GDT Week 3: Cowboys v. Cardinals on MNF

D82

dm_141029_nfl_Predict_ARIDAL.jpg

Date: Monday, September 25th 
Time: 8:30 PM EST

After a legit butt-kicking from the Denver Broncos, the Cowboys will be looking to show not just the league but themselves that it was nothing more than an off-week. Will Linehan devote more plays to the run game? Will Dak hit his stride after a rough opening to the season? Which defense will we see against the Cards?

Does anyone else feel like this Chidobe hamstring thing is going to linger all season? Combined with the fact that Scandrick can't stay healthy and Carroll sucks arse, we could have a bigger issue at CB than I thought.

Anyways we need to play way better in all 3 phases of the game here. We should beat what looks like a weaker than usual Cardinals team this season. But if we don't block better offensively, and don't tackle better defensively, we won't.

Curious to see what Scan and Cheeto's status is for game. Cheeto apparently checked out ok after game. Sounded more like a precaution after he felt tightness. Could be a lingering thing though. Could see more B. Jones at CB. Which I'm good with. Think I want to see Woods get more reps at FS. 

If we can generate some more pass rush, speed up the QB's progressions and possibly force some throws, that will help our depleted secondary. 

Regardless we have a lot of issues to clean up. Get back to basic fundamentals and go from there. Technique and angles and leverage! Trade craft 101! 

I think we'll win a close one. Fitzgerald, Nelson, the Browns, and that WR core should scare the **** out of us, especially with our secondary at the moment. However, David Johnson is that offense and opens up everything, so that's why I think we win.

I'll say Cowboys win a close one 30-28.

Hopefully this is a big game for Williams/Butler. Arizona has better personnel than most teams to match up with Dez, Beasley, and Witten, between PP, Honey Badger, and Buchanon (if he plays). Justin Bethel or whoever their CB2 is is the guy to attack in the secondary.

Of course, it starts with our run game. Hopefully last week was just an off week for our OL. AZ's DL is nothing special in the run game without Calais Campbell. Nkemdiche can be an issue, but can be schemed against as more of a penetrator than a space eater. Their back end is very fast, of course, but we should be able to churn out consistent 3-6 yard chunks. If not, it's probably time to be concerned.

On defense, hopefully we're more prepared than last week and don't lose key personnel early. Palmer looks totally finished from an arm and mobility standpoint, hopefully he gives us some turnovers. Their OL is basically a disaster with their injuries up front and their WR corps is far from the nightmare it was 2 years ago- their coach has admitted as much. And Kerwynn Williams and The Artist Formerly Known As CJ2K are no David Johnson.

On paper, AZ is a worse team than Denver in more than a few areas- what was once considered one of the most frightening offenses in football has become a shell of itself through age, injury, and additional circumstances. But they still playmakers on both sides (mostly defense). It probably comes down to our ability to establish the run, since that's where we've invested our resources and announced our identity. If we again fail to do that and find ourselves down multiple scores (something that rarely happened last season), it may be time to ask some serious questions.

20 hours ago, DalCowboyzRule said:

Does anyone else feel like this Chidobe hamstring thing is going to linger all season? Combined with the fact that Scandrick can't stay healthy and Carroll sucks arse, we could have a bigger issue at CB than I thought.

Anyways we need to play way better in all 3 phases of the game here. We should beat what looks like a weaker than usual Cardinals team this season. But if we don't block better offensively, and don't tackle better defensively, we won't.

Carrol sucks because he had a bad game against a top flight receiving tandem while also having health issues?

Yet last week many thought he was outstanding.

WTH is with this teams fanbase, seriously? 

16 minutes ago, Dallas94Ware said:

This is quite the quality post that makes this forum so spectacular after a losing game. :P

I'm not sure what the common thought is around here, but Nolan Carroll hasn't been good for quite some time. And it wasn't the fact that he was playing against 2 great WR last game. It was the fact that he missed about 3 tackles that you and I could make and was out of position nearly every single time, which maybe resulted in 50-60 extra total yards. The injury might be a blessing in disguise because I'm confident even with little practice, that Jourdan Lewis is better.

18 hours ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

I expect us to win in convincing fashion.

Vegas has us as a 3 point favorite on the road. I expect us to win by two scores. Control the clock.

Yep, pretty much my thoughts as well.  Arizona lost their best player. Palmer is playing like he is washed up. They pose very little threat on offense. 

Archived