Philip Rivers, Chargers Agree to Part Ways

nevetslc

51 minutes ago, viper952 said:

LMAO no way

I'm guessing Boltstrikes never actually saw Fouts play, his career was from 1973-1987
You'd have to have been born by about 1963 to offer any kind of first-hand insight on Dan Fouts and what he did to put the Chargers on the NFL map.

Fouts led NFL in passing yards 4 straight years from 1979 to 1982 and was the first player in history to throw for 4,000 yards in three consecutive seasons.
In today's game, those numbers are not a big deal - but back in those days it was pretty special. When Marino threw for over 5000 yards in '84, it was Fouts' 4800 yd record he beat. And Fouts was special enough to win league MVP, All Pro and All- Decade awards and a HOF enshrinement.
Rivers is not "vastly" superior... they're both very talented QBs with lengthy resumes...and unfortunately no titles to hang their hats on

The only place Rivers has a strong lean is in the delivery room

Edited by Shanedorf
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

I'm guessing he never actually saw Fouts play, his career was from 1973-1987
You'd have to have been born by about 1963 to offer any kind of first-hand insight on Dan Fouts and what he did to put the Chargers on the NFL map.

Fouts led NFL in passing yards 4 straight years from 1979 to 1982 and was the first player in history to throw for 4,000 yards in three consecutive seasons.
In today's game, those numbers are not a big deal - but back in those days it was pretty special. When Marino threw for over 5000 yards in '84, it was Fouts' 4800 yd record he beat. And Fouts was special enough to win league MVP, All Pro and All- Decade awards and a HOF enshrinement.
Rivers is not "vastly" superior... they're both very talented QBs with lengthy resumes...and unfortunately no titles to hang their hats on

EDIT: I misread your response. Sorry.

Edited by PapaShogun

1 minute ago, PapaShogun said:

You quoted the wrong person.

I was telling viper he was correct and that Boltstrikes never actually saw Fouts play.
If I was talking to Viper, I'd have said "YOU" never saw Fouts play instead of "he" never saw Fouts
I'll fix it so its easier to follow

23 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

I was telling viper he was correct and that Boltstrikes never actually saw Fouts play.
If I was talking to Viper, I'd have said "YOU" never saw Fouts play instead of "he" never saw Fouts
I'll fix it so its easier to follow

Yeah I reread your post and skimmed over the initial sentence too quickly. 

2 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

I'm guessing Boltstrikes never actually saw Fouts play, his career was from 1973-1987

Saw Fouts play. Humphries, Friesz, McMahon, Billy Joe Tolliver who signed a cocktail napkin for me in a bar, Vlassic, Malone, etc. Rivers didn’t Ever have three quality receiving targets like Fouts or a coach that never saw a passing play he didn’t like. Coryell is light years ahead of any of the coaches Rivers ever had, especially for padding stats. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tom cody said:

End of era for sure with the Chargers. Guy had a good run with them. To bad he never won a Super Bowl with them. 

Stan Humphries is still the only QB to lead us to the Super Bowl. Shows how much football is a team sport. At least for us cursed SD fans.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2020 at 12:15 PM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

And to think that despite ALL the talent that was on that team for those 16 years, the best they ever did was an AFC Championship appearance ONE TIME.

He deserved better.

Or maybe he was never that good?

I've never watched Philip Rivers play and thought "man that's an elite QB".  He was always just okay to me.  The Chargers success in the mid-2000s was more about the talent across the roster than Philip Rivers being a great QB.  In my opinion he's not a Hall of Famer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VanS said:

Or maybe he was never that good?

I've never watched Philip Rivers play and thought "man that's an elite QB".  He was always just okay to me.  The Chargers success in the mid-2000s was more about the talent across the roster than Philip Rivers being a great QB.  In my opinion he's not a Hall of Famer.

Or maybe you can't actually judge a QB. Better yet look into his eyes VanS and you will see that he was that good.

Edited by Xenos

3 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

That's dumb, it's not Marty's fault the easiest game sealing INT ever didn't matter.

It was a culmination of things. Not just McCrees dumb decision. And it was 4th down when he intercepted that ball.

Edited by Xenos

Seeing the reactions from a lot of his former teammates on twitter shows how guys really feel about him within the locker room. Quentin Jammer even called out them not getting a real offensive line for years and how he wished he could have done more himself. 

I really hope he can get another chance, with a non-dysfunctional team, and gets his ring. 

• Like 2