COVID-19: NFL tells employees to work from home

RaidersAreOne

35 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

You're right, it isn't.

Death toll on average every year for the flu is 56K.

Corona has yet to hit 5K

Shouldn't have compared the two at all. 

One infected nurse showing no symptoms went to work at a Nursing home and 10 residents were dead within a few days.

Pretty sure the response has been justified. So far seems like this thing spreads faster, wider, and hits vulnerable people harder. Whole point of everything is to flatten the infection rate to prevent overwhelming medical capacity (harming people with OTHER MEDICAL ISSUES) and to prevent the unintentional spread of it to concentrated places of vulnerable individuals. 

Edited by animaltested

10 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

While I agree in a macro sense, youre ignoring that corona is spreading way faster. as I and others have already said, we need to flatten the rate in which this spreads. Once we do, then people can ho hum about it in my completely unqualified opinion.

It does spread faster I know. And I agree we need more info but that was kinda my point about why don't people get this frantic over flu season? Fact is we don't know much about this as admitted by the CDC. So saying it's deadly and the end of the world when we have not seen it cause the amount of damage that the common flu has is overreacting. Taking extra precautions like washing your hands more and such is never a bad thing. But they wanna treat this like the new HIV scare, this outbreak doesn't even have the statistics to put it past the swineflu outbreak. 

15 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

That's not how it works dude 

Oh yea please tell me how it works and what you are debating.

Let me give you my side, from everything we know and from the CDC's own mouth this virus is comparable to the flu. From what they know, it doesn't even seem to be an airborne virus which is huge in cases like these meaning this spreads much like that does until we know more.

So if we were to approach this the same as flu season and just use extra precautions (which the CDC has said does work from what they can tell) then most of the virus can be prevented from transferring. But people want to go insane and pretend this is the new AIDS epidemic, without reading the information and instead give into the fear propaganda being put on by the news of mass hysteria instead of just educating the people of treating this like any other winter virus until we actually know more about it. 

Here are the big differences:

1. The two week incubation period is large and makes it easier to spread without even knowing you have it or showing symptoms

2. Because of its ease of spread (not speed, although that is a factor), the rate of spread will increase in all likelihood WITHOUT cancelling these events.

3. If these precautions are not taken by limiting mass gatherings and trying to curb spread, it can easily overtake flu or swine flu in terms of cases and deaths. The goal is to make it NOT as big as those two, which are not NEARLY as communicable as this is. 

4. There isnt a vaccine or agreed upon treatment like there is for the flu and swine flu

5. There is still A LOT not known about this virus. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

From what they know, it doesn't even seem to be an airborne virus which is huge in cases like these meaning this spreads much like that does until we know more.

I was on a call today (I work in the healthcare field) that stated the virus can survive 1-2 weeks on any solid surface. If its wet, it can survive indefinitely, they believe. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Deadpulse said:

I was on a call today (I work in the healthcare field) that stated the virus can survive 1-2 weeks on any surface. 

Really? I was reading an article about 20 minutes that says it may be only to live up to 3 days.

Where exactly did you hear that from cause that would definitely change things. 

1 minute ago, Calvert28 said:

Really? I was reading an article about 20 minutes that says it may be only to live up to 3 days.

Where exactly did you hear that from cause that would definitely change things. 

The call was hosted by the State of NH Department of Health and Human Services. 

EDIT: I will mention as well, no one is 100% sure how this spreads, only that it spreads EASILY and that the lack of symptoms in the first two weeks intensifies that GREATLY and unprecedentedly. 

14 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

But people want to go insane and pretend this is the new AIDS epidemic, without reading the information and instead give into the fear propaganda being put on by the news of mass hysteria instead of just educating the people of treating this like any other winter virus until we actually know more about it. 

Like, where is this coming from? I'm living in ground zero (King County, Washington) for the US portion of this outbreak, and there are literally been none of this. 

And most if not all advice has literally been that. Wash your hands, stay home if you feel ill, avoid large groups, don't touch your face. 

Edited by animaltested

24 minutes ago, animaltested said:

One infected nurse showing no symptoms went to work at a Nursing home and 10 residents were dead within a few days.

Pretty sure the response has been justified. So far seems like this thing spreads faster, wider, and hits vulnerable people harder. Whole point of everything is to flatten the infection rate to prevent overwhelming medical capacity (harming people with OTHER MEDICAL ISSUES) and to prevent the unintentional spread of it to concentrated places of vulnerable individuals. 

Damnit!  This pandemic is going to end up forcing me to like you, isn't it?

14 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Oh yea please tell me how it works and what you are debating.

Let me give you my side, from everything we know and from the CDC's own mouth this virus is comparable to the flu. From what they know, it doesn't even seem to be an airborne virus which is huge in cases like these meaning this spreads much like that does until we know more.

So if we were to approach this the same as flu season and just use extra precautions (which the CDC has said does work from what they can tell) then most of the virus can be prevented from transferring. But people want to go insane and pretend this is the new AIDS epidemic, without reading the information and instead give into the fear propaganda being put on by the news of mass hysteria instead of just educating the people of treating this like any other winter virus until we actually know more about it. 

Nobody is going insane, measures are being put in to stop the spread so services aren't overloaded and the mortality rate amongst at-risk patients can be kept to a minimum. It's not difficult. 

• Like 1

Just now, animaltested said:

Hey its the off-season. Rams-Seahawks mud flinging can be put on hold. DJ Fluker will be NOT holding Aaron Donald soon enough.

Yeah.  I look at it this way, Seahawks fans have, not-so-indirectly, saved me from the mental anguish of having my mind numbed by Turf Show Times.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Nobody is going insane, measures are being put in to stop the spread so services aren't overloaded and the mortality rate amongst at-risk patients can be kept to a minimum. It's not difficult. 

It's like the concept of preventive maintenance is completely foreign to people.  (Sadly, I'm pretty sure it is.)

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Bruh people are fighting over toilet paper, and Biden or Bernie just said this is equivalent to a major war. People are going crazy.

• Like 2