Saints to sign veteran S Malcolm Jenkins

RaidersAreOne

Just the vet we needed in our secondary! Don’t care if he’s not what he once was, we need some leadership in the secondary.

He’ll take Vonn Bells spot and we don’t even have have to break up the OSU squad.

He had a 4 year 35 million dollar deal with Philly.

They gave him a bunch of up front money with bonuses and restructures.

He cried poor in the last year since the new cash was low. (duh, he already had much of it as an interest free advance, what a hardship!)

Great player. Great Leader. Left as a disgruntled employee. (his right to do what he did)

This is the downside of signing bonuses. I don't see how New Orleans gives him more that 8.75 million per year with their cap situation.

Even if he gets 7 a year he makes out in new money but he is happy with a team that paid him less per year than the Eagles. 

My advice is to not give him a big signing bonus or he may want a trade next year.

If the Saints get to underpay this guy who was mad at Philly for paying him early then its a fantastic deal for them.

Even though it ended badly, I loved everything about him as an Eagle and as a person. (even if I disagree with his rationale for leaving)

gettyimages-914353300.jpg

Edited by SkippyX

29 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

He had a 4 year 35 million dollar deal with Philly.

They gave him a bunch of up front money with bonuses and restructures.

He cried poor in the last year since the new cash was low. (duh, he already had much of it as an interest free advance, what a hardship!)

Great player. Great Leader. Left as a disgruntled employee. (his right to do what he did)

This is the downside of signing bonuses. I don't see how New Orleans gives him more that 8.75 million per year with their cap situation.

Even if he gets 7 a year he makes out in new money but he is happy with a team that paid him less per year than the Eagles. 

My advice is to not give him a big signing bonus or he may want a trade next year.

If the Saints get to underpay this guy who was mad at Philly for paying him early then its a fantastic deal for them.

Even though it ended badly, I loved everything about him as an Eagle and as a person. (even if I disagree with his rationale for leaving)

Saints cap situation isn't to bad. They reworked two contracts yesterday and Brees took a huge discount. With some releases or restructures they could easily add another player besides Jenkins and still pay him up to 10 million. Will likely be a 3 year deal with an average of 10 million and the 3rd year will void

22 minutes ago, Magnifico said:

Are they letting Vonn Bell go, whose going to be entering his prime, for someone 7 years old on a 4 year deal? Seems confusing.

Seems way too long a deal to be paying to a 32 year old safety.

Vonn Bell seemed like he was wanting 10+/yr and is more of a run stuffer than a coverage guy.  The NFC South is a lot less run focused as well now with Brady in Tampa, the Falcons already having an dynamic passing attack, and only the Panthers really being a RB focused team but even then CMC isn't really the type of runner that you need a run stuffer and just need good tackling.

Also the secondary needed some additional leadership and bringing Jenkins back to New Orleans will do that.  Also allows them to focus on other needs in the draft like LB.

2 hours ago, Magnifico said:

Are they letting Vonn Bell go, whose going to be entering his prime, for someone 7 years old on a 4 year deal? Seems confusing.

Seems way too long a deal to be paying to a 32 year old safety.

It’s a good question and certainly there is some risk. I think that Chauncey Gardner-Johnson may be figuring into the strategy. He’s probably the long-term answer at SS...guys a stud. In the meantime he’ll be used all over the defense. The Saints have a top 5 run stuffing unit...and I doubt that changes without Bell. Jenkins is the superior pass defender and his intelligence in the secondary is needed. The Saints defense had difficulty getting off the field on 3rd down last year. Jenkins will definitely helps with that.