2020 NFL Free Agency: Rumors and Reports

jetskid007

3 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Any deals (trades + signings) via phone are not finalized without passing physical exams.  That is a problem.    Kind of silly to have deal in place and then wait, wait, wait, wait and finally take an exam.    I don't know.

There's always the option of private jets.

• Like 1

It’s obviously a serious thing going on, but some of the steps being taken are massive overreactions. Organizations are in part succumbing to public pressure after the steps taken by the administration and response by the NBA. 

The only thing that should truly be in question is how they hold the draft. You can’t expect prospects to get on planes and whatnot, but there are so many ways to address some of the things teams do between now and the draft. Video conferences, executives visiting the player, private workouts where a single designated individual visits, workouts performed over live feed. And for free agency, I don’t see why you can’t sending your medical personnel to perform a physical elsewhere or even hire an independent doctor to evaluate and have your medical team look at the report (if it’s clear nothing is wrong then no delay; if there’s something in question arrange for a more thorough eval), delaying physicals and inserting contractual stipulations that are favorable to both the player and team at the onset of free agency... 

I get and totally agree crowd control, and I understand the sports venues deciding to postpone events because of all the money they’re going to lose, but notions of postponing events that don’t require crowd gatherings (I.e. free agency) is just stupid imo. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JetsandI said:

Any deals (trades + signings) via phone are not finalized without passing physical exams.  That is a problem.    Kind of silly to have deal in place and then wait, wait, wait, wait and finally take an exam.    I don't know.

How many people does it take for a physical?

Everyone supposed to just be home, in a bubble, not interacting with everyone?

If anything, I would hope it’s a mandatory COVID-19 testing with the physicals

49 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

It’s obviously a serious thing going on, but some of the steps being taken are massive overreactions. Organizations are in part succumbing to public pressure after the steps taken by the administration and response by the NBA. 

The only thing that should truly be in question is how they hold the draft. You can’t expect prospects to get on planes and whatnot, but there are so many ways to address some of the things teams do between now and the draft. Video conferences, executives visiting the player, private workouts where a single designated individual visits, workouts performed over live feed. And for free agency, I don’t see why you can’t sending your medical personnel to perform a physical elsewhere or even hire an independent doctor to evaluate and have your medical team look at the report (if it’s clear nothing is wrong then no delay; if there’s something in question arrange for a more thorough eval), delaying physicals and inserting contractual stipulations that are favorable to both the player and team at the onset of free agency... 

I get and totally agree crowd control, and I understand the sports venues deciding to postpone events because of all the money they’re going to lose, but notions of postponing events that don’t require crowd gatherings (I.e. free agency) is just stupid imo. 

Teams want their own doctors and physicians attend their players.    

Maybe NFL should add a temporary rule for FA activity.  Once the mutual agreement is secured, either party can't back out until the said "open for public" date.   Of course, it is for an assumption that NFL postpone the new year league date.  Otherwise, proceed carefully and wisely.

4 hours ago, JetsandI said:

NFL may postpone the new league year until Wednesday, according to the joker named Mike Florio.    It is your call to believe it or not.

And what exactly does 2 days do? lol

Anyways I don't see the purpose to the NFL suspending the league year when that isn't going to accomplish anything. All the other leagues are in the middle of seasons with large amounts of fans attending games, so its apples and oranges vs NFL FA which is just teams calling agents. 

There is literally no point in it.