2020 NFL Draft: Discussion, Reports, Rumors, and Studies

jetskid007

3 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Oh I have my questions about Fant and Edoga. But I question them less than I question guys like Vyncent Smith and Josh Doctson. And I think guys like Fant and Edoga are a fit for us and on the rise where as the WR position is  A LOT of question marks. Crowder is the ONLY guy we can rely on in that whole group. And we are a team that will speeding out teams with receivers out there.

just curious of YOUR preference among these 3: Lamb-Jeudy-Ruggs.  Because I equivocate severely among them.  

Honestly I'd be happy with any of them. I think they are all slam dunk great WRs at the NFL level. I think Jeudy is the safest pick, that's why I have him 1. He has all the tools that translate to be a great NFL WR. An ELITE route runner already with speed and quickness. Great hands to go along with that. I do think he's 3rd on our WR board though. Lamb is the one who's pushing closer and closer to overtake that #1 spot for me. He plays bigger than Jeudy which could be helpful for a young QB. He gets separation but not like Jeudy or Ruggs. But wins contested catches better than them. His YAC is the best of the bunch (which Gase values). It's in a different way than Ruggs. Where Ruggs just kills you with speed. Where Lamb has that elite vision and strength and enough speed to go with that. Ruggs I'd be 100% happy with as well. But he's 3rd for me. His speed can't be coached and he's a lot better route runner than he's given credit for as well as he plays bigger than his smaller size. You can't go wrong with either of them. I'd be happy with any of the 3. Wills is the only OT on my board that I see as a slam dunk like these 3 WRs.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Honestly I'd be happy with any of them. I think they are all slam dunk great WRs at the NFL level. I think Jeudy is the safest pick, that's why I have him 1. He has all the tools that translate to be a great NFL WR. An ELITE route runner already with speed and quickness. Great hands to go along with that. I do think he's 3rd on our WR board though. Lamb is the one who's pushing closer and closer to overtake that #1 spot for me. He plays bigger than Jeudy which could be helpful for a young QB. He gets separation but not like Jeudy or Ruggs. But wins contested catches better than them. His YAC is the best of the bunch (which Gase values). It's in a different way than Ruggs. Where Ruggs just kills you with speed. Where Lamb has that elite vision and strength and enough speed to go with that. Ruggs I'd be 100% happy with as well. But he's 3rd for me. His speed can't be coached and he's a lot better route runner than he's given credit for as well as he plays bigger than his smaller size. You can't go wrong with either of them. I'd be happy with any of the 3. Wills is the only OT on my board that I see as a slam dunk like these 3 WRs.

I could not agree more, I am really worried that we are going to miss out on any of the three you mention. If we don't get one early by the time we pick at 48 they will all be gone. If we want Darnold to improve we must get him a real playmaker. The question we have to ask ourselves do we want a second tier O lineman or a first tier WR

Edited by doumeyer
  • Like 1

If we had actual options at WR I would mess around and take a WR later, but we have no one. I want a WR who can start day 1. I believe that Lamb and Jeudy are those guys, they are NFL ready and usual drafts they would be locks in the top 10. But this draft they may slide due to other factors. 

Alabama has had success producing NFL studs at WR, I think Jeudy is the next one to follow Cooper and Jones. 

The best Jets offense I remember was a team that had a average OL but fantastic WRs that made plays. Having a true #1 WR can make a QB better.  I rather not risk it and go after guys like KJ Hamler who may or may not be good in the NFL.

Watching Jeudy and Lamb, I think they are significantly more ready than any other WRs. Jeudy day 1 is one of the best route runners in football, he glides on a football field.  I want Sam to have a legit WR to grow with, not the average guys he had so far. Fact is we look at offenses differently when they have a #1 WR that is a tough cover. 

Marquise Brown did pretty good as a rookie, made explosive plays. And I think Lamb is a better overall WR than he is.  What I love about Lamb is he plays tough, he makes blocks, he makes amazing adjustments and catches, hes gonna help his QB out.  Lamb is one of those guys a QB doesn't have to make a perfect pass to, he'll help the QB out with adjustments and fighting for the ball, usually winning making contested grabs and highlight catches.  IF we added one of these WRs I'd look at our offense differently, I'd think Sam has more of a chance at throwing for 30+ TDs and 4,000+ yards next season. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:

I was watching Lamb vs Alabama from a year ago, and I couldn't help but notice Quinnen Williams consistently blowing through the middle and causing Murray to take off. Man I hope he steps up and plays like that for us. 

Yeah, me too.  We invested huge draft capital in him.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

I could not agree more, I am really worried that we are going to miss out on any of the three you mention. If we don't get one early by the time we pick at 48 they will all be gone. If we want Darnold to improve we must get him a real playmaker. The question we have to ask ourselves do we want a second tier O lineman or a first tier WR

Long time reader, seldom poster. However, I think the debate between OT or WR in rd 1 is fascinating. I have a couple of thoughts on what I would do vs. what I think Douglas does (spoiler: I think we have same approach):

We all love these WRs, they are polished, pro-ready, game-changing. Will these WRs help out Darnold? absolutely 100%. But I have some concerns on it:

1. Our playcaller. I have zero confidence that Gase will be able to maximize any of their talent. Remember in Miami, he had a Top 10 WR in Devante Parker who looked like a bust until last year sans Gase.

2. Offseason schedule. Normally these guys would have rookie minicamp, OTAs and then Training Camp to learn the playbook and get up to speed. Obviously with the pandemic, we will see drastic changes to that. I have concerns that the continuity and timing will be off.

3. Philosophy. I think this one is most telling. Joe Douglas believes in building the trenches. He has said so in his multiple press conferences. He also comes from an executive tree that has those same feelings.  My dates may be off on this, but he has worked with the Ravens, Bears and Eagles. If my memory serves me correctly, only three WRs were drafted Rd 1 by those teams.

Ravens--Hollywood Brown and Breshad Perriman

Bears--Kevin White

In fact, I think this understanding further cements our approach to the draft. Let's use the Ravens as an example. Great team, #1 seed in AFC last year. Below is their WR/TE group from last year.

Hollywood Brown, Miles Boykin, Willie Snead, Seth Roberts, Jaleel Scott, DeAnthony Thomas, Mark Andrews, Hayden Hurst, Nick Boyle.

Outside of Brown and Andrews, you can make that case that this may be the worst collection of pass catchers in the NFL. 

So what made the Ravens so good? First, obviously coach and game planning but also a great offensive line (and running game) coupled with a playmaker in Lamar Jackson. Now I am not comparing Darnold to Jackson, but we all believe here that Darnold can be special given the right situation. I think the situation starts with building an offensive line that can support a running game. The weapons will come after.

In closing, I believe that one way or another, our first round pick will be an OT, which one is anyone's guess but I think Douglas would be content with any of the big 4. In the event all are gone, Jets will trade down and look at Jones/Jackson.

There is a ton of talent in this draft at WR. I don't think any of us would be mad with a top 4 OT in round 1 and a combination of any of the below receivers in rds 2-3:

Pittman, Reagor, Hamler, Aiyuk, Shenault, Higgins, Claypool, Edwards, Van Jefferson, Bowden, Duvernay, DPJ, Gabe Davis.....I can go on and on. 

Pretty simple to me, pick will be OT.

What I will say is that I do think people should really look into the OT guys and see who they're comfortable with (bc whether you like it or not that's what the odds are we draft). I've done this and have decided that I would love Wills, would be happy with Wirfs and Thomas and wouldn't be upset, but wouldn't be happy with Becton at 11. Anyone else is a reach for me and I would be upset with (i.e. Jones, Jackson, Cleveland, Wilson).

6 minutes ago, BJets512 said:

Long time reader, seldom poster. However, I think the debate between OT or WR in rd 1 is fascinating. I have a couple of thoughts on what I would do vs. what I think Douglas does (spoiler: I think we have same approach):

We all love these WRs, they are polished, pro-ready, game-changing. Will these WRs help out Darnold? absolutely 100%. But I have some concerns on it:

1. Our playcaller. I have zero confidence that Gase will be able to maximize any of their talent. Remember in Miami, he had a Top 10 WR in Devante Parker who looked like a bust until last year sans Gase.

2. Offseason schedule. Normally these guys would have rookie minicamp, OTAs and then Training Camp to learn the playbook and get up to speed. Obviously with the pandemic, we will see drastic changes to that. I have concerns that the continuity and timing will be off.

3. Philosophy. I think this one is most telling. Joe Douglas believes in building the trenches. He has said so in his multiple press conferences. He also comes from an executive tree that has those same feelings.  My dates may be off on this, but he has worked with the Ravens, Bears and Eagles. If my memory serves me correctly, only three WRs were drafted Rd 1 by those teams.

Ravens--Hollywood Brown and Breshad Perriman

Bears--Kevin White

In fact, I think this understanding further cements our approach to the draft. Let's use the Ravens as an example. Great team, #1 seed in AFC last year. Below is their WR/TE group from last year.

Hollywood Brown, Miles Boykin, Willie Snead, Seth Roberts, Jaleel Scott, DeAnthony Thomas, Mark Andrews, Hayden Hurst, Nick Boyle.

Outside of Brown and Andrews, you can make that case that this may be the worst collection of pass catchers in the NFL. 

So what made the Ravens so good? First, obviously coach and game planning but also a great offensive line (and running game) coupled with a playmaker in Lamar Jackson. Now I am not comparing Darnold to Jackson, but we all believe here that Darnold can be special given the right situation. I think the situation starts with building an offensive line that can support a running game. The weapons will come after.

In closing, I believe that one way or another, our first round pick will be an OT, which one is anyone's guess but I think Douglas would be content with any of the big 4. In the event all are gone, Jets will trade down and look at Jones/Jackson.

There is a ton of talent in this draft at WR. I don't think any of us would be mad with a top 4 OT in round 1 and a combination of any of the below receivers in rds 2-3:

Pittman, Reagor, Hamler, Aiyuk, Shenault, Higgins, Claypool, Edwards, Van Jefferson, Bowden, Duvernay, DPJ, Gabe Davis.....I can go on and on. 

Pretty simple to me, pick will be OT.

The pick will be OT if the right OT falls to 11.  He won't reach for a guy he doesn't want there.  Its unrealistic to assume that JD loves all 4 of those OTs, in fact I can guarantee that he doesn't.  If the right OT doesn't fall to 11, we will see a WR here and OT in rd 2 or a trade back .

2 minutes ago, dcat said:

The pick will be OT if the right OT falls to 11.  He won't reach for a guy he doesn't want there.  Its unrealistic to assume that JD loves all 4 of those OTs, in fact I can guarantee that he doesn't.  If the right OT doesn't fall to 11, we will see a WR here and OT in rd 2 or a trade back .

Ok--maybe you are right. I will double down here, a WR will not be our rd 1 pick. Maybe it's not OT at 11, but it's going to be OT in Rd 1. 

3 hours ago, BayRaider said:

In my final mock in the mock section, have you guys doing pretty well:

11. OT Tristan Wirfs

48. EDGE Terrell Lewis

68. WR Laviska Shenault

79. IOL Robert Hunt

You are one of three teams I gave an A+ to, the other two being the Bengals and Broncos. 

Shenault falls to the 3rd because of injuries. Although I’m lower on him than most, with a Late 2nd Round grade. 

I’d be all over this like a cheap suit!! If we had those four picks from 3 rounds I’d be ecstatic. Throw in Devin Deverney and a CB like Reggie Robinson in rounds 4&5 and I’d be one happy man 😎 

• Like 1

2 weeks out and the only OT I would take over the WR is Wills. He’s the only guy I think fits our scheme and is relatively safe and sound. The other guys either don’t fit well or are a little risky. I’m more on the fence of which WR I like most. Every day I change my mind. It’s close but I think my personal preference is Wills > Ruggs > Jeudy > Lamb > Wirfs

Go WR at 11. Then just go ham on OL.

Id be most excited to draft Ruggs though. The thought of an offensive unit of Ruggs, Perriman, Crowder, Herndon, Bell. We will have a matchup advantage with one of those players every week. Takeaway the deep ball, ok we feed Crowder, Herndon and Bell all day. 

Edited by SDotNova
  • Like 2