Panthers give permission for QB Cam Newton to seek trade

RaidersAreOne

39 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Thanks for the updates as always,greatly appreciated

But this is not some HUGE NEW DEVELOPMENT, its been known for months and we've had threads about it for months
The most recent thread is a month old, but there were others going even further back. It was an absolute certainty

As far as the physicals, the MDs can all see the film from the docs who did the original work and his current scans. Its a fair guess that whatever picks are traded will include a conditional for next year and that's exactly what Tepper wants - more 2021 draft ammo

3 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

If you don't have a starting QB, he's an attractive option. He's an easier sell than Tannehill was coming in 2019.

Well they both have/had equal injury concerns so that’s a wash.

Statistically they were also pretty equal across the board but Tannehill is WAY more accurate of a QB. I don’t mind someone giving the nod to Newton as a better sell than Tannehill in 2019, but his 2015 MVP season was not indicative at all of who he was consistently. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

Well they both have/had equal injury concerns so that’s a wash.

Statistically they were also pretty equal across the board but Tannehill is WAY more accurate of a QB. I don’t mind someone giving the nod to Newton as a better sell than Tannehill in 2019, but his 2015 MVP season was not indicative at all of who he was consistently. 

Their passing numbers are fairly comparable, but that discounts what Newton adds as a runner. Tannehill obviously saw a change of fortunes in a new environment. It's possible a change of scenery results in Newton performing significantly better too. There are no guarantees, but if you don't have a QB to rely on and aren't tanking, why not? Teams take worse chances every year at QB. 

3 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Their passing numbers are fairly comparable, but that discounts what Newton adds as a runner. Tannehill obviously saw a change of fortunes in a new environment. It's possible a change of scenery results in Newton performing significantly better too. There are no guarantees, but if you don't have a QB to rely on and aren't tanking, why not? Teams take worse chances every year at QB. 

It’s a chance no doubt, but how much can a team rely on him as a runner with his body breaking down? If he can’t run you’re screwed. I’d take my chances on a QB that’s more in the mold of Tannehill who’s better equipped to win from the pocket without the run gimmicks. Whoever trades for him will be foolish to give up anything more than a 5th imo.

Just now, dtait93 said:

It’s a chance no doubt, but how much can a team rely on him as a runner with his body breaking down? If he can’t run you’re screwed. I’d take my chances on a QB that’s more in the mold of Tannehill who’s better equipped to win from the pocket without the run gimmicks. Whoever trades for him will be foolish to give up anything more than a 5th imo.

Well, you need Newton to protect himself (and you obviously need to protect him too). He can still run. He just needs to limit the hits, like Russell Wilson does.

He needs to go to a run-heavy team that will take downfield shots off play-action. If he still has a good enough arm by his standards. He won't do well in any type of traditional rhythm offense because his short/intermediate touch/accuracy are subpar for a starting QB. Can't use him as a volume rusher. He has to get smarter protecting himself. It's very specific circumstances I could see Cam reviving his career (health permitted), but I think he has a shot.

• Like 1

Just now, jrry32 said:

Well, you need Newton to protect himself (and you obviously need to protect him too). He can still run. He just needs to limit the hits, like Russell Wilson does.

It’s hard to protect yourself on designed runs where he’s the glorified RB. It’s also a lot easier for these world class athletes to hit a lumbering 6-5 245 lb guy than it is to hit a 5-11 215 lb agile guy. I don’t see him changing his running style now that he’s basically a decade in to it. His massive ego won’t let him (Superman) and he’s still going to take those dumb chances in order to prove himself to his new teammates.

1 minute ago, dtait93 said:

It’s hard to protect yourself on designed runs where he’s the glorified RB. It’s also a lot easier for these world class athletes to hit a lumbering 6-5 245 lb guy than it is to hit a 5-11 215 lb agile guy. I don’t see him changing his running style now that he’s basically a decade in to it. His massive ego won’t let him (Superman) and he’s still going to take those dumb chances in order to prove himself to his new teammates.

Yeah, you need to not do those designed runs.

Edited by jrry32

Just now, jrry32 said:

Yeah, you need to not do those designed runs.

But isn’t that a huge reason why he is who he is? Take that away from him and demanding him to protect himself and now we have to discount him as a runner. Either way, if you take it away he’s still going to run a lot because it’s just in his nature. His massive frame makes him an easy target no matter how hard he tries to protect himself.