2020 Free Agency Thread

HTTRDynasty

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

We have a ton of cap space that we’re doing absolutely nothing with. We aren’t signing Scherff or working out a deal with Jonathan Allen. It’s a one year deal that wouldn’t even affect next seasons cap number. It’s silly to not at least consider it. He’s a great run stopper. 

The front office is talking to Scherff about a LTD. As far as Allen goes, we are switching our defensive scheme. It makes sense to evaluate Allen in a 4-3 D, which he hasn’t played in since high school, before signing him to a LTD.

I can’t think of one FA at the moment that I’d want to give a big contract too. Maybe if a good vet is cut in the future, but I don’t see anyone out there now.

Like, we all want an upgrade at TE - that’s the thing we want the most - but outside of us trading for Howard or Njoku, who is the TE we are going to go out and sign who’s going to be a huge upgrade over what we have?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

I hope the Redskins have already been on the phone with Tashaun Gibson's agent.

If we wanted Tashaun Gipson or before him Damarious Randall, we would have signed them over Sean Davis a month ago. We signed Sean Davis. I don’t see it happening. Gipson will probably end up back with Houston or with another playoff team or team that’s projected to be a playoff contender, not us.

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

We have a ton of cap space that we’re doing absolutely nothing with. We aren’t signing Scherff or working out a deal with Jonathan Allen. It’s a one year deal that wouldn’t even affect next seasons cap number. It’s silly to not at least consider it. He’s a great run stopper. 

The remarkable thing is that working out deals for these two would almost certainly result in creating even more cap space for this season. Scherff is carrying that whopping $15M franchise tag number this year, so even with a moderate increase in Allen’s number this year (from $3.7M), they’d end up creating more space on the 2020 cap. 

This is why it really served no one’s purposes but Dan Snyder’s pocketbook for them to basically sit out the high-end portion of FA. They have more cap space than they’re ever going to use over the next couple seasons, especially once they roll over this ridiculous $35M+ of untapped cap space from this year. They’ll easily be approaching $120-130M in cap space next year with the rollover and the impending Smith release — what are they going to do, buy up every FA on the landscape in one fell swoop?

They should have spent some actual money this offseason, to smooth out the FA spending and avoid putting themselves in a position where Haskins/McLaurin/Guice/Gibson and this DL are ready to start opening the window next offseason, and they still have 8 gaping holes to fill around them.

If they are serious about Ron being here for 5 years and such this being year 1 of his plan..it makes sense to not use the cap space just for the sake of using it.

I do wish we were more active in FA, but at this point it wouldn't make sense to just use the space.

They made an announcement that all players on 1 year deals will be evaluated as the year goes on how they fit the team and how they mesh with the staff. It is good for the team to not get bogged down in an ineffective player and good for the players who may want to seek Free Agency on the open market/get away from this staff.

Edited by RaykwonDaChef
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

If we wanted Tashaun Gipson or before him Damarious Randall, we would have signed them over Sean Davis a month ago. We signed Sean Davis. I don’t see it happening. Gipson will probably end up back with Houston or with another playoff team or team that’s projected to be a playoff contender, not us.

Gipson just got cut. We didn;t have that option.

56 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

I just alerted him because suggestions for fan engagement improvement are always welcome. Most will not be implemented, but there's no reason not to let the big guy know what we want to see on the forum

Super - I do think that would be cool ! Thanks 

15 minutes ago, RaykwonDaChef said:

If they are serious about Ron being here for 5 years and such this being year 1 of his plan..it makes sense to not use the cap space just for the sake of using it.

I do wish we were more active in FA, but at this point it wouldn't make sense to just use the space.

They made an announcement that all players on 1 year deals will be evaluated as the year goes on how they fit the team and how they mesh with the staff. It is good for the team to not get bogged down in an ineffective player and good for the players who may want to seek Free Agency on the open market/get away from this staff.

Exactly! We should’ve just sign guys to sign guys. We have a young Team that Ron & Kyle want to evaluate and develop - for at least this season - and then decide what they want to do with the team after this season as far as new FA signings next year and if they want a lot of their young players replaced or upgraded.

I don’t know why people won’t accept that as being the plan, but it’s been obvious for two months that that’s the plan. We’re going to have to live with it. They aren’t just going to sign vets out there bc they’re out there. They want to evaluate and play the guys they have.

16 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Gipson just got cut. We didn;t have that option.

Ohh ok! I got ya, my bad. I still don’t think we sign him now. I like going younger anyways, Sean Davis fits the mold more of what they want to do with the team for at least this year.

I wonder where Gipson will end up though. There are several playoff teams or teams that hope to be playoff that could use him. 

5 minutes ago, RaykwonDaChef said:

But if we’re doing this on some sort of a 5-year plan, we may as well start making moves to allow us to swap out Haskins for a 2021 or 2022 QB. 

The greatest competitive advantage in the sport is the rookie QB contract. If you have a capable QB on a comparatively tiny deal, you have the flexibility to build a much stronger roster around him. We’ve already burnt one of Haskins’s cheap seasons on a terrible roster. We’re going to burn next year on a non-competitive roster as well. By the time Rivera has settled in, done all his “evaluating,” and we’re looking to actually field a decent football team, half of that window will already be gone and we’ll be getting close to the point of having to decide whether to exercise his $20M+ 5th year option. 

The NFL is not the NBA or MLB. There doesn’t have to be a “process,” not to the extent that we’ve come to expect in those sports. You don’t have to take forever to build a competitive roster. The Rams did it in literally one offseason. They didn’t sit around twiddling their thumbs and “evaluating” everything before making any moves — they moved aggressively to make their team better around their 2nd-year QB. The Broncos have done the same thing to a large extent this offseason. They’re showing conviction in their young QB and providing him a roster he can take to the top, if he’s able.

I’m not suggesting that we should have been trying to rebuild Rome in a day. Our roster is more delapidated than many. But there are moves we could have made to fill some of the numerous long-term black holes on the roster, in order to set ourselves up to be able take the big step next offseason. As it stands now, our options are either (a) fill all 8+ gaping holes in the 2021 offseason or (b) wait until the last year of Haskins’s rookie deal to even be able to hope to field a reasonably “complete” team around him. 

In sum, it’s sort of the same issue we talked about with Gruden/Haskins, except in reverse. The timetables don’t quite match up. If Rivera insists on doing this in a slow, steady, meticulous fashion, then he’s willingly burning up the greatest roster advantage we’ll ever get with Haskins. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

But, why wouldn’t the team that was going to trade for Kerrigan just sign Clowney?

I would think the additional $6-8M in cap space would be the major deterrent to signing Clowney. Probably more than that, given that if you traded for Kerrigan, you’d likely restructure/extend him and get the 2020 cap number down well below the $11.7M mark that’s it at currently. For teams that are pressed for cap space, that’s a huge difference. 

26 minutes ago, e16bball said:

The remarkable thing is that working out deals for these two would almost certainly result in creating even more cap space for this season. Scherff is carrying that whopping $15M franchise tag number this year, so even with a moderate increase in Allen’s number this year (from $3.7M), they’d end up creating more space on the 2020 cap. 

This is why it really served no one’s purposes but Dan Snyder’s pocketbook for them to basically sit out the high-end portion of FA. They have more cap space than they’re ever going to use over the next couple seasons, especially once they roll over this ridiculous $35M+ of untapped cap space from this year. They’ll easily be approaching $120-130M in cap space next year with the rollover and the impending Smith release — what are they going to do, buy up every FA on the landscape in one fell swoop?

They should have spent some actual money this offseason, to smooth out the FA spending and avoid putting themselves in a position where Haskins/McLaurin/Guice/Gibson and this DL are ready to start opening the window next offseason, and they still have 8 gaping holes to fill around them.

Scherff is one thing, and they are negotiating with his team about a long term deal.

There’s no reason to do a LTD with Jon Allen when it’s Rivera’s first year in DC and we are switching our entire defensive scheme. Jon Allen hasn’t played in a 4-3 D since high school. They should evaluate him in their defensive scheme and also decide if they even want to retain him after this season before giving him a LTD. They may decide that they want to trade him after this year and retain Ioannidis and Payne.

No need to get ahead of themselves.

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

Scherff is one thing, and they are negotiating with his team about a long term deal.

There’s no reason to do a LTD with Jon Allen when it’s Rivera’s first year in DC and we are switching our entire defensive scheme. Jon Allen hasn’t played in a 4-3 D since high school. They should evaluate him in their defensive scheme and also decide if they even want to retain him after this season before giving him a LTD. They may decide that they want to trade him after this year and retain Ioannidis and Payne.

No need to get ahead of themselves.

If Rivera can't figure out how to use a talent like Allen I think we already have bigger problems on our hands.

4 minutes ago, e16bball said:

The Rams did it in literally one offseason.

It was a great post e. I want to harp on one thing, with this tidbit. Not just the Rams. There is a team every year that seems to do this. 2013 Chiefs, 2012 Redskins, 2008 Dolphins, 2019 Packers, last years 9ers, Panthers, etc.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

Exactly! We should’ve just sign guys to sign guys. We have a young Team that Ron & Kyle want to evaluate and develop - for at least this season - and then decide what they want to do with the team after this season as far as new FA signings next year and if they want a lot of their young players replaced or upgraded.

I don’t know why people won’t accept that as being the plan, but it’s been obvious for two months that that’s the plan. We’re going to have to live with it. They aren’t just going to sign vets out there bc they’re out there. They want to evaluate and play the guys they have.

That's fine and understandable but when that's the plan and the TEAM has a LOSING RECORD no 1 PLAYER can be blamed for that. 

Your gonna have to evaluate was it a good idea not to sign Hooper and instead get Moss as a UDFA? How trading for Sweat last year made you miss out on adding Young and Delpit this year. They will have to evualte their decisions on certain things as well. Take Responsibility for somethings they might could've done better. 

I just want Coache's, Player's, and Smith held responsible for the things they control.