COVID-19: NFL tells employees to work from home

RaidersAreOne

5 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Why don’t you trust the CDC or WHO reporting the symptoms from all of the data and cases they’ve collected?

What's wrong with hearing personal experiences? What are you trying to hide?

Just now, Calvert28 said:

Not whining, trying to understand the paranoia. 

And I’m trying to understand why you refuse to accept mathematics and scientific research. So here we are.

people need to take this more seriously than you think they should. The data supports this. It’s not paranoia. 

9 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

How is that contradicting. The cases are already there being reported for the flu, what they are talking about is speculation and guess work. It could very well become eradicated by summer for all we know. As I said in a previous post the launch pad for CV was a city of 11 million and by and large went 3 months being ignored, if we're getting into guess work I would say it should have already spread far more then it already has. 

Have you ever been sick before?

I feel like I'm not breaking ground here on a massive breakthrough by saying that it's not a guess to assume that when you're sick, you make other people sick. We're not guessing, it's common freaking sense.

5000 people have died in Wuhan, crazy bad no? But obviously sad. Ignoring numbers and scale like you've been doing, let's say if we do nothing here 5,000 people die, but if we take these large measures we stop the volume of those infected and 2500 die. Are you saying that wasn't worth it? I can't understand your point here.

2 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

And I’m trying to understand why you refuse to accept mathematics and scientific research. So here we are.

people need to take this more seriously than you think they should. The data supports this. It’s not paranoia. 

Scientific? Even the CDC has admitted we don't know much about this virus yet. So please don't bring up scientific again until we some "legit" research. Like treatment options. 

7 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I’m just sharing what my brothers lab thinks. They think the lowest the fatality rate it’ll have when it’s all said and done by the end of the year is 5%. And the Case Closed Rate doesn’t lie. All fact based. It’s technically 2-3% because they are including Active Cases. And even in the Active Cases, 10% are in critical condition. 

The problem with that is that the testing regime isn't the same everywhere.  If you go sole by case closed rate, or rate of people in critical condition, France and Germany look like they have totally different diseases, when (in all likelihood) that is not true.  

If the denominator in your calculation is number of positive tests (and number of recovered tests is obviously strongly related to it), then how readily someone with symptoms is tested makes a massive difference. 

Just now, TENINCH said:

What's wrong with hearing personal experiences? What are you trying to hide?

Nothing. Literally nothing. The evidence and data is all out there for you to read. Plenty of personal accounts are available via social media and other news outlets. Go find them if you want to know. In the meantime I urge you to accept the data provided by the organizations that were created to fight diseases like this.

Seems like you’re more concerned with bashing the “media” than understanding the available data and evidence. This is how misinformation is spread.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

And this is the panic pandemic I am talking about. Half a million people haven't died. Hell under the right circumstances the flu could take millions of people too, we've seen it before where the flu can kill millions. It doesn't though does it in today's era? With the flu you are encouraged not to go to large gatherings either, you're encouraged to take better hygiene care precautions. People approach the flu season with a discipline each and every year and yet tens of thousands still die from it. Why not the mass panic from that? Because that's whats expected, it's routine, it comes each and every year for 5 to 7 months. The panic over this is overblown when we already have proven that the methods we can go by when dealing with these types of outbreaks will severely limit it's spread. 

I feel like you're confusing what stupid people do (ie. hoarding toilet papers) and applying it as mass panic to everyone else. There's a difference between that and something like what the NBA is doing or what public institutions like schools are doing. It's a taking a threat seriously. And just because something has flu-like features does not mean that Covid-19 is the flu. It's new, there's no vaccine for it yet, and seems to be spreading at a faster rate and has a higher incubation period of 14 days. And one of my biggest concern is that we do not know if it's seasonal yet like the flu. There's no 5 to 7 month window yet.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Have you ever been sick before?

I feel like I'm not breaking ground here on a massive breakthrough by saying that it's not a guess to assume that when you're sick, you make other people sick. We're not guessing, it's common freaking sense.

5000 people have died in Wuhan, crazy no? Ignoring numbers and scale like you've been doing, let's say if we do nothing here 5,000 people die, but if we take these large measures we stop the volume of those infected and 2500 die. Are you saying that wasn't worth it? I can't understand your point here.

???

Are you referring to CV as Wuhan? Cause the death toll worldwide is at 4900.

2 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Scientific? Even the CDC has admitted we don't know much about this virus yet. So please don't bring up scientific again until we some "legit" research. Like treatment options. 

What are you even talking about? I’m to the point where I think you are just arguing for the sake of arguing. 

1 minute ago, Calvert28 said:

Where do you think "research" or "treatment options" come from?

Science is incremental.  You don't have "nothing", and then have "the answer".  There is a lot of steps and a lot of data generated along the way. 

And given the necessity for experts to provide guidance and advice to try and reduce the severity of this pandemic, they can only base said advice on the information they have at hand.  Would you rather they say "We don't know. You do you.  We'll get back to you once we have the answer, even if it means thousands of people die in the mean time"

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JDBrocks said:

Nothing. Literally nothing. The evidence and data is all out there for you to read. Plenty of personal accounts are available via social media and other news outlets. Go find them if you want to know. In the meantime I urge you to accept the data provided by the organizations that were created to fight diseases like this.

Seems like you’re more concerned with bashing the “media” than understanding the available data and evidence. This is how misinformation is spread.

Why are we discussing this on a football site? What are there 3 threads for this? Why do these viruses come out every 2 years? Why has this virus been referenced in books? Was this virus manufactured and released into the public on purpose? Has China apologized for all the people they are killing?

1 minute ago, Xenos said:

I feel like you're confusing what stupid people do (ie. hoarding toilet papers) and applying it as mass panic to everyone else. There's a difference between that and something like what the NBA is doing or what public institutions like schools are doing. It's a taking a threat seriously. And just because something has flu-like features does not mean that Covid-19 is the flu. It's new, there's no vaccine for it yet, and seems to be spreading at a faster rate and has a higher incubation period of 14 days. And one of my biggest concern is that we do not know if it's seasonal yet like the flu. There's no 5 to 7 month window yet.

Oh I have no problem with the NFL telling people to work from home. Just some of the other measures you hear about in China or Italy, and even hospital's here doing some crazy things although that is less extreme. I mean when you shut down a city and show that on TV people are going to lose their mind's and think this is virus Z or something. We have to live with the stupid people so their reactions is a reflection on us by what our governments do. 

9 hours ago, mountainpd said:

How bad is it that side of the pond? Is it worse than being reported or not?

With the news that flights have been cancelled from europe except the uk i wonder how long it will be until the uk joins the list.

I actually think all international travel should be banned for a period with the exception of critical to try and contain and understand it more, Selfishly i am supposed to be flying in from the UK on the 9th of April so hope it isn't suspended.

As @Thelonebillsfan already mentioned, part of the problem seems to be the under testing that is happening here. Hopefully as more testing become available, we get a more accurate picture of what's going on and can get on the right path to recovery.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/03/12/814522489/singapore-wins-praise-for-its-covid-19-strategy-the-u-s-does-not

So how has the United States' response been?

"Our response is much, much worse than almost any other country that's been affected," Jha says.

He uses the words "stunning," "fiasco" and "mind-blowing" to describe how bad it is.

"And I don't understand it," he says incredulously. "I still don't understand why we don't have extensive testing. Vietnam! Vietnam has tested more people than America has." (He's citing data from earlier this week. The U.S. has since started testing more widely, although exact figures still aren't available at a national level.)

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention started screening overseas travelers for coronavirus in mid-January. But the initial test kits developed by the CDC were flawed, and it took weeks to sort out the problems. It's only this week that wide-scale testing has started to become available in the United States.

Jha believes that the weekslong delay in deploying tests — at a time when numerous other tests were available around the world — has completely hampered the U.S. response to this crisis.

"Without testing, you have no idea how extensive the infection is. You can't isolate people. You can't do anything," he says. "And so then we're left with a completely different set of choices. We have to shut schools, events and everything down, because that's the only tool available to us until we get testing back up. It's been stunning to me how bad the federal response has been."

He says right now there are probably five to 10 times as many cases out in the community as have actually been detected. Until these individuals are found, they are likely to infect more people, he says, and the outbreak in the United States is just going to continue to grow.

Hong Kong, which began testing in January and has been right up against the epicenter of the global outbreak, had only confirmed 126 cases through March 10. On that same day the U.S. reported twice that number for the previous 24 hours.

2 minutes ago, drd23 said:

Where do you think "research" or "treatment options" come from?

Science is incremental.  You don't have "nothing", and then have "the answer".  There is a lot of steps and a lot of data generated along the way. 

And given the necessity for experts to provide guidance and advice to try and reduce the severity of this pandemic, they can only base said advice on the information they have at hand.  Would you rather they say "We don't know. You do you.  We'll get back to you once we have the answer, even if it means thousands of people die in the mean time"

He is talking as if it's a catastrophe that is going to happen when there is nothing set in stone yet. "The scientific data supports this"

And I never said the answer just magically appears but we already have method's of dealing with thing's like this that has worked with countless other disease's and yet people still think that is not enough and we need to be more extreme and that is paranoia. Will extra precautions by the individual stop the virus? No but it can slow it down immensely until a suitable treatment is found. 

3 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

Why are we discussing this on a football site? What are there 3 threads for this? Why do these viruses come out every 2 years? Why has this virus been referenced in books? Was this virus manufactured and released into the public on purpose? Has China apologized for all the people they are killing?

I sincerely hope that you aren’t suggesting that China created this intentionally. That’s one of the more culturally insensitive, conspiracy driven posts I’ve seen on this site.

• Like 3