2020 NFL Free Agency: Rumors and Reports

jetskid007

31 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

JD made it sound like he will be. Not at his current salary at least. If he refuses to restructure... then yes he will get cut. But I think he will restructure to stick around another year.

I think he only referenced Winters because he’s under contract. If you’re talking about his combine press conference. 

15 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

I think the Jets feel that finding another slot corner would be easier and cheaper than finding a guy who can play man coverage on the perimeter. Remember, Poole was nothing special when we signed him, he just turned out to be a fabulous fit for the scheme. 

The big thing that scares me with Bradberry is that any team signing him to play press-man is doing so on a projection. He has played well in press, but Carolina has only done it on a limited basis. Feels a lot like Anthony Barr, but a little less of a projection. Still, it sounds like he's our top CB on the market... I noticed a week or so ago Hughes said the Jets preferred him to Jones. 

Just don’t think that’s money well spent.

32 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

I think he only referenced Winters because he’s under contract. If you’re talking about his combine press conference. 

Yes.  He grew up throughout the organizations where they frequently kept players until their contracts expired.

Edited by JetsandI

50 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Just don’t think that’s money well spent.

I don’t either. Personally, I would let Poole go as well. I like Jimmy Smith as a short-term fit and either Darqueze Dennard or Kendall Fuller to fill the slot vacancy. Both may be cheaper than Poole and are more versatile (Dennard can play the perimeter; Fuller plays some safety and was truly elite in the slot), which I prefer with corners. If they’re not cheap, then give me Mackensie Alexander or Anthony Brown on a 1 year deal. 

Unless you’re an elite level, island CB who can play press-man, zone coverage, and follow the opposing teams #1 option, I don’t believe in paying big money. It’s not a sustainable position because when a guys speed drops off, their game falls apart, and as we’ve come to learn with Revis and Johnson, that’s something which is hard to predict. Having guys who can create pressure up front is much more sustainable and easier to find.

Edited by jetskid007
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, jetskid007 said:

I don’t either. Personally, I would let Poole go as well. I like Jimmy Smith as a short-term fit and either Darqueze Dennard or Kendall Fuller to fill the slot vacancy. Both may be cheaper than Poole and are more versatile (Dennard can play the perimeter; Fuller plays some safety and was truly elite in the slot), which I prefer with corners. If they’re not cheap, then give me Mackensie Alexander or Anthony Brown on a 1 year deal. 

Unless you’re an elite level, island CB who can play press-man, zone coverage, and follow the opposing teams #1 option, I don’t believe in paying big money. It’s not a sustainable position because when a guys speed drops off, their game falls apart, and as we’ve come to learn with Revis and Johnson, that’s something which is hard to predict. Having guys who can create pressure up front is much more sustainable and easier to find.

Gotcha. I agree. Use that money elsewhere. I keep pointing to that we had the 7th best defense last year without our best defensive player all season. We don’t need much on that side of the ball. Just having them on the field less and scoring on offense should make them better. 

11 minutes ago, DowNY said:

I mean he’s not allowed to say much else. I think nothing he said changes the situation. He’s going to go where the money is. And I just don’t think we will bid what other teams will and he certainly won’t give us a discount. So to me... there’s a 90% chance he’s gone.

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Gotcha. I agree. Use that money elsewhere. I keep pointing to that we had the 7th best defense last year without our best defensive player all season. We don’t need much on that side of the ball. Just having them on the field less and scoring on offense should make them better. 

Offense should obviously without question be the priority (And it will), but the whole "7th best defense" is comically misleading:

• Fitzmagic x 2
  • Dalton
  • Rudolph/Hodges
  • Carr
  • Minshew
  • Haskins
  • Jones
  • Mayfield

Those guys aren't all scrubs per say but not exactly cream of the crop either. My point being, don't let the "7th best defense" disguise the fact that we could very easily have the leagues worst CB and EDGE groups currently under contract. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NJC33 said:

Offense should obviously without question be the priority (And it will), but the whole "7th best defense" is comically misleading:

• Fitzmagic x 2
  • Dalton
  • Rudolph/Hodges
  • Carr
  • Minshew
  • Haskins
  • Jones
  • Mayfield

Those guys aren't all scrubs per say but not exactly cream of the crop either. My point being, don't let the "7th best defense" disguise the fact that we could very easily have the leagues worst CB and EDGE groups currently under contract. 

Brady and Allen x2,ea, Prescott, Jackson. Wentz. You only play against the teams you play.
We also played a good portion of the year without our top 3ILBs (sometimes top 4)  and had a guy from our practice squad starting.  Also our CB position improved greatly when Austin, Maulet and Canady replaced Tru, Roberts and Hairston and of course we had no pass rusher. Our top rookie had a tough year but could come back in his 2nd year and play like he did in college. Mosely and Williamson will only improve our defense, as will not having Tru or Roberts. IMO our DL could be great and is waiting for a guy with some twitch. Even without signing a Fowler,Judon, Dupree or Beasley, A third round pick like Highsmith, Zuniga, Anae or Uche could have a major impact on our D