News and Notes: Offseason Edition

Matts4313

3 minutes ago, HDsportsfan said:

Taco got released from Miami?

And Dallas. Apparently he was the only 1st rounder from 2017 to be released by the team that drafted him. He has also been released by Miami since then. So he definitely has more releases than any other 2017 first rounder

Edited by DaBoys

1 minute ago, DaBoys said:

And Dallas. Apparently he was the only 1st rounder from 2017 to be released by the team that drafted him. He has also been released by Miami since then. So he definitely has more releases than any other 2017 first rounder

Thx...obviously I knew we released him, didn't realize Miami did. I tend to stay in my little Dallas world here. I count on you guys to post the tweets with other league news. I must have just missed this one.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, D82 said:

And this is considering that his receivers led the league in drops...

Also considering that he missed a lot of open receivers. His stats could have been higher. Context also needs to be analyzed further though. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, buddy_z34 said:

Also considering that he missed a lot of open receivers. His stats could have been higher. Context also needs to be analyzed further though. 

Seriously I do not understand your comments on Dak. He had a 65% completion rate while his WRs led the NFL in drops. To  put that in perspective - Mahomes and Jackson (the last 2 nfl mvps) were at 66%. And on top of all that, PFF adjusted catch % had Dak as top 5 in the NFL (balls that hit WRs hands). While he was also a top 5 deep ball thrower. 

Is the expectation that he is going to throw a perfect pass on every single throw? Because thats not realistic. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Seriously I do not understand your comments on Dak. He had a 65% completion rate while his WRs led the NFL in drops. To  put that in perspective - Mahomes and Jackson (the last 2 nfl mvps) were at 66%. And on top of all that, PFF adjusted catch % had Dak as top 5 in the NFL (balls that hit WRs hands). While he was also a top 5 deep ball thrower. 

Is the expectation that he is going to throw a perfect pass on every single throw? Because thats not realistic. 

Bruh I just gave Dak a compliment. I said his numbers could have been higher if he had hit on some deep balls to Gallup and Coop and Cobb. Never did I say he had to hit on every throw. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, buddy_z34 said:

Bruh I just gave Dak a compliment. I said his numbers could have been higher if he had hit on some deep balls to Gallup and Coop and Cobb. Never did I say he had to hit on every throw. 

I like Dak. I just think the guy is being selfish just as I thought the same of Zeke when he held out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, buddy_z34 said:

I like Dak. I just think the guy is being selfish just as I thought the same of Zeke when he held out. 

There's nothing wrong with a player getting market value in a profession where one play can end not just your career but your quality of life. 

28 minutes ago, D82 said:

There's nothing wrong with a player getting market value in a profession where one play can end not just your career but your quality of life. 

There is when you want your team to win a SB and your QB has rarely shown the ability to deliver in the closing minutes of a postseason game. 

So if Dak and Zeke and Amari want to get paid like heroes and trend setters, etc then they need to deliver as such. Other the can piss off and collect their overpaid salaries someplace else. 

Edited by Calvert28
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, buddy_z34 said:

And that is.my specialty now that I can sit upright and pop on the google cast. Dont mind if I do ;)

Dak padded stats at ends of games where loss was imminent, throwing a decent chunk of his 4th quarter stats against soft, deep zone coverage designed to prevent fast scores and allow time consuming short throw drives. So much of that extra yardage in context does.dimimish its value

The drops cost Dak big plays however. One could argue the lost yardage of the drops is countered by the padding of late game losses allowing him to drive a field late for yards. So perhaps these do equate, at least in part, to being somewhat balanced.

Missing open targets is still common in today's NFL. The days of the pure pocket passer have been numbered for a while and you rarely see that step and drive pass that puts the ball on the target in contested areas of the field with few misses anymore. Mahomes for all his greatness still misses those throws at times. From all I've watched the last few days I do not see Dak missing any more than I see from most of the "modern" quarterbacks. We just, as fans, have a tendency to magnify our teams and our players hits and misses, faults and great moments, problems and perfections.

Overall from what I see, Dak still had a great year. Playcalling often favored simple throws for yards after reception, but that is to be expected in today's nfl and with Zeke and Cooper both on the field. A heavier emphasis on passing early in games, as evidenced by the winning outings, was likely an attempt to let Zeke grind clock and close games later on once the pass put us ahead. Similar to what Garrett had when Romo would score twice with Owen's and then let Barber shut the game out with violent, fresh legged running. A recipe that could be successful only if your defense can get you some turn overs or at the very least prevent a score before your offense gets back out there. If you are exchanging scores, it puts your QB in a tight position where he has to outduel opposing offenses game after game. This often leads to high stats, but unless you have one of those all time greats (which Dak may or may not be, time will tell, I won't say one he is or isnt quite yet) then expecting him.to outduel other offenses every single game is a great way to fall into mediocrity and miss playoffs, no matter what the offensive stat lines read.

It isn't all on Dak, either way. I see a lot that balances out his cons and a lot to balance out the pros. His stats were impressive but there's a lot of.context to them that, depending on how you choose to view it, could diminish them or uphold them. I think the truth is somewhrre more in the middle ground. Which is where it belongs when you have a team that is top heavy and light at the bottom of the roster.

26 minutes ago, Dallas94Ware said:

Dak padded stats at ends of games where loss was imminent, throwing a decent chunk of his 4th quarter stats against soft, deep zone coverage designed to prevent fast scores and allow time consuming short throw drives. So much of that extra yardage in context does.dimimish its value

Just so you are aware, Daks best 2 quarters were the 2nd and 3rd. Thats where most of his yards and TDs came from. Not really garbage time. 

42 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Just so you are aware, Daks best 2 quarters were the 2nd and 3rd. Thats where most of his yards and TDs came from. Not really garbage time. 

I didnt say his best quarter was the 4th. But those extra yards in the 4th extra cover 4 with an open field underneath allowed him much easier passing yards in the 4th. If it were a tighter contested game, he would not have found those final drives being much more difficult. Even if it was only 50 or 60 yards, even 40, those equated over 6 of 8 losses are still enough yards to push him up the list of passing yard leaders

But again, this is also balanced by the drops. Like I said, I think the truth is more in the middle ground.

Defenses played cover 4 with the lead because a prior weakness to Daks game was driving the field with his arm when the clock was his enemy. He has overcome that, at least.

Edited by Dallas94Ware
  • Like 1