Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

@Tugboat,

The crazy thing to me, was that it was tons of like...short-term spoil stuff that was gone most places.  Like Milk and Fruits don't last that long.  If you have to hunker down, i guess maybe get a last hurrah in...but lol.  You can't hoard that stuff.

Fairlife brand milk.

It costs over twice as much as cheap milk, but expires WAY later.  I have a couple gallons of it (hopefully getting more today).  It expires July 6th.  Bought that a month ago. 

And freeze bananas. 

3 minutes ago, Dome said:

I don’t like milk all that more, and I definitely don’t like milk that’s been frozen. My grandma used to do that and it’s noticable

no idea about cheeses and yogurts 

I’m not saying it’s good, just extends expiration and nutritional value.  I’m a lactose free guy myself.

Cheese freezes really well. I work at a country club restaraunt and it doesn’t lose much flavor or consistency. Queso Fresco and goat cheese both work well after freezing.

no idea on yogurt but I doubt it thaws how you want it too.

Edited by Chiefer
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

What do people think of the speculation that the Coronavirus has already hit way before this?  I was reading some speculation that this came around this time last year and my own personal experience has me hoping it's true.  February 2019 I was hit with the NASTIEST respiratory infection and nastiest sickness of my life.  Tested negative for influenza, but I felt like I was going to die.  So much phlegm I could fill a milk gallon, zero energy, zero appetite.  Had to be put on steroids to recover.  

Same time February this year same thing.  Only difference this year is that I've been taking Allegra and it kept my sinuses from being way loaded.  Managed to recover in about a week. 

Wishful thinking? 

I’m no expert but this virus produces a dry cough. If you had lots of phlegm it likely wasn’t Covid 19.

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

@Tugboat,

Fairlife brand milk.

It costs over twice as much as cheap milk, but expires WAY later.  I have a couple gallons of it (hopefully getting more today).  It expires July 6th.  Bought that a month ago. 

And freeze bananas. 

fairlife chocolate milk is a special treat i get myself from time to time.. lactose free too. 

Edited by Dome
  • Like 1

Just now, diehardlionfan said:

I’m no expert but this virus produces a dry cough. If you had lots of phlegm it likely wasn’t Covid 19.

I've seen several sites (local news, webmd, cnn) reporting that lots of phlegm doesn't mean it's not covid, it's just not the most common symptom

1 minute ago, diehardlionfan said:

I hadn’t heard that. I follow the breathing impacts closely. 

fwiw - https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20200310/know-the-symptoms-of-covid19

The most detailed breakdown of symptoms of the disease comes from a recent World Health Organization analysis of more than 55,000 confirmed cases in China. Here are the most common symptoms and the percentage of people who had them:

• Fever: 88%
  • Dry cough: 68%
  • Fatigue: 38%
  • Coughing up sputum, or thick phlegm, from the lungs: 33%

•  
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

no idea on yogurt but I doubt it thaws how you want it too.

It works just fine. Sometimes I freeze it to eat it more like ice cream. Like fro-yo, perhaps? ;)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, theJ said:

It works just fine. Sometimes I freeze it to eat it more like ice cream. Like fro-yo, perhaps? ;)

i was under the impression that fro-yo was quite different than the yogurt you'd buy at the store.

But I'm also dealing with some severe learning disabilities.

Just now, Dome said:

i was under the impression that fro-yo was quite different than the yogurt you'd buy at the store.

But I'm also dealing with some severe learning disabilities.

I'm sure it is.  Probably a lot more sugar.  I was just being a little sarcastic, because i've been stuck in this house for 4 days straight.

Ok - serious time.  I have frozen yogurt.  It's not like fro-yo, but it's good.  But usually i open the package, whip it up first, then freeze for a few hours.  I don't leave it in there for weeks or months.  So i don't know how long it lasts or what happens to quality after that amount of time.

It is sort of like ice cream consistency though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, theJ said:

I'm sure it is.  Probably a lot more sugar.  I was just being a little sarcastic, because i've been stuck in this house for 4 days straight.

Ok - serious time.  I have frozen yogurt.  It's not like fro-yo, but it's good.  But usually i open the package, whip it up first, then freeze for a few hours.  I don't leave it in there for weeks or months.  So i don't know how long it lasts or what happens to quality after that amount of time.

It is sort of like ice cream consistency though.

when i was a kid we froze those go-gurt tubes... so good.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

Based on current known cases, left unchecked that’s over 4.5 million cases in 30 days.

I hope the restrictions on movement help, quickly.

If people follow the social distancing guidelines and not try to go to places where there will be large groups of people, the restrictions will help and we'll be able to return to "normal" soon (see China). 

If the "hoax" or "it won't affect me" mentality perseveres, going to make things a lot more difficult.