2020 NFL Free Agency: Rumors and Reports

jetskid007

6 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

Dudes just trying to drive his price up. Trying to seem like a “team guy” by talking highly about the Jets. It’s all an act. He’s going to go where the money is. And that better not be us. Dude is going to get top 10-15 WR money when he’s not a top 30 WR

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Chiefs just won a SB with one of the leagues worst CB units. CB isn’t important as it used to be

Bingo. It's nice to have,  but it's more important to be able to pressure the qb. 

We need to focus on offense and pressuring the qb better.

Protect the qb and harass the qb. That wins football games

25 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Dudes just trying to drive his price up. Trying to seem like a “team guy” by talking highly about the Jets. It’s all an act. He’s going to go where the money is. And that better not be us. Dude is going to get top 10-15 WR money when he’s not a top 30 WR

This is just false. Believe it or not he's a very genuine guy. He's a bit unorthodox, but I've met him briefly in Miami and I know plenty of people who have been associated with him dating back to his days at Temple. Might not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but he's not someone who is just going to lie to please people. 

His future is very much in his agent's hands. He entrusts his reps to get him the best deal, largely understanding how much money $1,000,000 really is. 

As far as paying him, I'm for it on a 3 year deal (or a 4 year with an early out). There's no debating that he is one of the best secondary options in the NFL right now. We know exactly who he is: a spectacular deep threat with good hands and a contested ball catcher who has chemistry with QB Sam Darnold. In 4 years he's played for 4 different coordinators in 3 different schemes. He's been durable (only missed 2 games) and has played through injury. In 62 career games, 13 were with backup QBs. As much as you don't want to "overpay" - is it really overpaying if the market willing to pay him that? Gotta keep in mind that inflation is part of the game... On tape, I think he's a much better player than Tyrell Williams. I don't care what the stats say - he had Phillip Rivers and other players around him to help him more than Robby has had. He got $11 million per. I'm happy to give Robby $13 million per knowing where the salary cap is going. 

The caution with him is if you sign him on a deal too long, there will likely be buyer's remorse. Once Robby's speed begins to diminish, his game is going to fall off since he's not much of a technician and doesn't offer much at the LOS. But on a 3 year deal, you're not tied too far long-term and even if he does outproduce the contract and hits free agency again, the rookie WRs who we are inevitably going to draft will be in line for extensions, as will Sam, so the timing will work out. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

This is just false. Believe it or not he's a very genuine guy. He's a bit unorthodox, but I've met him briefly in Miami and I know plenty of people who have been associated with him dating back to his days at Temple. Might not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but he's not someone who is just going to lie to please people. 

His future is very much in his agent's hands. He entrusts his reps to get him the best deal, largely understanding how much money $1,000,000 really is. 

As far as paying him, I'm for it on a 3 year deal (or a 4 year with an early out). There's no debating that he is one of the best secondary options in the NFL right now. We know exactly who he is: a spectacular deep threat with good hands and a contested ball catcher who has chemistry with QB Sam Darnold. In 4 years he's played for 4 different coordinators in 3 different schemes. He's been durable (only missed 2 games) and has played through injury. In 62 career games, 13 were with backup QBs. As much as you don't want to "overpay" - is it really overpaying if the market willing to pay him that? Gotta keep in mind that inflation is part of the game... On tape, I think he's a much better player than Tyrell Williams. I don't care what the stats say - he had Phillip Rivers and other players around him to help him more than Robby has had. He got $11 million per. I'm happy to give Robby $13 million per knowing where the salary cap is going. 

The caution with him is if you sign him on a deal too long, there will likely be buyer's remorse. Once Robby's speed begins to diminish, his game is going to fall off since he's not much of a technician and doesn't offer much at the LOS. But on a 3 year deal, you're not tied too far long-term and even if he does outproduce the contract and hits free agency again, the rookie WRs who we are inevitably going to draft will be in line for extensions, as will Sam, so the timing will work out. 

Seems like a decent guy and all. I just still think he’s going where the money is. I think him speaking highly about us and wanting to stay isn’t 100% genuine. He will go where the money is. Meaning if we offer him a deal 1mill less per than let’s say Philly. He’s going to Philly. Keep in mind he went to temple and that’s in philly.

I know a lot of guys on here are younger, so maybe haven’t had this in their life... but I have turned down several jobs that would pay me more for different reasons. So to just say anyone would go where the money is, isn’t true.

Guy also said he had a dream he was playing with Tom Brady next year and that would be a dream come true. Ya that’s the guy I want to give 13mill to per year who has never eclipsed 1000yds

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

Seems like a decent guy and all. I just still think he’s going where the money is. I think him speaking highly about us and wanting to stay isn’t 100% genuine. He will go where the money is. Meaning if we offer him a deal 1mill less per than let’s say Philly. He’s going to Philly. Keep in mind he went to temple and that’s in philly.

I know a lot of guys on here are younger, so maybe haven’t had this in their life... but I have turned down several jobs that would pay me more for different reasons. So to just say anyone would go where the money is, isn’t true.

And he'd be stupid not to. I don't mean to sound insensitive because I do understand that career choices and weighing compensation are a real thing (I'm going through it right now, hence why I have so much time on my hands), but there's literally no comparing your career to Robby's. He's a football player. He's was born in NJ, moved down to Florida as a kid, went to Temple after getting offers from all midwestern schools. He's spent the last 4 seasons in NJ with the Jets, but his offseason's are largely spent in Florida and traveling. And we're not talking about a few thousand dollars; $1,000,000 is a ton of money whether you're rich or poor. That's what fans don't understand. So yes, if I were Robby and PHI offered me $1M more than the Jets, I would take it without blinking. It's not like he's the elite of elite players in the world who are set for life. This is likely his last opportunity to cash in, and assuming he signs a $40 million contract, chances are he's really only going to see $15-20 million after you weed out everything (taxes, un-guaranteed "phony" money, expenses, etc.). So yes, he should go where the money is. 

As far as the Jets - if it wasn't so genuine then why was he saying the same exact things at the trade deadline when we were sitting 1-6? He made it clear: he wants to be here, but he understands this is a business. That's what he has continued to say. 

Whether he re-signs or not, I'm supportive of his decision. He's been one of our few bright spots over the past 4 years and despite so many promising players with high expectations who have disappointed, he was an UDFA who has exceeded them. Go get the money Robby. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

And he'd be stupid not to. I don't mean to sound insensitive because I do understand that career choices and weighing compensation are a real thing (I'm going through it right now, hence why I have so much time on my hands), but there's literally no comparing your career to Robby's. He's a football player. He's was born in NJ, moved down to Florida as a kid, went to Temple after getting offers from all midwestern schools. He's spent the last 4 seasons in NJ with the Jets, but his offseason's are largely spent in Florida and traveling. And we're not talking about a few thousand dollars; $1,000,000 is a ton of money whether you're rich or poor. That's what fans don't understand. So yes, if I were Robby and PHI offered me $1M more than the Jets, I would take it without blinking. It's not like he's the elite of elite players in the world who are set for life. This is likely his last opportunity to cash in, and assuming he signs a $40 million contract, chances are he's really only going to see $15-20 million after you weed out everything (taxes, un-guaranteed "phony" money, expenses, etc.). So yes, he should go where the money is. 

As far as the Jets - if it wasn't so genuine then why was he saying the same exact things at the trade deadline when we were sitting 1-6? He made it clear: he wants to be here, but he understands this is a business. That's what he has continued to say. 

Whether he re-signs or not, I'm supportive of his decision. He's been one of our few bright spots over the past 4 years and despite so many promising players with high expectations who have disappointed, he was an UDFA who has exceeded them. Go get the money Robby. 

I have never said he’s wrong for what he’s doing. I just don’t think he genuinely cares to stay with us if the money isn’t there (which is understandable). But after his interview yesterday... people are now thinking like he wants nothing else than to be a Jet. No he wants nothing else than to get PAID. People shouldn’t confuse the 2. And he’s free to that. I just think it’s all an act to talk highly of us. Bc at the end of the day it’s BS. He’d go to a Miami if the money was there. He can careless about the team, QB, etc. 

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Pretty much all the good teams these days score a bunch of points. More the reason to go heavy on offense and not heavy on defense.

To be fair I don't want to spend big money on a cb but I do think it's an important position and we need at least some sort of upgrades. 

The most intriguing option to me to transform our defense is let Jenkins and Poole walk and add Fowler Jr and Beasley at edge. Sign a cheap vet or 2 at CB to fill out the defense. Spend the rest of the money on offense and pretty much use all of our draft picks on offense as well.

• Like 1