting to sign young, talented players who will be with you for a few years to lock down positions is a wise thing to do when you’re 2-3 years away. 

And really, it’s beyond that. A big, smart, savvy TE is a HUGE safety blanket for a young QB. One of the major aspects you see with young developing QBs that helps them succeed even when they’re still learning and growing is a super reliable TE. Think about guys like Prescott, Wentz, Mahomes, Jimmy G — some of the more successful younger QBs in recent memory — and all of them had a high-quality TE to throw the ball to. That’s your best outlet when you need to get the ball out quickly. And we’ve got Jeremy Sprinkle. 

I’m sure they’ll sign some guy off your list. But that’s what it’ll be — some guy. A replacement level player who is not noticeably better than a dude they could sign after training camp cuts.

Eventually, if you start thinking no one is ever worth the money everyone else is choosing to pay them — you need to evaluate whether you’re accurately valuing the money. Hoarding all that cap space is worth nothing unless you turn it into players. 

I think another reason we didn’t sign anyone today is bc they want to get a trade for Trent done. I see us signing a vet LT the day he’s traded. I really think Daryl Williams is going to be our LT next year. Makes too much sense. 

hes coming off a down year after getting hurt last season, he’s versatile and can play all positions but center which Rivera has stressed versatility, he’s not old like the other vet LTs, and he should come at a reasonable price. 

i think something happens with Trent tomorrow tbh, whether it’s to the chargers who have the cap for an extension and may want to entice Brady to come, or the Texans who were said to have interest and they now have a 2nd round pick after that horrible trade of Hopkins.

i see us getting a vet #2 QB, a vet TE, Daryl Williams at LT, a cheaper corner, and safety.

• Like 2

This is what a tear down and rebuild looks like you get rid of rotten wood- Norman Trent, sign some inexpensive depth, use the draft to get your starters, spend wisely on free agent starters ( I expect we add a starting lineman ad a TE) trying to find the undervalued players who can play better than their contract within your system. 

hooper- not a very good fit because he’s a subpar blocker. Olsen was perfect but old, Eifert is a good fit but injury prone, the kid from ND  Purdue or Dayton good fits who block and catch. 

am I surprised they signed Bostic? Yes. But he was poorly coached by porky pig 🐷 last year, one of the worst coaches in league history 

bradberry was a guy I think they wanted but contract too rich.

im ok if we don’t “win” the offseason signing a lot of big names to overpriced contracts. Use Free agency to fill in depth, use the draft for starters, an occasional under valued starter from free agency and recognize its going to take a few years. The biggest improvement must come from our under coached and under prepared current players to improve over their last performance. It’s not splashy but effective for where the team is at currently 

• Like 1

Heard B Mitch say this on streaming his show- “nfl trades happen because GM’s have developed relationships with each other” It got me wondering with a new inexperienced GM, and all the stank associated with Allen- does that affect our ability to conduct trade business? 

Cooper back to Dallas and Diggs to Buffalo. 

I assume Robby Anderson will be out of our price range, but good chance we’ll be able to grab a Devin Funchess or a Breshad Perriman or a Jarius Wright for a “bargain“ price. They’re still out there, believe it or not. Expect them to give us a real “hard-nosed and hungry” veteran presence and “come in and compete” for a starting role. 

2 hours ago, LoganF89 said:

Well...geez. If THAT's the barometer, then we shouldn't sign any player in FA. Because this team is more than 2 seasons from even getting to a SB.

ebron, eifert, fells, hollister, reed, walker, are all guys who can improve or roster, not to mention drafting a rookie to back them up and develop with Haskins. Getting a vet doesn’t block the path if we draft a young guy and he succeeds.

Because Hooper is better than any of them (most of them have huge question marks or aren't as good as advertised). And this means that if we don't sign a TE in FA, we have to spend a higher pick than we would've (or even spend a pick) on a TE.

Because if you signed Hooper, you're not locked in on having to spend 3rd or 4th to bolster the TE corps. The point here is to allow yourself the flexibility that you agree that signing a TE would give us. But with Hooper it means we don't have to user a higher pick on a TE. It gives us more flexibility in the long run and only costs us a bit more $$ (which we have!!)

53 minutes ago, LoganF89 said:

I think another reason we didn’t sign anyone today is bc they want to get a trade for Trent done. I see us signing a vet LT the day he’s traded. I really think Daryl Williams is going to be our LT next year. Makes too much sense. 

hes coming off a down year after getting hurt last season, he’s versatile and can play all positions but center which Rivera has stressed versatility, he’s not old like the other vet LTs, and he should come at a reasonable price. 

i think something happens with Trent tomorrow tbh, whether it’s to the chargers who have the cap for an extension and may want to entice Brady to come, or the Texans who were said to have interest and they now have a 2nd round pick after that horrible trade of Hopkins.

i see us getting a vet #2 QB, a vet TE, Daryl Williams at LT, a cheaper corner, and safety.

If you're doing nothing in FA because all you can do is focus on trading Trent, you need to quit your job in the F.O.

We can sign other players at other positions than LT and still try to work a trade for Trent.