GDT Week 3: Cowboys v. Cardinals on MNF

D82

21 hours ago, Tyronnosaurus said:

I'm not sure what the common thought is around here, but Nolan Carroll hasn't been good for quite some time. And it wasn't the fact that he was playing against 2 great WR last game. It was the fact that he missed about 3 tackles that you and I could make and was out of position nearly every single time, which maybe resulted in 50-60 extra total yards. The injury might be a blessing in disguise because I'm confident even with little practice, that Jourdan Lewis is better.

His missed tackles sucked. But so did Lee's. Does Lee suck because he missed tackles? How about Byron Jones? Jaylon Smith? All missed more than a couple tackles. Why does only Carrol suck because of it?

35 minutes ago, Dallas94Ware said:

His missed tackles sucked. But so did Lee's. Does Lee suck because he missed tackles? How about Byron Jones? Jaylon Smith? All missed more than a couple tackles. Why does only Carrol suck because of it?

His missed tackles just add to why he sucks. Sean Lee has been a pro-bowl level LB for the majority of his career. Jaylon Smith is playing football for the first time in over a year. And Byron Jones has been a massive disappointment so far. Nolan Carroll may have had some solid moments in Miami, but he's been a punchline for most of his career. The only reason he's playing is because Awuzie can't stay healthy and Lewis hasn't been healthy all offseason. Scandrick is out as well.

53 minutes ago, Dallas94Ware said:

The difference is, as Sturm put it- whether due to lack of interest, ability, or both, Carroll's tackle attempts may not have even counted in *flag football*. He was hardly even able to touch DT and Sanders on the two 20+ yard pass plays on Denver's opening drive that went against and in some ways defined the game (we played very conservatively on defense from then on- tons of 6 men in the box- and got absolutely wrecked by Denver's short passing and running games). On those plays, Carroll actually impeded the pursuit to the ball from the LBs and safeties you mentioned- making him the absolute worst kind of traffic cone and, ergo, football player.

He played much better in the opener against a Giants' WR corps that may have more name than game; certainly you won't see many better WRs duos than we faced against Denver. But we're going to have to face some more really damn good ones- such is life in the modern NFL. I'm not opposed to the idea that Carroll will create some positive plays for us this year, since he's at least shown some good ball skills at times in the past. But as long as he's in the lineup against competent passing offenses, he's likely to create positive plays for those offenses, too. He's been picked on to much success for most of his career and there's only so many CBs that have broken out in year 8 at age 30.

7 hours ago, The_Slamman said:

As bad as the secondary was last week, the DL was worse.  I think we are really missing Terrell McClain.  Hopefully the return of Irving will help the DL generally, but our run defense got exposed by a very average run offense.

I think this can be somewhat attributed to the passing defense getting worked early on- we played 6 men in the box for most of the game. That and the altitude and playing too many snaps (77, almost all from behind) and most run defenses will get worked.

Still, the lack of DT and, to a lesser extent, LB depth is concerning. Our run defense obviously benefits from playing with leads.

My point was is that, as usual, everyones looking for a scapegoat. Someone, a reason, to point the finger and say thats the reason for the loss, they suck, they played terrible, etc

In one thread its Dak

In another is Carrol

In another its Zeke

In another its the coaches

But the truth of the matter is, everyone played and coached terribly. There is no one reason for a loss any more than there is one reason for a win. This is the ultimate team sport and the only sport where coaching has as big of an impact as it does. Everyone involved has a part to play and all stunk this past week.

Dak missed a second td to Witten. Dez caused two Ints with lazy play. Beasley didnt finish his routes. Martin and Fredrick looked more like (end of career version) Gurode and that-sucky-guy-from-detroit we used to peddle off as a starting G. Lee missed almost as many tackles as Linehan called run plays. Heath completely blew two coverages. Etc etc

Carrol doesnt suck, we saw that against Nyg. Nor does this team. One bad game doesnt make anyone suck. The entire team had a bad game, and now its time to make you all enshrine the whole team in canton (in your minds anyway) by beating Arizona.

8 hours ago, Dallas94Ware said:

My point was is that, as usual, everyones looking for a scapegoat. Someone, a reason, to point the finger and say thats the reason for the loss, they suck, they played terrible, etc

In one thread its Dak

In another is Carrol

In another its Zeke

In another its the coaches

But the truth of the matter is, everyone played and coached terribly. There is no one reason for a loss any more than there is one reason for a win. This is the ultimate team sport and the only sport where coaching has as big of an impact as it does. Everyone involved has a part to play and all stunk this past week.

Dak missed a second td to Witten. Dez caused two Ints with lazy play. Beasley didnt finish his routes. Martin and Fredrick looked more like (end of career version) Gurode and that-sucky-guy-from-detroit we used to peddle off as a starting G. Lee missed almost as many tackles as Linehan called run plays. Heath completely blew two coverages. Etc etc

Carrol doesnt suck, we saw that against Nyg. Nor does this team. One bad game doesnt make anyone suck. The entire team had a bad game, and now its time to make you all enshrine the whole team in canton (in your minds anyway) by beating Arizona.

Great post. 

90% of this team played terribly vs Denver. On defense we couldn't make a tackle to save our lives, bad angles, bad guesses on which lane to attack, bad technique and absolutely none of the ruthless gang mentality tackling. Also quite sure 2+ of the Broncos passing td's came via our secondary falling down in coverage. 

On offense we couldn't break tackles and dak's inability to put the ball in good spots was part of that. As was the lines inability to put zeke in one on one matchups down the field. And zeke's In ability to shed first contact tackles ( which is something no one did better last year). Play calling also looked like Denver was sending them out as they seemed a step or two ahead all game. 

Does the fact that everyone played terrible prove that carrol is a good player? Obviously not. Haha however it doesn't necessarily prove he sucks either. 

I don't want to hear ANYMORE excuses about our secondary. EVERY GOD DAMN YEAR we address this in the draft and its the same damn story!

We have to get a better pass rush PERIOD! I know we took T. Charlton, but what has that shown as of yet? I get it is early and Moore and Irving are out on suspension, but shouldn't all the DB's we draft every year begin to show SOME improvement by now????

GOD I hate the emphasis on those positions.

1 hour ago, Rtnldave said:

I don't want to hear ANYMORE excuses about our secondary. EVERY GOD DAMN YEAR we address this in the draft and its the same damn story!

- I think you have unreal expectations for a bunch of rookies and secondary was perfectly fine vs NYG. 

We have to get a better pass rush PERIOD! I know we took T. Charlton, but what has that shown as of yet? I get it is early and Moore and Irving are out on suspension, but shouldn't all the DB's we draft every year begin to show SOME improvement by now????

Again, fine vs NYG.  Short-handed vs Denver, before injuries even took place.

GOD I hate the emphasis on those positions.

What emphasis? Last 6 drafts, RD 1-3 = 5 DL and 4 DB. All RDS last 6 draft ... 10 DL and 13 DB. This isn't out of line. 

Archived