2020 Free Agency Thread

HTTRDynasty

12 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I don’t think it’s fully clear yet where he’ll be — but I’ve seen him play outside and I’ve seen him play in the slot, and he’s only worth money in one of those spots. Or at least he has been...he’s still very young, maybe he grows into a quality outside CB. But his physical traits just don’t work well for him out there.

That’s just my speculation though. The most specific “inside” info I’ve seen on the issue has been this tweet:

Well yeah, I think he’ll be in the slot most of the game. Usually, nickel corners don't start though and won't play much on 1st downs unless a team is in two-minute offense or they're down by two-plus scores in the 4th quarter.

I don't think they signed Fuller to not be one of their starting corners. So, he’ll start and play first downs and short yardage plays on the outside, it's usually not that many plays a game, like 15-20 plays on the outside, the rest in the slot.

42 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I’m interested by the idea that he disappears a lot (compared to other top receivers). At first semi-deep glance, it does seem that’s true. But I’d like to look into it a little deeper still. How would you define “disappearing,” in terms of yards or receptions in a game? Looking to put together a comparison between Cooper and the rest of the top 10-15 WRs, in terms of percentage of “disappearing” games.

Not sure what the stats are, but it's enough for me that he was benched for performance on the biggest play, in the biggest game of his team's season, in a year his HC was coaching for his job.

I haven't watched a lot of his games, but I've heard fans of the Raiders and Cowboys bemoan his disappearances in big games enough times to believe it's a legitimate issue.

26 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Not sure what the stats are, but it's enough for me that he was benched for performance on the biggest play, in the biggest game of his team's season, in a year his HC was coaching for his job.

I haven't watched a lot of his games, but I've heard fans of the Raiders and Cowboys bemoan his disappearances in big games enough times to believe it's a legitimate issue.

I don’t know if you remember but Coop was also nursing several injuries most of the year and in Nov he suffered a knee injury which limited him when a Bills DB hit him in the knee with his helmet. 

And fans are crazy sometimes, many just look at stats and not advanced stats like targets or actually pay attention to how much the QB is throwing to the WRs. If Dak was afraid to throw at Jalen Ramsey or Garrett’s game plan was to not test Ramsey then that’s another reason why Cooper only caught one pass in week 15 for example.

3 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I don’t know if you remember but Coop was also nursing several injuries most of the year and in Nov he suffered a knee injury which limited him when a Bills DB hit him in the knee with his helmet. 

And fans are crazy sometimes, many just look at stats and not advanced stats like targets or actually pay attention to how much the QB is throwing to the WRs. If Dak was afraid to throw at Jalen Ramsey or Garrett’s game plan was to not test Ramsey then that’s another reason why Cooper only caught one pass in week 15 for example.

I know about the injuries, but nearly every player is nursing injuries towards the end of the year.  It's a brutal sport.  And Garrett specifically said he benched Cooper for performance, not injury.

11 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I know about the injuries, but nearly every player is nursing injuries towards the end of the year.  It's a brutal sport.  And Garrett specifically said he benched Cooper for performance, not injury.

Yeah they are all nursing injuries but not all took a helmet to the knee and played the last month of the season with a bruised knee or worse. And, I don’t believe any coach at the podium. They never give the entire truth. 

Edited by turtle28

Not really FAs (yet), but a couple of retreads we could bring in that could make the team...

The Athletic's Aaron Reiss believes Kenny Stills is the likely "odd man out" among Texans wideouts.

The Texans signed Randall Cobb and traded the No. 57 overall pick in this year's draft for Brandin Cooks, joining them with Will Fuller to be Houston's new three-wide set following the trade of DeAndre Hopkins.  Stills is entering the final year of his contract with a $7 million cap number, all of which can be cleared with a release or trade.  Houston likely would have been better off just not signing Cobb and keeping Stills, but they're here now.  Trading Stills would likely only net a late-rounder.  He turns 28 next week.

The Athletic's Aaron Reiss pegs Texans third-year WR Keke Coutee as a "candidate to land elsewhere" this offseason.

Coutee has largely fallen out of favor under coach Bill O'Brien.  The former fourth-rounder has missed time with soft-tissue injuries and was healthy-scratched at times down the stretch last season.  Houston then went out and signed Randall Cobb to take over slot duties, essentially eliminating Coutee from the lineup.  At 5'11/180, that's where Coutee lines up.  Coutee has flashed at times in the NFL, but he needs a change of scenery.  He could likely be had for a conditional late-round pick.

27 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I'd probably wait for both to be cut, but def to be considered, especially Stills for a deep ball guy.

True, the issue is that given our new coaching staff, young QB and young OC situation we’d probably have to trade for a guy like Stills if we wanted him. A guy like him can join a playoff contender or better team in FA.

Edited by turtle28

Just now, turtle28 said:

True, the issue is that given our new coaching, young QB and young OC situation we’d probably have to trade for a guy like Stills if we wanted him. A guy like him can join a playoff contender or better team in FA.

Hey, that's fair. It might have to be the waiver wire process. 

• Like 1