Jump to content
HTTRDynasty

Rivera and Williams Have Connected

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Skins212689 said:

Thanks. He would've been a Brown had it been up to me. Don't really like the idea of offering a extension but if that's what it takes to get Williams back, I could live with something like this.

I agree with you (bolded). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BTW - I just read a story that indicates (per a source close to Trent - and we know how reliable these sources can be), that Trent is wanting to return, due to Rivera.

Only thing now separating Trent and the Redskins is guaranteed $.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

BTW - I just read a story that indicates (per a source close to Trent - and we know how reliable these sources can be), that Trent is wanting to return, due to Rivera.

Only thing now separating Trent and the Redskins is guaranteed $.

I know you didn't think he would return without Guaranteed money. Had Bruce traded him last year, this wouldn't be the Skin's problem anymore. 

He basically got his checks garnished last year and it's wrong for him to make sure that definitely doesn't happen when he returns? Again had they just tradee him this wouldn't be a Rivera or Skins issue. Blame Bruce, not Trent. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

I know you didn't think he would return without Guaranteed money.

Oh I knew he wouldn't return without the guaranteed money. That's what this whole contract dispute was all about.

Quote

Had Bruce traded him last year, this wouldn't be the Skin's problem anymore. 

I agree that Trent still being a problem for us is because we failed to trade him.

Quote

He basically got his checks garnished last year and it's wrong for him to make sure that definitely doesn't happen when he returns?

They were garnished because he never showed up to work. He shows up to work this year, he gets his game checks. That simple.

Quote

Again had they just tradee him this wouldn't be a Rivera or Skins issue. Blame Bruce, not Trent.

Correct. Had we traded him, he would be someone else's headache. My post was merely relaying the news that they are now only more guaranteed $$ away from him returning (*)

 

(*) just like last year - with or without Bruce leaving. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you were going to trade Trent last off-season was the time to do so. The Browns and Patriots both would've parted with high picks for him. Trading him now makes absolutely no sense and only backs you into a corner with one of the hardest to fill positions in the league. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

If you were going to trade Trent last off-season was the time to do so. The Browns and Patriots both would've parted with high picks for him. Trading him now makes absolutely no sense and only backs you into a corner with one of the hardest to fill positions in the league. 

If we want to trade TW, there still might be a chance with the Browns since their starting LT was just busted with a 157 lbs of marijuana with intent to sell. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DJ Humphries new contract averages about 15M/year for 3 year with only the first year fully guaranteed.   The second year is is guaranteed if he gets injured.  Third year he can be cut with almost no dead money.

Despite Humphries being tremendously younger, this is likely the best possible deal we are gonna get for Trent.   

I would use this as a measuring stick to evaluate options.  Are you guys good with this deal?  Too much?  Would you be ok if he made more?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, lavar703 said:

If you were going to trade Trent last off-season was the time to do so. The Browns and Patriots both would've parted with high picks for him. Trading him now makes absolutely no sense and only backs you into a corner with one of the hardest to fill positions in the league. 

Correct. We could've gotten a 1st for him. Imagine two firsts in this draft.

That being said if someone offers us a 2nd rounder, I'm taking it.

Absent that type of value for a trade, (and understanding I don't want him back but am looking at it as the Redskins should if they do want him back) we should either simply turn his salary into a signing bonus and then extend two years with reasonable salaries (with bonuses for playing all 16 games in each season). 

OR...

You simply don't negotiate and either let him sit out yet another season (he won't) or he plays and then you pocket the comp pick when he signs elsewhere.

The former is better for the team. The latter is not as preferable but it does establish that the team won't be held hostage by players who pocket all the guaranteed $ in a 5 year contract early in the contract (because that's when the team could afford to put it on the books) and then holdout for more guaranteed $ for the same years (after they already were paid that money). His biggest gripe was that he doesn't have any guaranteed $ last year and this year. Except he was already paid that guaranteed $.

So...IF I'm the Redskins and I want him back, I'm trying to work out only a 2 year extension and only converting this year's salary into the signing bonus. That's what I'd do for a guy who hasn't given us 16 games in years and hasn't played a game (or even practiced against other players) since 2018.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Correct. We could've gotten a 1st for him. Imagine two firsts in this draft.

That being said if someone offers us a 2nd rounder, I'm taking it.

Absent that type of value for a trade, (and understanding I don't want him back but am looking at it as the Redskins should if they do want him back) we should either simply turn his salary into a signing bonus and then extend two years with reasonable salaries (with bonuses for playing all 16 games in each season). 

OR...

You simply don't negotiate and either let him sit out yet another season (he won't) or he plays and then you pocket the comp pick when he signs elsewhere.

The former is better for the team. The latter is not as preferable but it does establish that the team won't be held hostage by players who pocket all the guaranteed $ in a 5 year contract early in the contract (because that's when the team could afford to put it on the books) and then holdout for more guaranteed $ for the same years (after they already were paid that money). His biggest gripe was that he doesn't have any guaranteed $ last year and this year. Except he was already paid that guaranteed $.

So...IF I'm the Redskins and I want him back, I'm trying to work out only a 2 year extension and only converting this year's salary into the signing bonus. That's what I'd do for a guy who hasn't given us 16 games in years and hasn't played a game (or even practiced against other players) since 2018.

At this point, IMO, he chose to bail on the team for an entire year. I am absolutely looking to deal Trent for the maximum value. Hopefully a 2nd round pick, (maybe if we are lucky a first if we through in a late round pick). We have no reason to be loyal or reward a guy that chose to bail on him teammates for an entire season.

I appreciate everything Trent has done, but I'd rather roll with someone that wants to be here over someone that thinks its okay to bail on his team. Resign Donald Penn and draft a young guy to groom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

If we want to trade TW, there still might be a chance with the Browns since their starting LT was just busted with a 157 lbs of marijuana with intent to sell. 

I would definitely try to trade Trent to the Browns.

They won't part with their #10 pick.

But if I'm the Skins, I try to trade Trent for their 2nd rounder & TE David Njoku.

I think they would take that.

It gives us a possible starting TE for now & a 2nd rounder to either replace Trent Williams with, or use to trade down for multiple picks.

If we did stay with the Browns 2nd Rd pick & drafted LT there?

We could be staring at OT Austin Jackson (USC) or Mekhi Becton (Louisville) on the board.

Who knows?

We might be able to trade down a little & still land of of them?

Much like when we landed D. Guice in the 2nd Rd.

Point is, by having 2nd Rd pick.

It would allow us to take Chase Young without even considering moving back.

And using our 2nd rounder, to menuever around the draft board to fill pressing needs without reaching on any particular player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, offbyone said:

DJ Humphries new contract averages about 15M/year for 3 year with only the first year fully guaranteed.   The second year is is guaranteed if he gets injured.  Third year he can be cut with almost no dead money.

Despite Humphries being tremendously younger, this is likely the best possible deal we are gonna get for Trent.   

I would use this as a measuring stick to evaluate options.  Are you guys good with this deal?  Too much?  Would you be ok if he made more?

I'm good with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

I would definitely try to trade Trent to the Browns.

They won't part with their #10 pick.

But if I'm the Skins, I try to trade Trent for their 2nd rounder & TE David Njoku.

I think they would take that.

It gives us a possible starting TE for now & a 2nd rounder to either replace Trent Williams with, or use to trade down for multiple picks.

If we did stay with the Browns 2nd Rd pick & drafted LT there?

We could be staring at OT Austin Jackson (USC) or Mekhi Becton (Louisville) on the board.

Who knows?

We might be able to trade down a little & still land of of them?

Much like when we landed D. Guice in the 2nd Rd.

Point is, by having 2nd Rd pick.

It would allow us to take Chase Young without even considering moving back.

And using our 2nd rounder, to menuever around the draft board to fill pressing needs without reaching on any particular player.

As much as I want Trent back and I think he’ll be back to protect Trent’s blindside, this is one of the few trades that I would strongly consider if offered by the Browns. That being said, I don't think the Browns  do this trade. The Browns offense was noticeably different last year and so was Baker w/o a TE like Njoku to throw to. I don't think the trade him and I’d be shocked if we got both a pro bowl caliber talent at TE and a high #2 pick for Trent at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×