The NOT Too Early 2018 NFL Draft Thread

turtle28

Saw this on rotoworld about Settle btw

NFL Media's Lance Zierlein compares Virginia Tech DT Tim Settle to former Patriots DT Vince Wilfork.

Lofty territory, and it speaks to Settle's (6'3/335) scintillating size/athleticism combination and upside. "Settle has rare gifts for a big man with good mass, play strength, quickness, and agility," Zierlein wrote. "He has the potential to become a very good starter with a Pro Bowl ceiling if he controls his weight and maintains his conditioning." An AFC defensive line coach broke Settle down to Zierlein thusly: "I need to watch him more but Bud (Foster) moved him around and I saw a guy who can play both nose spots, 3 (technique), 4, and maybe 5. Reminds me of when (Dontari) Poe came out. He ain't Poe, but he can play all over the line like Poe could."

In the bits I watched, I definitely saw the athleticism of Settle.. so much so, that I had to double back and verify his listed weight.

His movement skill was clearly superior to that of most 330 pound prospects. 

- assuming 4 QBs are off the board before #13 (not that I see Washington selecting one in rd 1 anyway)

- assuming off the board :

Saquon Barkley, Bradley Chubb, Minkah Fitzpatrick, Orlando Brown, Derwin James, Quenton Nelson, Mike McGlinchey, and Denzel Ward

What would be your top choice (or even top 5) for # 13 overall ? 

29 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

- assuming 4 QBs are off the board before #13 (not that I see Washington selecting one in rd 1 anyway)

- assuming off the board :

Saquon Barkley, Bradley Chubb, Minkah Fitzpatrick, Orlando Brown, Derwin James, Quenton Nelson, Mike McGlinchey, and Denzel Ward

What would be your top choice (or even top 5) for # 13 overall ? 

Hmmm.  My top 5, in order:

1. OLB Marcus Davenport, Texas-San Antonio

2. DT Da'Ron Payne, Alabama

3. WR Courtland Sutton, SMU

4. MLB Roquan Smith, Georgia

5. CB Joshua Jackson, Iowa

On 2/19/2018 at 4:52 PM, oldman9er said:

As I read through these posts, it makes me think of a defense-related article I read not so long ago. 

Long story short... so long as they deem a particular "NT" of these days as a legit 3 down player? I would have no problem seeing them add such a player in the top 50. 

Are the Redskins Really a 3-4 Defense Under Greg Manusky?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/are-the-redskins-really-a-3-4-defense-under-greg-manusky/ar-BBICmze

Yep, this has been the case for years. Definitely the last 3 years and even under Jim Haslett the redskins were in more 4 man fronts than 3 man fronts.

The bolded is why I’d like to see them take Da’ron Payne if he’s available at 13 and if they don’t upgrade the NT position in free agency before the draft. 

On 2/19/2018 at 4:52 PM, oldman9er said:

As I read through these posts, it makes me think of a defense-related article I read not so long ago. 

Long story short... so long as they deem a particular "NT" of these days as a legit 3 down player? I would have no problem seeing them add such a player in the top 50. 

Are the Redskins Really a 3-4 Defense Under Greg Manusky?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/are-the-redskins-really-a-3-4-defense-under-greg-manusky/ar-BBICmze

Okay, time to fess up, folks.

Who stole my ideas and published it under their name?

On 10/22/2017 at 7:23 PM, Woz said:

DraftTek has him going 4th (which feels a bit high) to the Colts (which feels stupid).

Yeah, I think the Colts take Bradley Chubb if Saquon Barkley is gone. The colts need a pass rush in the worst way. They actually have a few good young safeties with Hooker and TJ Green.

Archived