2020 NFL Draft: Discussion, Reports, Rumors, and Studies

jetskid007

4 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

2 days away and my big board is this....

1. CeeDee Lamb

2. Jerry Jeudy

3. Jedrick Wills

4. Tristan Wirfs

5. Henry Ruggs III

6. Andrew Thomas

My big board is very similar 

1. CeeDee Lamb

2. Jerry Jeudy

3. Henry Ruggs III

4. Andrew Thomas

5. Jedrick Wills

6. Tristan Wirfs

Need a legit #1 and playmaker for Sam 

Edited by bspice

2 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

JD didn't sit in Sam's living room and tell him he was going to protect him with Fant and Edoga.  For all those WR lovers out there my gut says you are in for disappointment.  It's going to be one of the big 4 OTs as it should be.

If I had to bet I think we go OL as well.

But to think that a 2nd round WR is just obscenely more talented than a 2nd round OT is pretty baffling to me. I mean KJ Hamler isn’t so much better of a WR than Lucas Niang or Matthew Peart are as OTs. (Just some examples)

Just heard the Joe Douglas interview with Scott and Hahn. A few takeaways.

Douglas is looking for players who play like Jets (bringing back the Rex motto). Basically, all weather guys who love football.

He loves Jamal.

When drafting, he factors in the depth at a position. Reading into that a bit.... he may not go WR in the first (could be smoke though)

Positions he thinks are deep: RB, WR, OT, DT, CB

Watching the tape is the most important aspect of a scouting but he does believe each position needs a baseline of athleticism

The organization has a sense of urgency to surround Darnold with players

Edited by SDotNova

25 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

JD didn't sit in Sam's living room and tell him he was going to protect him with Fant and Edoga.  For all those WR lovers out there my gut says you are in for disappointment.  It's going to be one of the big 4 OTs as it should be.

But he also talked about adding dynamic playmakers for Sam too. They have improved the OL some this offseason where it’s not going to be as bad as last year. It’s not where we want it but it’s improved enough to warrant going WR at #11 and giving Sam a player to grow with for years to come. 

I won’t be devastated if we go OT at 11 but I just think it would be a mistake not going Lamb, Jeudy, or Ruggs. 

Sam to Lamb... Now doesn’t that sound good as it just rolls off the tongue nicely!

I've been thinking how about the best potential WR/OT combo we could come away with. It's tough. If you told me we could come away with a top 4 OT and Aiyuk + Van jefferson-ish type of combination, I think I would go with that. But Juedy & Lamb are so good, It's hard for me to knock it. 

Pin this: Lucas Niang is not a good prospect. He's an overrated one who may fall to the 5th-6th round. 

Peardt is a solid, developmental tackle who has a similar profile to Edoga for better or for worse. But to suggest the Jets would be better off going WR in the 1st and reach on him in the 2nd rather taking one of the top tackle prospects in round 1 and any of the wide receivers in round 2 is kind of outrageous. Heck, Hamler is considered a 1st round prospect among some in the NFL, and had he not been limited by the diminished offseason would have been more hyped... he's kind of out-of-sight, out-of-mind whose range is unanimously somewhere between 45-75 both in league circles and in the media, whereas Peardt is looked at as a player who should go between 60-120!

More realistic, assuming WR at 11: whatever fallen talent is there at 48 (WR/CB/DE), followed by OT at 68... the value for an OT at 48 is going to be pitiful, and reaching for one doesn't make much sense. 

By the way, the Jets are comfortable waiting until the 3rd round before drafting a receiver. That's what I have heard and Daniel Jeremiah kind of eluded to it in his pre-draft conference call. Douglas will let the board fall to them, and there's a very distinct possibility they draft a CB (possibly a specific DE) in round 2 based on what I've heard. He is in the camp of executives that believes day 1 WR starters will be drafted well into the 5th round. No reason to take one in round 2 if the value will remain rich in round 3. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, football guy said:

Pin this: Lucas Niang is not a good prospect. He's an overrated one who may fall to the 5th-6th round. 

Peardt is a solid, developmental tackle who has a similar profile to Edoga for better or for worse. But to suggest the Jets would be better off going WR in the 1st and reach on him in the 2nd rather taking one of the top tackle prospects in round 1 and any of the wide receivers in round 2 is kind of outrageous. Heck, Hamler is considered a 1st round prospect among some in the NFL, and had he not been limited by the diminished offseason would have been more hyped... he's kind of out-of-sight, out-of-mind whose range is unanimously somewhere between 45-75 both in league circles and in the media, whereas Peardt is looked at as a player who should go between 60-120!

More realistic, assuming WR at 11: whatever fallen talent is there at 48 (WR/CB/DE), followed by OT at 68... the value for an OT at 48 is going to be pitiful, and reaching for one doesn't make much sense. 

By the way, the Jets are comfortable waiting until the 3rd round before drafting a receiver. That's what I have heard and Daniel Jeremiah kind of eluded to it in his pre-draft conference call. Douglas will let the board fall to them, and there's a very distinct possibility they draft a CB (possibly a specific DE) in round 2 based on what I've heard. He is in the camp of executives that believes day 1 WR starters will be drafted well into the 5th round. No reason to take one in round 2 if the value will remain rich in round 3. 

Niang would probably be a 1st rounder if he didn’t get injured last season. So I don’t agree. Daniel Jeremiah has also said he wouldn’t be surprised at all if the Jets chose a WR.