2020 NFL Free Agency: Rumors and Reports

jetskid007

I know this might not be a popular take, but I’d pump the brakes on breaking the bank for Clowney. 

Markus Golden has 3 less career sacks than this dude in less seasons. Clowney has a lot of Leonard Williams in him. Disrupts plays., eats up blocks but never seems to get home. Never has had a double digit sack season. 

Maybe I read his stats wrong but 3 sacks in 13 games?  A history of injuries. Not sure this is the move for a franchise trying to build from the ground up. It would be a splash like Bell last year, but could quickly turn into a Trumaine Johnson situation. 

I’m going to be patient this off season and see how Douglas plays it. Just cause Brady is out of the division doesn’t mean we’re just a few players away from owning the division. Slow and steady isn’t sexy but might be just what we need to do. 

If we can come away with McGovern, a corner (Darby, Wayne’s) and bring back Robby, I’m cool with that. We’ve all seen throwing money at stars doesn’t work for us. 

Just my opinion. Still just day two. Fingers crossed we get some good news to ease the cabin fever. 

Edited by JohnnyHectorFan

46 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

I really hope it's not teddy.   I don't wanna hate him

It's going to be really weird if they get a QB I like. If they get Teddy or Alex Smith or Bortles or even Foles... it'll just be so confusing.

Now Winston, there's a match I'd just love to see. The highest risk/reward possible.

Just now, doumeyer said:

Dow is right I never remember a 7-9  team that was as bad as the Jets last year.

We won’t play an awful schedule like that for awhile. Quite frankly it’s pretty embarrassing that we only went 7-9 with that schedule. Letting teams like CLE, MIA and CIN best us

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JohnnyHectorFan said:

I know this might not be a popular take, but I’d pump the brakes on breaking the bank for Clowney. 

Markus Golden has 3 less career sacks than this dude in less seasons. Clowney has a lot of Leonard Williams in him. Disrupts plays., eats up blocks but never seems to get home. Never has had a double digit sack season. 

Maybe I read his stats wrong but 3 sacks in 13 games?  A history of injuries. Not sure this is the move for a franchise trying to build from the ground up. It would be a splash like Bell last year, but could quickly turn into a Trumaine Johnson situation. 

I’m going to be patient this off season and see how Douglas plays it. Just cause Brady is out of the division doesn’t mean we’re just a few players away from owning the division. Slow and steady isn’t sexy but might be just what we need to do. 

If we can come away with McGovern, a corner (Darby, Wayne’s) and bring back Robby, I’m cool with that. We’ve all seen throwing money at stars doesn’t work for us. 

Just my opinion. Still just day two. Fingers crossed we get some good news to ease the cabin fever. 

I don't disagree with much of this, though one could argue that guys like Leonard Williams and Clowney ARE important if you have a guy to clean up the sacks that they largely create. We do not. Hence the problem.

Also, technically it's still just day minus-1, though a lot of players (we wanted) are already gone verbally.

19 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Sad but true. And a rookie to replace Edoga. Wow. Slow down JD.

Sad but truer? It would be an upgrade over last year's line lol. But seriously, the only guy we've truly missed out on thus far is Glasgow. Sucks, but as Patches O'Houlihan once said, "All right, you heard Billie-Jean King... no crying in the breast milk"... 

I wrote about it in a post that I'll have to dig up, but this offseason was always about rebuilding the offensive line in one of two ways: sign multiple tier 1 FA studs, or take the Bills approach and gather a bunch of veteran, overlooked OL, draft someone, and have an open competition across the board. Clearly, it's looking more likely that we're going to do the later. 

If the Jets can come away with a combination of Fant, GVR, Wiz, Skura, Lewis, a two rookies (a day 1 and a day 2/3)... that's a significant investment into the position and a significant upgrade over what we had. 

For me, the offseason will be defined today. Can you land a real EDGE rusher. I've seen so many teams build winners with players who provoked their fan base to say "huh?" in FA - guys with limited starting experience or uneven past play who end up becoming good contributors. Remember, some of these guys getting signed weren't top 5 picks. At one point, they were 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th round guys... Jets need to sign one of these talented EDGE rushers to pair with their DL, bandaid the CB position with a combination of vets and young guys with potential, add a receiver, and then draft heavy on offense... 

That said, the entire pre-draft process kind of feels like a failure to me if we can't land the EDGE. It's been 15 years since we had one... go get him. 

12 hours ago, mattmanz91 said:

Why? I'd love OT with our first pick. 

12 hours ago, ekill08x said:

I think OL at 11 was always a certainty I don’t think today changed anything 

12 hours ago, rampantjet said:

We pick 11 and dressing OL would disappoint you?  You might be the only jets fan to say that

I'm very well seated on the Jerry Jeudy hype train. Missing out on him is going to haunt us.

• Like 1

My issue is I don’t rate the remaining OLineman high or WRs. So there’s really no fixing this until the draft. And we can’t get starters everywhere in those places with what we have in the draft. Maybe 2 or 3 starters. But that’s it.

27 minutes ago, JohnnyHectorFan said:

To me, it's Bill Parcells' planet theory: acquire as many big men with speed as possible. 

Clowney is an "old" 27. No doubt. He's not traditional in the sense that he's your typical "elite" double-digit sack guy. But when this guy is on... he's a total game wrecker. A playmaker. 

Yes, it's a risk, but these are the type of players you take risks on. You sign him to a deal that permits an out after the 2nd year. 

That's my take. I know many would disagree, but Clowney is an otherworldly talent. Sometimes it's worth playing roulette on a player like that. What do the Jets have to lose? Worst-case you overpaid for a guy who is a great run defender and a clean-up pass rusher the way Jenkins was. Best case? Woof. 

Now, if he's asking for something like 3 years guaranteed - that may be what makes me halt.