Quinton Dunbar no OTA's

Legend_Kenny4ever

52 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Cutting him is not an option. Trade, okay. Keep and let walk for a comp pick, okay. But you don’t just cut young, quality players with legitimate value and team-friendly contracts. 

Much like a wise (dread) pirate once said about perfect breasts, there is a shortage of capable CBs in the world. There are loads of competitive teams out there who would have interest in a guy like Dunbar — interest ranging from “could use” (DEN, NYJ, ATL, NO, CAR, ARI) to “looking to win the SB and may desperately need CB(s)” (HOU, MIN, KC).

Someone will give them something of value for him if they decide to move him. I would keep him, let the staff evaluate him, see if he can stay healthy, and then look to extend him during the year if all goes well. But if he’s going to be a problem and you have to move him, you have to at least get something for him. 

Exactly.  Plus, it's looking like the 2021 FA class will be pretty weak, so I have no problem playing the comp pick game that year if Dunbar doesn't want to sign an extension.  We could possibly net two 3rd round comp picks in 2022 with Dunbar and Scherff both leaving.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Exactly.  Plus, it's looking like the 2021 FA class will be pretty weak, so I have no problem playing the comp pick game that year if Dunbar doesn't want to sign an extension.  We could possibly net two 3rd round comp picks in 2022 with Dunbar and Scherff both leaving.

I do like the forward thinking before vastly overpaying. But I think we’re locking Schreff up just my opinion.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

I do like the forward thinking before vastly overpaying. But I think we’re locking Schreff up just my opinion.

If we can lock Scherff up long term it will make his cap hit cheaper for next year for sure. I just hope that if we lock him up he stays more healthy in the future then he did in 2018 & 19. A lot of his drop off in play those seasons can be tied to his injuries in each of those seasons.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

If we can lock Scherff up long term it will make his cap hit cheaper for next year for sure. I just hope that if we lock him up he stays more healthy in the future then he did in 2018 & 19. A lot of his drop off in play those seasons can be tied to his injuries in each of those seasons.

I agree. Hopefully what we’re being told about the staff helps us on the injury front. I know they happen but we have to have far less critical injuries it’s gotten out of hand

3 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

I agree. Hopefully what we’re being told about the staff helps us on the injury front. I know they happen but we have to have far less critical injuries it’s gotten out of hand

I hope so, but I’m still of the belief that a lot of it has to do with the players we are drafting a signing in FA. We’ve been taking risks in the draft and FA for several years on a lot of injured players and then we wonder why they keep getting injured for us, I mean really?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Must have heard about Trufant. But Dunny needs to stop watching ESPN and taking things personally it’s a business. But we will see I like Trufant and if it ends a Dunbar situation before it turns into a Trent let’s give Trufant a real offer and see what we can get for Dunbar

Edited by ripsean21
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Sit his butt (I have a different word here in person) down and tell him to report and play or he gets nothing. Then try to trade him if we can. Otherwise, he's cheap and I have zero problem telling him to sit next to Trent at home.

1 minute ago, Thaiphoon said:

Sit his butt (I have a different word here in person) down and tell him to report and play or he gets nothing. Then try to trade him if we can. Otherwise, he's cheap and I have zero problem telling him to sit next to Trent at home.

I think he and Trent are going to be in the positions of they play this year or they get nothing. I don't see either being traded unless the deal blows the team away.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I think he and Trent are going to be in the positions of they play this year or they get nothing. I don't see either being traded unless the deal blows the team away.

I agree with you here. In Trent's case, its his outrageous contract demands keeping the trade from happening. In Dunny's case, it's the fact that he can't stay healthy

I mean, look, I get blaming the player and being upset with the way they’re acting but this team has become cheap to the point where it’s almost unbelievable. Every free agent is out of their budget, all of our players walk when their deals are up or we force them to stay under the franchise tag and I really think it’s getting ridiculous.
The Eagles probably would’ve paid Dunbar a year ago, Scherff would’ve had a new deal and the Trent debacle never would’ve happened. I know we’re under new rule but this is a horribly run franchise. I can only imagine the amount of money Ioannidis left on the table signing early? If you want actual good free agents to come here then they have to knock this crap off. 

36 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I mean, look, I get blaming the player and being upset with the way they’re acting but this team has become cheap to the point where it’s almost unbelievable. Every free agent is out of their budget, all of our players walk when their deals are up or we force them to stay under the franchise tag and I really think it’s getting ridiculous.
The Eagles probably would’ve paid Dunbar a year ago, Scherff would’ve had a new deal and the Trent debacle never would’ve happened. I know we’re under new rule but this is a horribly run franchise. I can only imagine the amount of money Ioannidis left on the table signing early? If you want actual good free agents to come here then they have to knock this crap off. 

The same eagles who let guys like Jay Ajayi & LeGarrett Blount go after they help them win a super bowl and trade for Jordan Howard?

The Eagles let a lot of players walk and replace them with draft picks & lately they've been signing free agents or trading for players.

There's no way the Eagles or any team would pay a corner triple what he current makes when that player hasn't proven he come close to playing 16 games as a starter.

I love Dunny! I'm so proud of him for turning himself into a good starting corner from being a college WR but come on dude. It's such a waste of cap space to give Dunny a huge deal at this point.

And yes they aren't signing anyone else to huge deals but Ron Rivera just got here! He's said time and time again that he needs to evaluate everything. I think that includes the current roster & it probably meant not overpaying on guys in free agency until he knew what he had in house first. It's a total evaluation year.

Edited by turtle28

17 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

The same eagles who let guys like Jay Ajayi & LeGarrett Blount go after they help them win a super bowl and trade for Jordan Howard?

The Eagles let a lot of players walk and replace them with draft picks & lately they've been signing free agents or trading for players.

There's no way the Eagles or any team would pay a corner triple what he current makes when that player hasn't proven he come close to playing 16 games as a starter.

I love Dunny! I'm so proud of him for turning himself into a good starting corner from being a college WR but come on dude. It's such a waste of cap space to give Dunny a huge deal at this point.

And yes they aren't signing anyone else to huge deals but Ron Rivera just got here! He's said time and time again that he needs to evaluate everything. I think that includes the current roster & it probably meant not overpaying on guys in free agency until he knew what he had in house first. It's a total evaluation year.

My god man. You really think Jay Ajayi and Blount are comparable to the amount of players the Redskins have simply let walk away? When the Eagles let their franchise QB walk for a 3rd round compensation pick let me know....

WASTE OF CAP SPACE!? Are you friggin kidding me? That terrible guard we signed from the Falcons is a waste of cap space. This McKissick RB is a waste of cap space. We’ve spent this whole free agency period wasting cap space on scrubs. Dunbar being paid would not be a waste of cap space. This whole argument is absurd. 

Edited by lavar703

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

Look. I'm with you on all of this...right up to the point of paying Dunbar #1 CB money. If I'm doing that, I'm doing it for a guy who has shown he can stay healthy for an entire season. He was our "best corner" last year on a horrible defense. I'll pay him. But I'm NOT paying him what he's asking. I'm just not. And if he continues to push it with this crap, he gets nothing. 

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

My god man. You really think Jay Ajayi and Blount are comparable to the amount of players the Redskins have simply let walk away? When the Eagles let their franchise QB walk for a 3rd round compensation pick let me know....

WASTE OF CAP SPACE!? Are you friggin kidding me? That terrible guard we signed from the Falcons is a waste of cap space. This McKissick RB is a waste of cap space. We’ve spent this whole free agency period wasting cap space on scrubs. Dunbar being paid would not be a waste of cap space. This whole argument is absurd. 

I tend to agree.  Dunbar is a big time commodity and one we actually have a need for.  I don't understand really understand why we didn't aggressively lock him up.  He is a cover outside corner, something that fits the JDR system. 

But it is disappointing he keeps pouring gasoline on the fire.  He isn't helping his cause.  I would prefer we have  a happy camper, it isn't like we are cap poor.  I would have at least made him a reasonable offer like 8M/year 3 years.  And like you say we are signing average players with money that could secure a real piece.  At this point though, I don't know if this gets resolved.  We should trade him if we can, but they better have a back up plan.