Week 3 GDT - Los Angeles Rams @ San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

3 minutes ago, AustrianNiner said:

Looks like I missed the best game of the season FFS.

It would be awesome if you were wrong, but that was a pretty awesome game. I don't remember the last time I've felt this good after a loss. I loved our resolve and the fact that we are finally showing we can play offensively. I think this game was a huge step in the right direction for this team even though we didn't get the W. I'm really hoping this shows the players what they are capable of and they start producing consistently. My game ball goes to Garçon, he was hands down the best player for us tonight and sparked our near comeback.

7 minutes ago, John232 said:

Fair enough points. 

I think if their is one thing to care about from this game in regards to Hoyer, it's that he appears to finally be getting on the same page with some guys.  He was having issues with turning in the right direction come two weeks ago. Once he gets Taylor and Kittle going, I think we might see some consistent scoring. And by consistent I mean getting over 14 points a game, lol. 

Definitely. Shanahan is creative enough to make things happen in the passing game as long as Hoyer is competent. Our run game will be rock solid with Hyde/Breida. The defense will be up and down since we have a inconsistent pass rush with subpar CB play.

Aside from Buckner, not sure who else got a QB hit in the 2nd half. He got to Goff twice and was close another time while making three or four good plays in the run game. We need the other guys around him to step up. Solomon Thomas has started out slower than I thought he would. One problem is, he like the other two are better rushing the passer from the inside. That just can't happen if Armstead/Buckner are to be pushed inside on nickel downs.

Well that was entertaining. We were definitely robbed by that God-awful OPI.  But we did literally everything we could to lose that game and we managed to somehow be in a position to steal one so I take some solace in that fact. Offense finally showed life but I'm thoroughly disappointed in our defense tonight. I know it was a short week but our D-Line aside from Buckner got manhandled all night. Bowman looked awful. Armstrong looked awful. Ward still looks rusty and Robinson just isn't the cover CB I thought he was. But more important we couldn't generate ANY pass-rush all night. Goff was able to just sit back, order a pizza, and proceed to carve up our undisplinced back 7. Going to be a long year if these 3 first round D-Lineman can't do better to push the pocket. 

1 minute ago, John232 said:

My new draft order is 

1. QB

2. CB/DE
2. CB/DE
3. G
4. C

I'm curious to see what we do in FA. Rookie cornerbacks who play well are hard to come by. It's a very difficult transition to make, one of the hardest in my opinion. There are some decent corners available, though some are definitely older.

Trumaine Johnson will probably land one of the bigger deals. He probably fits what we want, but I'm okay if we go that route or bypass it. Malcolm Butler will be another who will get a big one. Both of those guys are almost a lock to hit the market I think because they are both on franchise tags this year, I think.

Then you've got Vontae Davis..29, been struggling to stay healthy, but could be a nice get on a buy low prove it deal. Brent Grimes is still playing quality cornerback. Yes, he's quite old but if he's not falling off, that wouldn't prevent me from giving him a one or two year deal. Same for Jonathan Joseph.

Then you've got Prince slated to come up again. Nothing special, but a competent guy.

Not much on the interior outside of Justin Pugh, I think. I think Jack Mewhort has played okay at times, but that Indy line is a mess, so I'm not sure how good he can really be.

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I'm curious to see what we do in FA. Rookie cornerbacks who play well are hard to come by. It's a very difficult transition to make, one of the hardest in my opinion. There are some decent corners available, though some are definitely older.

Trumaine Johnson will probably land one of the bigger deals. He probably fits what we want, but I'm okay if we go that route or bypass it. Malcolm Butler will be another who will get a big one. Both of those guys are almost a lock to hit the market I think because they are both on franchise tags this year, I think.

Then you've got Vontae Davis..29, been struggling to stay healthy, but could be a nice get on a buy low prove it deal. Brent Grimes is still playing quality cornerback. Yes, he's quite old but if he's not falling off, that wouldn't prevent me from giving him a one or two year deal. Same for Jonathan Joseph.

Then you've got Prince slated to come up again. Nothing special, but a competent guy.

Not much on the interior outside of Justin Pugh, I think. I think Jack Mewhort has played okay at times, but that Indy line is a mess, so I'm not sure how good he can really be.

Yeah, I'm being a bit facetious., obviously way too early. I do expect us to go hard after some guys in FA. Vets at corner might be a good idea depending on how the staff feels about Robinson and Dontae Johnson going forward. Jack Mewhort could be real interesting too. I was furious we didn't sign Zeitler. Only thing that I didn't like about the off-season. 

You also have Jeffery and Pryor too. Regardless, I think we could see one or two big holes get filled by FA. I'd expect Guard, Center and Corner to be the targeted positions in free agency. Then go after QB, WR, DE with our first three picks. 

1 minute ago, John232 said:

Yeah, I'm being a bit facetious., obviously way too early. I do expect us to go hard after some guys in FA. Vets at corner might be a good idea depending on how the staff feels about Robinson and Dontae Johnson going forward. Jack Mewhort could be real interesting too. I was furious we didn't sign Zeitler. Only thing that I didn't like about the off-season. 

You also have Jeffery and Pryor too. Regardless, I think we could see one or two big holes get filled by FA. I'd expect Guard, Center and Corner to be the targeted positions in free agency. Then go after QB, WR, DE with our first three picks. 

If we don't start using some real money out of our cap space next year, I'll be a little put off. We handed out some "big" deals this year, but they were mostly big paydays for guys who weren't really expecting that much. The only real big money we spent was Garcon.

Just now, Forge said:

If we don't start using some real money out of our cap space next year, I'll be a little put off. We handed out some "big" deals this year, but they were mostly big paydays for guys who weren't really expecting that much. The only real big money we spent was Garcon.

Especially if we bring in a young QB. They will need to start spending on that offense to protect him, but also to let him develop so when he gets paid, the guys we JUST Paid will be coming of their deals. Very important to start laying major ground work for a QB, whoever that is. 

Do we think that there's a likelihood that Armstead gets dealt after this season is over? We would have to decide on his option or he'll be going into his final year. The kid is only 23, so I hate to dump him off, but he's not been overly impressive in this new position so far, albeit only 3 games in. Just isn't a natural enough outside pass rusher. We are starting to see more and more high picks dealt while still on their rookie deals, and we can't be happy with the lack of pressure we are generating at this point in time.

Just now, Forge said:

Do we think that there's a likelihood that Armstead gets dealt after this season is over? We would have to decide on his option or he'll be going into his final year. The kid is only 23, so I hate to dump him off, but he's not been overly impressive in this new position so far, albeit only 3 games in. Just isn't a natural enough outside pass rusher. We are starting to see more and more high picks dealt while still on their rookie deals, and we can't be happy with the lack of pressure we are generating at this point in time.

I think there's a real good chance of it. He's not a bad player by any stretch, and he's a got a chance at being a real good player in a 3-4 again, but he's just too redundant with Buckner. He's a lesser version of him, and Buckner already isn't some explosive pass-rusher. He's unblockable already, but not Donald or Watt when it comes to shooting up at the QB. So yeah, I don't think it's a could he, I think he SHOULD be dealt. I was also saying he should have been traded the day they drafted Solomon Thomas. 

SF-49ers-Header.png

Top 5 Grades:

DI DeForest Buckner, 88.9 overall grade

WR Pierre Garcon, 88.1 overall grade

QB Brian Hoyer, 87.7 overall grade

T Joe Staley, 85.5 overall grade

WR Marquise Goodwin, 80.6 overall grade

Interesting that Hoyer had a higher grade than Goff. DeFo continues to be our stud. Garcon had not one, but two absolutely amazing catches. I thought Staley had an off night - he had the false start one drive, and then I could have sworn he gave up a few pressures, though I may be mistaken.

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

SF-49ers-Header.png

Top 5 Grades:

DI DeForest Buckner, 88.9 overall grade

WR Pierre Garcon, 88.1 overall grade

QB Brian Hoyer, 87.7 overall grade

T Joe Staley, 85.5 overall grade

WR Marquise Goodwin, 80.6 overall grade

Interesting that Hoyer had a higher grade than Goff. DeFo continues to be our stud. Garcon had not one, but two absolutely amazing catches. I thought Staley had an off night - he had the false start one drive, and then I could have sworn he gave up a few pressures, though I may be mistaken.

PFF has some axe to grind with Goff. I posted this about their grading of Goff last week:

Dak Prescott
30/50
60%
238 passing yards
4.8 YPA
2 TDs
2 Ints (1 pick-six)
68.6 QB Rating

QB DAK PRESCOTT, 71.0 OVERALL GRADE
Prescott wasn’t terrible in this game, but he was far worse than you typically expect, and could easily have had another two interceptions on the day had Dez Bryant not turned defensive back to prevent Aqib Talib picking them off. Balance that with the two he did throw being a throw off his receiver’s hands, and a pass that was tipped at the line, and you have a strange outing for Prescott this week.

Jared Goff
15/25
60%
224 passing yards
9.0 YPA
1 TD
1 Int
86.1 QB Rating

QB JARED GOFF, 43.1 OVERALL GRADE
After a big turn around last week, Goff looked as he did as a rookie. When Goff was pressured he struggled, while he did complete a touchdown pass under pressure, there were many bad decisions, as he struggles to break everything down under pressure

PFF has its guys that it likes and its guys that it doesn't like. You can definitely tell by the grades whom they are.

Just now, jrry32 said:

PFF has some axe to grind with Goff. I posted this about their grading of Goff last week:

Dak Prescott
30/50
60%
238 passing yards
4.8 YPA
2 TDs
2 Ints (1 pick-six)
68.6 QB Rating

QB DAK PRESCOTT, 71.0 OVERALL GRADE
Prescott wasn’t terrible in this game, but he was far worse than you typically expect, and could easily have had another two interceptions on the day had Dez Bryant not turned defensive back to prevent Aqib Talib picking them off. Balance that with the two he did throw being a throw off his receiver’s hands, and a pass that was tipped at the line, and you have a strange outing for Prescott this week.

Jared Goff
15/25
60%
9.0 YPA
1 TD
1 Int
86.1 QB Rating

QB JARED GOFF, 43.1 OVERALL GRADE
After a big turn around last week, Goff looked as he did as a rookie. When Goff was pressured he struggled, while he did complete a touchdown pass under pressure, there were many bad decisions, as he struggles to break everything down under pressure

PFF has its guys that it likes and its guys that it doesn't like. You can definitely tell by the grades whom they are.

Yeah, I didn't buy for a second that Hoyer was more impressive than Goff. He just wasn't. I also don't think that you can accurately grade entire teams just 45 minutes after the game ends lol. That's a really weird situation with Dak though from last week. That doesn't make much sense to me at all. Even ESPN's QBR seems a little more representative of what was actually done on the field, and when you are making ESPN's QBR look legit, you've got some problems with your calculations lol

Archived