COVID-19: NFL tells employees to work from home

RaidersAreOne

6 hours ago, GSUeagles14 said:

can someone explain the  toilet paper thing to me. why do people think buyimg charmin in bulk is essential?

At this rate it's snowball effect.  Some people took this as the next big doomsday prep effort, and then you got people who showed up to a warehouse store and saw that the tp was either out or that it was running low and tons of people checking out had more tp than they could clearly use in the period that a person would logically be buying for in a single Costco/Sam's Club trip, so they felt compelled to buy (because those other people clearly had to know something - this is the same way peer pressure works and crap like "Mambo #5  becomes a cult phenomenon).  Then you get the people who, further down the hill in the snowball, see all this going on and start thinking, "Well, crap, I'm going to need toilet paper at some point and all these twits are buying up everything in sight, I better lay hands on the stuff while I can even though I wasn't planning on stocking up until my next trip here, because if this continues I there might not be any left for me."  Etc.  Etc.  Etc.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, iknowcool said:

Unless you just haven't been reading the news, I don't get how you can say this.  It might not be serious for you, but it certainly could be for others, and it is in everyone's best interests to prevent its spread.  

Especially older folk. My mother asked today if she could have the kids for the weekend and I told her no because my daughter has a cold and my grandmother, who practically lives there, is 91 years old and I didn't wanna chance it. 

5 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Honestly, best I can tell, it started with stupid people in a panic. Which then led to a concern of shortages, so then the calmer crowd also kind of has to panic buy out of fear of not even having access to normal toilet paper quantities.

Like, personally, toilet paper is incredibly low on the list of panic buys if I thought there'd be a quarantine situation. But, since everyone was buying out stores, I now have to be concerned of if it's there for just my normal life. So I now have one more pack than I normally would. Just because.

Yeah, i have two women in the house - plus my mother-in-law on a fairly regular visit schedule - I just opted to go the smart route and buy the $25 bidet attachments off of Amazon and install them on the toilets.  Problem solved.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, drd23 said:

All signs point to it only going getting worse over the next couple of months, so unless the sports/events that have been suspended can re-start in July or August, I don't see how they aren't "cancelled"

I don't see why they can't.

NY Times - Officials at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and epidemic experts from universities around the world conferred last month about what might happen if the new coronavirus gained a foothold in the United States. How many people might die? How many would be infected and need hospitalization?

The C.D.C.’s scenarios were depicted in terms of percentages of the population. Translated into absolute numbers by independent experts using simple models of how viruses spread, the worst-case figures would be staggering if no actions were taken to slow transmission.

Between 160 million and 214 million people in the U.S. could be infected over the course of the epidemic, according to one projection. That could last months or even over a year, with infections concentrated in shorter periods, staggered across time in different communities, experts said. As many as 200,000 to 1.7 million people could die.

/////

Stay safe. Be prudent. Be well.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

I don't see why they can't.

ncaa- (some) students will have graduated and taken jobs elsewhere. Unfair to ask them to then have to quit the job to come play

nhl- most stadiums can't keep ice in form in June; would be even worse in July/August (DC, Dallas, anywhere that it gets 95+).   

nba/nhl - restarting in july/august would take until december to finish full season/playoffs . What happens to 2020-2021 season?

all- stadiums often book concerts , conferences, etc other events.  Going to tell the people who paid to book the venue to "f off" ?

etc

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Ohio closed all schools for 3 weeks in the state starting Monday. Needless to say, my kids are excited.

Yeah til they have to make up those 3 weeks and it cuts in to their summer break. That’s what happened to us anyways when the hurricanes hit FL in the early-mid 2000’s.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BayRaider said:

You are correct but we need to do all we can to prevent this from spreading to 65+ people. This kills the elderly at a much higher rate than the Flu. About 7%. And 10% in Smokers/Elderly combination. 

Yep.  That's why I said, "it's good to take precautions."

7 hours ago, The LBC said:

Yeah, i have two women in the house - plus my mother-in-law on a fairly regular visit schedule - I just opted to go the smart route and buy the $25 bidet attachments off of Amazon and install them on the toilets.  Problem solved.

So are you saying that by getting the bidet attachments, your mother-in-law doesn't visit anymore?  xD 

13 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Basically the “Active” Cases push the mortality rate from 7% to 3%, which is basically twisting the results and not accurate. The active cases shouldn’t count at all. 

In closed cases (65,000 people) 93% recovered and 7% died. 

In Active Cases (75,000 people) 90% are in mild condition and 10% are in critical condition (5-7% of those critical will probably die). 

The real number is 6-7%. Don’t let the Active Cases skew the results. 

how many people have it, dont know, nevee get tested and are fine? how much of that % was more early on before people really knew what it was and/or doctors could handle it? why are you saying up to 7% of those critical will die?

your post is part of the problem. yes this is serious, yes people need to be careful. no people souldnt spread bs and personal opinion with little basis to fact, its partly why people are buying atores out of tp. why? no one really knows.

1 hour ago, SlevinKelevra said:

ncaa- (some) students will have graduated and taken jobs elsewhere. Unfair to ask them to then have to quit the job to come play

At the same time, I think most organizations would make exceptions for something of this nature. I'm a manager with hiring authority at a Fortune 100 software company - if one of my new hires asked for PTO to compete in the tourney... I'd more than give it to them, I'd make sure that we'd celebrate it with a mini pep rally and set up a way for the team to watch him or her playing.

nhl- most stadiums can't keep ice in form in June; would be even worse in July/August (DC, Dallas, anywhere that it gets 95+).   

This is fair, but I think it's still doable - ice rinks in the Houston Galleria run year-round, and Houston gets hotter than any NHL city. There are probably more logistics involved... but it's doable ultimately.

nba/nhl - restarting in july/august would take until december to finish full season/playoffs . What happens to 2020-2021 season?

I mean, nobody is expecting to pick up where they left off. When we get to our rolling restart, go straight into the playoffs - go best of five instead of best of seven. It's not the same as last year, but it's a different circumstances (think we can agree this level of response doesn't happen often).

all- stadiums often book concerts , conferences, etc other events.  Going to tell the people who paid to book the venue to "f off" ?

This makes sense, but there's options for alternate sites. Alternate sites were discussed before the lockdowns began.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ET80 said:

This is fair, but I think it's still doable - ice rinks in the Houston Galleria run year-round, and Houston gets hotter than any NHL city. There are probably more logistics involved... but it's doable ultimately.

I mean, technically, no. Everyone always forgets AZ. In Houston's two hottest months, July and August, the average high is 91 degrees. In Phoenix, it's a full 14-15 degrees hotter on average, with AVERAGE highs in July and August totaling 106 and 105, respectively.

https://www.google.com/search?safe=strict&client=ms-android-sprint-us-revc&sxsrf=ALeKk01PsnRE3F7K7pm7JDjtsaZuZvycKA%3A1584113566079&ei=nqdrXq22BIGgsQXEiLDgBA&q=average+temperature+phoenix&oq=average+temperature+phoenix&gs_l=mobile-gws-wiz-serp.3..0i20i263l2j0l6.12656.25277..25822...3.1..2.543.8312.0j12j19j4j0j1......0....1.........0i71j35i39j46i67j0i67j46i67i275j46j0i131j0i10.QDoshxM_DLc

https://www.google.com/search?q=average+temperature+houston&oq=average+temperature+houston&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l3.6707j1j9&client=ms-android-sprint-us-revc&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8