COVID-19: NFL tells employees to work from home

RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, iknowcool said:

Unless you just haven't been reading the news, I don't get how you can say this.  It might not be serious for you, but it certainly could be for others, and it is in everyone's best interests to prevent its spread.  

Then I wonder why people don't this crazy over flu season.

2 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Big difference is that the flu has been in circulation for our entire lifetimes and most people have some sort of natural resistance to it (plus there's a flu vaccine every year that you absolutely should get).  Covid-19 is completely new and nobody has any sort of built in resistance to it.  Most people are going to be fine, but the problem is if there are more people who simultaneously require medical attention than we have the capacity to treat (and the U.S. medical system is comparatively low capacity.)  Like a broken arm is NBD ultimately, but if a third of Americans broke their arm on the same day then hospitals would become war zones and a huge number of people wouldn't be able to get treatment.

The whole idea is to try to flatten the infection curve.  If the same number of people get it, but it's spread over a longer period of time (i.e. the virus transmission is slowed due to things like social distancing) then everybody who needs medical attention will be able to get it.  If everybody in your city gets it at the same time, there are probably more elderly, immunosuppressed, people with comorbidities, etc. than the local medical infrastructure will be able to treat.

Those are good points.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

You vastly overestimate my care or concern for other people. Give me my sports!

No.  At least I'm not.  You'd probably be proud to know, Ruskie, that you've had quite the influence (and justification) in my belief that a majority of people, despite what they want to argue otherwise, are that thing that people are stocking up on toilet paper in order to wipe.

• Like 2

Just now, Uncle Buck said:
3 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Big difference is that the flu has been in circulation for our entire lifetimes and most people have some sort of natural resistance to it (plus there's a flu vaccine every year that you absolutely should get).  Covid-19 is completely new and nobody has any sort of built in resistance to it.  Most people are going to be fine, but the problem is if there are more people who simultaneously require medical attention than we have the capacity to treat (and the U.S. medical system is comparatively low capacity.)  Like a broken arm is NBD ultimately, but if a third of Americans broke their arm on the same day then hospitals would become war zones and a huge number of people wouldn't be able to get treatment.

The whole idea is to try to flatten the infection curve.  If the same number of people get it, but it's spread over a longer period of time (i.e. the virus transmission is slowed due to things like social distancing) then everybody who needs medical attention will be able to get it.  If everybody in your city gets it at the same time, there are probably more elderly, immunosuppressed, people with comorbidities, etc. than the local medical infrastructure will be able to treat.

Those are good points.

It's almost like it's... logic...!

giphy.gif

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, The LBC said:

No.  At least I'm not.  You'd probably be proud to know, Ruskie, that you've had quite the influence (and justification) in my belief that a majority of people, despite what they want to argue otherwise, are that thing that people are stocking up on toilet paper in order to wipe.

giphy.gif

Haven't felt this disappointed in years.

57 minutes ago, HoboRocket said:

Man, now imagine how this will affect a league like the XFL - which, to this point, has been a stellar product. The XFL is only halfway through their season, so COVID-19 could REALLY mess things up if they have to suspend operation during their inaugural season.

That’s a bit strong. Pleasant surprise perhaps. 

7 minutes ago, SlevinKelevra said:

because in the "flu season", the % of people infected who are requiring acute hospitalization is not as high as it is with this.

The people who "require" hospitalization may not even need hospitalization. The CDC themselves have already said they are not sure how dangerous this is but have described it in a comparison with the flu. 

1 minute ago, navysaintsfan said:

This isn't the flu, stop being obtuse. Look at what is happening around the world.

You're right, it isn't.

Death toll on average every year for the flu is 56K.

Corona has yet to hit 5K

Shouldn't have compared the two at all. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

You're right, it isn't.

Death toll on average every year for the flu is 56K.

Corona has yet to hit 5K

Shouldn't have compared the two at all. 

While I agree in a macro sense, youre ignoring that corona is spreading way faster. as I and others have already said, we need to flatten the rate in which this spreads. Once we do, then people can ho hum about it in my completely unqualified opinion.