2020 NFL Draft: Discussion, Reports, Rumors, and Studies

jetskid007

As I’ve said all along I think grabbing a top WR and then OT is a better combo. Especially with Bectons drug test now. A trade up sending 1 of our 3rds with our 2nd for a OT we really like makes sense. I just can’t see all of Becton, Jones, Jackson, Cleveland and Niang (You could even throw Peart in there as well) all going after us in Round 1. Someone will be there for us if we want to trade up for one of those guys.

• Like 1

If Becton or one of the OTs makes it past Tampa Bay I can see a drop to the late 20's for any one of them.

Minnesota and Miami are the only teams in the 20's I see drafting an OT right now.

Seattle almost always trades back.

Draft Lamb if he's there

Move up to 1.27(680) using 2.49(410) and 3.68(250)

Draft Cleveland, Jones or a potentially falling top 4 OL. We've seen crazier things happen.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

If Becton or one of the OTs makes it past Tampa Bay I can see a drop to the late 20's for any one of them.

Minnesota and Miami are the only teams in the 20's I see drafting an OT right now.

Draft Lamb if he's there

Draft Cleveland, Jones or a potentially falling top 4 OL. We've seen crazier things happen.

YES

1 hour ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Draft Lamb if he's there

I've been screaming this for 2 weeks now.  Just think... on opening day (whenever that may be) we might see Lamb plus one of Josh jones/Becton/Austin Jackson at OT in our starting lineup.  I know everyone is hungry to trade back to get more non elite picks... but dammit to hell if we leave this draft without one elite, top rated player.  I do NOT want a trade back from 11.  Doing so leans towards settling for extra mediocrity instead of populating the roster with as many studs as possible.  

Edited by dcat
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Draft Lamb if he's there

Absolutely, crazy things can happen.

Despite our comical draft history, we’ve actually had some luck lately with players falling to us. We’ve hit on a few in the first round, but how many times has a player we’ve all been banging the table for been available in the later rounds and Idzik and Macc passed ( Dalvin Cook, Metcalf etc etc) or traded out of the pick. 

Hopefully JD is aggressive and Pulls the trigger. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dcat said:

I've been screaming this for 2 weeks now.  Just think... on opening day (whenever that may be) we might see Lamb plus one of Josh jones/Becton/Austin Jackson at OT in our starting lineup.  I know everyone is hungry to trade back to get more non elite picks... but dammit to hell if we leave this draft without one elite, top rated player.  I do NOT want a trade back from 11.  Doing so leans towards settling for extra mediocrity instead of populating the roster with as many studs as possible.  

What I think happened is the 4 OTs got talked up so much that other prospects were looked at more closely and teams started to see that the drop off isn’t as vast. They all have weaknesses but there’s some good tools there as well. 

For me what sold me on maybe going WR is that it would hurt me more seeing Lamb become an All Pro/Pro Bowler than one of the OTs becoming an All-Pro/Pro Bowler. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

As I’ve said all along I think grabbing a top WR and then OT is a better combo. Especially with Bectons drug test now. A trade up sending 1 of our 3rds with our 2nd for a OT we really like makes sense. I just can’t see all of Becton, Jones, Jackson, Cleveland and Niang (You could even throw Peart in there as well) all going after us in Round 1. Someone will be there for us if we want to trade up for one of those guys.

I really have to say the people on this board have done a wonderful job analyze the players in this years draft. I get more info from this forum than I get from the entire professional media.

• Like 2

Just now, jetsfan4life51 said:

Seriously we need elite talent.  We never have it!  We always take DL and safe picks, aside for Jamal and hopefully Sam we haven't drafted anyone elite in a long time.  Lamb or Jeudy for me.

Same for me.  We've been so OT starved ever since Brick abandoned us, that I think sane reasoning has left the house. 

The way I look at it now, go get the explosive, game changing playmaker (that we haven't had since.................  how many decades?)  for our young, developing, mobile, QB ...particularly when he is a QB who is not very accurate, improvises a lot, throws on the run often and even when there is not much pressure... (watch his tape) ...  and this all just screams Cee Dee, doesn't it? Cee Dee, of all WRs in this rich WR draft, yes Cee Dee, is going to be the best fit with his abilities to adjust, contort, track and deal with a mobile, improvising QB who rarely puts the ball where it is initially intended to be.  Think Favre when you think Darnold.   JD knows his OL stuff, allegedly, so I would trust him to get an rock solid OT with the next pick...  move up to get whatever OT you like, and there will certainly be an OT or three that he likes there.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, dcat said:

Same for me.  We've been so OT starved ever since Brick abandoned us, that I think sane reasoning has left the house. 

The way I look at it now, go get the explosive, game changing playmaker (that we haven't had since.................  how many decades?)  for our young, developing, mobile, QB ...particularly when he is a QB who is not very accurate, improvises a lot, throws on the run often and even when there is not much pressure... (watch his tape) ...  and this all just screams Cee Dee, doesn't it? Cee Dee, of all WRs in this rich WR draft, yes Cee Dee, is going to be the best fit with his abilities to adjust, contort, track and deal with a mobile, improvising QB who rarely puts the ball where it is initially intended to be.  Think Favre when you think Darnold.   JD knows his OL stuff, allegedly, so I would trust him to get an rock solid OT with the next pick...  move up to get whatever OT you like, and there will certainly be an OT or three that he likes there.

I think CeeDee is the best WR to come out in a while and the best fit for us. Guys like him don't grow on trees yet every year there's a similar crop of OTs. There will always be OTs every draft no matter what.  We don't always have a Lamb or Jeudy at WR (safe bet AND potential to be elite) so that's another reason why I think we have to go WR. 

Maybe I wasn't familiar with Corey Davis, Mike Williams and that class but the best prospect out of the past few years was Amari Cooper and even though I was in love with him I don't think he's Jeudy or Lamb. That's 5 years ago! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

And who knows...maybe Becton falls because of a supplement he took, not any drug, and didn't realize (yes it happens) and we trade up for him. Not too bad.

You weren’t giving him dodgy supplements were you!!?! Getting him to fall to our second round pick!! 

• Like 2

If we walk away with any of the four tackles or three WRs at 11 I will be excited. At 48 grab whatever you didn't in the first. Sounds like a simple plan but to me this draft is that simple for the first two rounds. 

I can see the allure of trading back up into the first with one of our third rounders and if a guy they love is slipping then fo for it. I just feel like if they can hold off then we have a real shot at taking top 80 players all at positions of need which would be nice. 

31 minutes ago, MoLewis57 said:

If we walk away with any of the four tackles or three WRs at 11 I will be excited. At 48 grab whatever you didn't in the first. Sounds like a simple plan but to me this draft is that simple for the first two rounds. 

I can see the allure of trading back up into the first with one of our third rounders and if a guy they love is slipping then fo for it. I just feel like if they can hold off then we have a real shot at taking top 80 players all at positions of need which would be nice. 

I used to feel the exact same way.  For me it has morphed into one elite + one top tier >>>>>>> waaay better then >>>>>> one elite + two 2nd tier.  But either way is fine actually so long as we do not give up that #11.  We MUST come out of this draft with one elite talent.  Trading back pretty much closes out that option.

• Like 2