COVID-19: NFL tells employees to work from home

RaidersAreOne

6 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

It's easy to say that when the season doesn't start until September.  Hopefully, things are much better by then.  I can tell you almost for certain that if the league started this month or next, the start would probably be moved back.

Just now, showtime said:

It's easy to say that when the season doesn't start until September.  Hopefully, things are much better by then.  I can tell you almost for certain that if the league started this month or next, the start would probably be moved back.

They mean the FA period, draft, etc. as well.

• Like 1

Just now, HTTRDynasty said:

They mean the FA period, draft, etc. as well.

Ah, I see.  I said in NFL Gen the Draft will still happen as scheduled.  It just might not be in-person, like the draft typically is.  They can stream a draft event where people at home can see the players getting drafted, but fans and stuff won't be allowed in.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, mountainpd said:

How bad is it that side of the pond? Is it worse than being reported or not?

With the news that flights have been cancelled from europe except the uk i wonder how long it will be until the uk joins the list.

I actually think all international travel should be banned for a period with the exception of critical to try and contain and understand it more, Selfishly i am supposed to be flying in from the UK on the 9th of April so hope it isn't suspended.

its tough to say to be honest. theres people on both sides either down playing it or making too big of a deal about to try and sway the upcoming election.

its impossible to know the real #, theres very likely people who have it who have no clue and it passes in a week or whatever. quite frankly the biggest concern is trying to flatten the rate that it spreads, once thats under control you should see a lot if the panic die down but it will likely take at least a month.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

We are vastly under-testing here so yeah probably.

You would think a world leader and powerhouse like the US would have been better prepared to handle a potential outbreak like what is happening right now.

I guess they didn't take what was happening in China overly serious.  Same with countries like Italy & Iran.

Hate it for the small school guys that go to these big pro days and get discovered and for the medical reds that don't get re-checked now and could be taken off boards.

Don't teams have private jets? I get that most of the time these prospects and scouts fly commercial but in a situation like this where there's currently minimal risk to chartering a private flight, don't see why that route isn't being explored. Obviously every team would have to have one in order for this to work.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Cause people don't understand or care to understand that the world is about all of us, not just them. And that preventing something from getting incredibly bad even if it means sacrificing some things for literally just a few months is asking them to like, cut off a limb.

This ^

• Like 1

Man, now imagine how this will affect a league like the XFL - which, to this point, has been a stellar product. The XFL is only halfway through their season, so COVID-19 could REALLY mess things up if they have to suspend operation during their inaugural season.

1 hour ago, showtime said:

Ah, I see.  I said in NFL Gen the Draft will still happen as scheduled.  It just might not be in-person, like the draft typically is.  They can stream a draft event where people at home can see the players getting drafted, but fans and stuff won't be allowed in.

They literally used to do the draft over the phone, so there's no reason it can't happen even if we have no more than 2 people in the same room at a time.  There's just two issues to consider-

1) Teams are going to be working with less information as pro-days, prospect visits, combine rechecks, etc. are cancelled.
2) How are they going to package this as an entertainment product?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

You would think a world leader and powerhouse like the US would have been better prepared to handle a potential outbreak like what is happening right now.

I guess they didn't take what was happening in China overly serious.  Same with countries like Italy & Iran.

One thing to remember is that unless you are a baby or a senior citizen, it's really not all that serious.  It's comparable to the flu.  Nobody likes getting the flu, but it's not like we're talking about the bubonic plague here.  If you get it, you will be sick for a week and that's about it.  That's what I have been told by a friend who is an RN in a hospital emergency room.  It's good to take precautions, but there is no need to panic.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

One thing to remember is that unless you are a baby or a senior citizen, it's really not all that serious.  It's comparable to the flu

Big difference is that the flu has been in circulation for our entire lifetimes and most people have some sort of natural resistance to it (plus there's a flu vaccine every year that you absolutely should get).  Covid-19 is completely new and nobody has any sort of built in resistance to it.  Most people are going to be fine, but the problem is if there are more people who simultaneously require medical attention than we have the capacity to treat (and the U.S. medical system is comparatively low capacity.)  Like a broken arm is NBD ultimately, but if a third of Americans broke their arm on the same day then hospitals would become war zones and a huge number of people wouldn't be able to get treatment.

The whole idea is to try to flatten the infection curve.  If the same number of people get it, but it's spread over a longer period of time (i.e. the virus transmission is slowed due to things like social distancing) then everybody who needs medical attention will be able to get it.  If everybody in your city gets it at the same time, there are probably more elderly, immunosuppressed, people with comorbidities, etc. than the local medical infrastructure will be able to treat.

• Like 10